Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Which is precisely why I look both ways before crossing the street of politics as the wrangling continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I view it as installing a bunch of Hoover clones in levels of government that can be dangerous when it comes to establishing policies based on personal objectives.

Do you know how immensely disgusting it is for our government to coerce companies into toeing the line in their support for a vile, nasty government?
    Do you realize that she is Not violating those laws, which ban the state from doing business with companies boycotting a vile government? or did you just assume and not read?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Did you know that Tlaib is violating two state laws by pushing her agenda of BDS against Israel? Public Acts 526 and 527 of 2016,

This thread has nothing to do with Detroit and should be in the non-Detroit Issues section.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    One crazy member of congress can do far less damage than an out of control pathological president.
    Yes, and fortunately Lyndon Johnson is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This thread has nothing to do with Detroit and should be in the non-Detroit Issues section.
    👍🏼 Agreed

^^^ Yep. Makes even more sense considering little is being done for Detroiter's [[her constituency) in this case!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Did you know that Tlaib is violating two state laws by pushing her agenda of BDS against Israel? Public Acts 526 and 527 of 2016,
    My bad. Maybe I should have said she is encouraging other governments as well as our own, other business's as well as our own, other people as well as our own to BDS Israel.

Does that work?

I didn't know that our legislature passed it. It was a bi partisan effort.

Default A world without Israel

She’s not just criticizing and attacking an oppressive or inhumane government, she wants every single man, woman, and child in Israel to no longer exist. Look at the map!
    Name:  jews [[2).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  222.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    She’s not just criticizing and attacking an oppressive or inhumane government, she wants every single man, woman, and child in Israel to no longer exist. Look at the map!

Do you realize there was no 'State of Israel' before a UN paper shuffle in the 1950s? I'd love to see that shuffle reversed.

And how long has this enmity between the two been going on? Ten years or more than a thousand if you back before 1950. Who can solve it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Do you realize there was no 'State of Israel' before a UN paper shuffle in the 1950s? I'd love to see that shuffle reversed.
    What a bunch of camelcrap!

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Are you defining 'anti-semitic' as 'opposing policies for the state of Israel"? That isn't the typical definition, so clearing that up would help us understand what you mean.
    I shouldn't have tossed in 'anti-semitic'.

No, I won't clear that up here. Hoping discussion focuses on Representative Tlaib's support of her local district vs. foreign policy.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but calling out the Ilitches for misleading [[at best) on the sports facility and related is good for me to hear. That she's proposed a few more than average bills is also good news. [[But of course unless they are 'passable' bills, they might just be foreign policy aspirations in support of her myopic views on the Middle East.)

The wisdom or prudence of the conduct of the Palestinians and Israels isn't local politics. Let's leave it for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Tlaib is the representative of much of Detroit, so its completely relevant to Detroit.

Of course there is a foreign policy issue that has brought Rep. Tlaib into focus lately. But agreed that many posts here don't even touch on local policy. Tossing out the baby with the bathwater isn't the right response, however. Some posts will always be off topic. [[And I regret that I even put a hint of politics in mine.). But do you really think its not appropriate to discuss Rep. Tlaib's representation?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And how long has this enmity between the two been going on? Ten years or more than a thousand if you back before 1950. Who can solve it?
    The sons of Abraham and their mothers can't get along.
    Sort of like the sons of Adam. Cain slew Abel and Seth knew not why...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yes, and fortunately Lyndon Johnson is long gone.
    This might be opening a can of worms, but [[IMO) if we could remove the Vietnam conflict from history, LBJ would be remembered as one of our greatest presidents.

^ if the shoe fits.

Trump really does not need to paint her in any picture,her actions speak for themself.
    In my opinion, by singling out Tlaib, Trump shows he has no political acumen. No matter what he says about Tlaib, he has no chance of flipping the 13th. Additionally, by picking on a woman of middle eastern descent, he bolsters the claims of those who paint him as a misogynist and a racist.

^ after restoring Mara largo back to it original design Trump did the one thing that the first gated community in America tried stopping for over 100 years.

He opened the doors to those who were African American,Jewish,women,openly gay and those not a part of the socially elite.

The one thing that people fail to understand is Trump only sees green from a buisness aspect,he really does not care what color you are or what gender.

It stands to reason that the better the country does the better his companies do,it would not bode well to remove those who are a part of that equation.

People are going to believe what they choose to believe,there is nothing Trump can do to change that.

He comes from of a world of results count and everything else is BS.

He does have a habit of telling things like he sees it,some do not like that approach but the whole PC correctness was wearing a bit thin.

What surprises me the most was Detroit was know as a tough gritty city where people preferred to be told like it is,it seems to have changed a bit.

Talib sponsored a couple of good bills when it comes to predatory pay day loans,like hundreds before her,insurance credit rating use and maybe a couple of others,but when she tried sticking that whole guaranteed monthly check and taking a page out of Bernie’s book,people saw right through her.

She May be smart but she is the new kid in the block,last in line behind many that have been playing the game a lot longer then she has.

Some may prefer to say it is Trumps fault but she made her own bed by standing up a shouting look at me,she demanded attention,she got it alright.

I kinda lost respect for her when she stands up and uses the whole mother with children line,while shouting a obscene word towards the president of the United States,weather you agree with him or not,I have to wonder if as a mother with that mouth,does she say the same things in front of her children,which surly they have heard it by now.

Is that the best way to be the better person towards the one you supposedly cannot stand.

Is she not supposed to set an example of leadership without blaming everybody else?

She is not acting very lady like so she cannot really expect to be treated as such,besides these days it does not matter if she is a woman or not and should have no bearing on anything.

All things being equal right?
    Last edited by Richard; August-19-19 at 05:16 PM.

He comes from of a world of ...
    ... bankruptcies and failed businesses.

Meddle... you forgot unpaid debts and lawsuits.... oh wait... bankruptcies covers part of that.

Then there's the shroud of secrecy. Funny how he was goading Obama to show his birth certificate, when he [[under penalty of lawsuits) won't allow the showing his tax returns, school grades, etc....

Such transparency!!

Yep, which makes her even more martyred to the level she can say/ what she wants/ Trump reacts/ restart the machine/ re-wash/ rinse/ reset to 'larger' load. Yack-yak. We'll never be able sort out the light from the heat... truth from affirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Additionally, by picking on a woman of middle eastern descent, he bolsters the claims of those who paint him as a misogynist and a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not talking about what she actually does. I'm talking about how Trump can sway votes by painting the Democrats to be scary, left wing nut jobs like her.
    Pfft.. He can paint away. The picture he's created is that of a bully picking on a girl. His artistry has cost him the female demographic. Not a smart move considering we outnumber men an average 2 to 3 percentage points per state with only a few exceptions and we vote in greater number.

This is just the beginning...

There is a new caucus in town.

A shift in focus for sure in the representation of the 13th Congressional District of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    SheÂ’s not just criticizing and attacking an oppressive or inhumane government, she wants every single man, woman, and child in Israel to no longer exist. Look at the map!
    Name:  jews [[2).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  222.3 KB

whoever wrote that original blog post needs to learn how to spell Israel.

-- as a sidebar: there are black and Arab citizens of Israel. "wiping them all out" is a popular meme shared by outright terror groups [[Al Qaeda/ISIS) and narratives popularized by American evangelicals [[who are frequently monomaniacal about The Rapture) and those content with the post-1967 status quo.

A high volume of Americans in general would be hard pressed to even be knowledgeable about the history of "contemporary" Palestine [that is to say, events that have nothing to do with Biblical/Abrahamic literature] from the late 19th century forward. This demographic knows nothing about the ethnic migrations, the cooperative lifestyles, the colonialism, which all played a part in the evolution of the area.

Jimmy Carter's book Peace, Not Apartheid gives a very nuanced view of the conflict, but this book is scarcely known stateside, and the right-wing culture relentlessly mocks Carter as the super-liberal [[he was rather centrist) who lost to Reagan.

It is fair to disagree with Tlaib's positions, but absolutely unfair to call her anti-Semitic.

If she is anti-Semitic, Gideon Levy, author of this editorial published today in Haaretz [[Israel's longest published newspaper), must be too:

Tlaib and Omar Make Things Clear About South Africa’s Successor
    U.S. lawmakers Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib helped reveal the truth about Israel to their country and the world
    https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...ssor-1.7691994
    Last edited by bust; August-19-19 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It is fair to disagree with Tlaib's positions, but absolutely unfair to call her anti-Semitic.

If she is anti-Semitic, Gideon Levy, author of this editorial published today in Haaretz [[Israel's longest published newspaper), must be too:

Tlaib and Omar Make Things Clear About South Africa’s Successor
    U.S. lawmakers Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib helped reveal the truth about Israel to their country and the world
    https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...ssor-1.7691994

I don't see your analogy. Gideon Levy writes opinion pieces for the paper. [[right in his bio) so, that's his opinion. He's obviously found a niche market where he can get clicks and make money. Omar needs to dry her hair before going on camera.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-20-19 at 06:06 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast