Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Tlaib and Detroit

Great to see Detroit in the news with Tlaib's support of anti-semitic policies. But no need for culture war here. Wondering how her constituents feel about her 'local actions'. How's she doing supporting Detroit and her gerrymandered district. [[Its a great shape, no?)

Not seeing how speaking out against the violently oppressive state of Israel is a bad thing.

How is that the US continues to support them, Saudi Arabia and Malaysia among others who are known for human rights abuses?

The naivete just put forth is impressive.

I guess no Israeli restaurant for Detroit..

Opinions on her opinions are interesting of course -- at least they could be, but...

I'd like to hear how she's doing for her constituents in her district. Any local successes?

And for something closer to home.... she has called out the Ilitches for their taking tax dollars and then not following thru on their promises for District Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ...Wondering how her constituents feel about her 'local actions'.
    Some are beginning to wonder what is she doing for the constituents who voted her in?

Her flip-flopping makes her come off flakey: First saying she would abide by Isreal's request of activity restriction, so as to see her grandmother. Once permission granted she declines.

Setting aside the Trump/ Israeli factor everyone country should have the right of which dignitary/ official that wish to allow.

In the mean time what has she done for her district right here?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not seeing how speaking out against the violently oppressive state of Israel is a bad thing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-18-19 at 10:40 PM.

Trump is rightfully loving her. She's giving him lots of ammunition to paint her and her cohorts as the face of the Democratic party. To all of those voters liking his economic policies who are leaning away from him, he can say, "look they're just as crazy as me."

Wow! I had been thinking of starting a post exactly like this over the past couple days but didn't get around to doing it because I wanted to do the convoluted search functionality here to see if there had been any other threads focusing on Tlaib. Is she representing her district better than John Conyers? Has she done anything for Detroit beyond the grandstanding? [[I guess that's what everyone else is asking, too)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    ... I wanted to do the convoluted search functionality here to see if there had been any other threads focusing on Tlaib....
    Google finds these.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Trump is rightfully loving her. She's giving him lots of ammunition to paint her and her cohorts as the face of the Democratic party. To all of those voters liking his economic policies who are leaning away from him, he can say, "look they're just as crazy as me."
    I can't agree with your logic.

Power in the House rests with the body, not the individual member. One crazy member of congress can do far less damage than an out of control pathological president.

Default Rummaging thru the wiki on Arab-Americans

In a study, Arab Americans living in Detroit were found to have values more similar to that of the Arab world than those of the general population living in Detroit, on average, being more closely aligned to the strong traditional values and survival values. This was less the case when participants were secular, or belonged to second and subsequent generations.[76]

Wesley, is it necessary to be such an asshole? Why don't you just come out and say what the hell you're insinuating.

"Anti-semitic" policies she has discussed are only so if you believe that any action that opposes the current brutal, racist, and repressive regime in Israel is necessarily "anti-semitic". If so, you are also lumping a lot of Jewish Americans into that group.

As for her district, she has been fighting several hard uphill battles for our city, against a senate and an administration that opposes everything about us, and she will be easily reelected here next year.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; August-18-19 at 06:53 PM.

When I saw on the TV talking the way she is I wondered how did she win Conyers district. Doing a little research on the 13th district, ethnicity, candidates, circumstances and connections. She won the whole shebang in the Democratic Primary based on too many votes spread over a base. While her base voted all in.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 751
Size:  62.2 KB
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; August-18-19 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    And for something closer to home.... she has called out the Ilitches for their taking tax dollars and then not following thru on their promises for District Detroit.
    Along with just about everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Along with just about everyone else.
    Yep, and honestly the Illitch related problems are a local/state level issue. Whatever her opinion might be on them she's now our representative in Washington, not Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Yep, and honestly the Illitch related problems are a local/state level issue. Whatever her opinion might be on them she's now our representative in Washington, not Lansing.
    Ah... but she's the only politician so far with enough backbone to call the Ilitches out... city and state government haven't said a word.

Besides, she didn't take office in Washington until Jan. 3, 2019. So she was a politician in Michigan when many of the backroom DDA and DEGC deals were made for the Ilitches to get taxpayer money. Having that done while she was in Michigan [[representing a district in Detroit) gives her every right to complain...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

How is that the US continues to support them, Saudi Arabia and Malaysia among others who are known for human rights abuses?
    1000000000%

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    When I saw on the TV talking the way she is I wondered how did she win Conyers district. Doing a little research on the 13th district, ethnicity, candidates, circumstances and connections. She won the whole shebang in the Democratic Primary based on too many votes spread over a base. While her base voted all in.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 751
Size:  62.2 KB

Did anyone ever find out where her campaign funding came from? I remember she had raised 3 times the amount of the next highest candidate.

But she's not making things look good either. Good times from Michigan/ Detroit. Ugh......

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    ...One crazy member of congress can do far less damage than an out of control pathological president.

And to think all of these joyous choices resulting from Conyer's senior stepping down, without leaving an adequate successor!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Did anyone ever find out where her campaign funding came from? I remember she had raised 3 times the amount of the next highest candidate.

I was able to google up her campaign finance report, which has a handy "Compare to opposing candidates" button along the left column:

between 12/1/17 & 12/31/2018, Tlaib raised $1,666,003.30.

For a house seat.

The next highest amount for that district was $650,509 raised by William Wild. Brenda Jones raised $270,417.42.

I didn't dig too deeply but when I clicked on the "Browse Receipts" button, only 8 out of the first 100 contributions I saw were from Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Wesley, is it necessary to be such an asshole? Why don't you just come out and say what the hell you're insinuating.

"Anti-semitic" policies she has discussed are only so if you believe that any action that opposes the current brutal, racist, and repressive regime in Israel is necessarily "anti-semitic". If so, you are also lumping a lot of Jewish Americans into that group.

As for her district, she has been fighting several hard uphill battles for our city, against a senate and an administration that opposes everything about us, and she will be easily reelected here next year.
    Unless you are referring to the administration at the state level on the federal level Detroit is the very essence of MAGA and it started before the current president came into office.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast