Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grafitti on railroad cars

Perhaps this should go to the "non-Detroit" thread, but since it appears to be happening in Detroit also, allow my questions.

Railroad cars throughout America and Canada are absolutely overloaded with horrible grafitti markings. It makes our entire transportation routes in America look like a fourth-world country [[I'll not give it the satisfaction of third-world). Not only does it look totally stupid, but they cover up necessary car information for switching and dispatching.

Who in God's name are these morons; what is their malfunction, and what in the heck can be done about it?

I would submit that any person who pays or steals cans of spray paint to consume their fetishis has a severe mental problem.

Were I younger, I would gladly patrol railyards in search of these mentally handicapped people, and if found, give their bodies a completly new coloring appearance. Starting with the hair. And using their paint, of course.

Those who engage in any kind of grafitti are mental morons.

What happened to set you off on that topic? It seems out of character for you.

As a former[[occasional) Graffiti writer[[that's what we like to be called) I love it and want to see more of it. Even the shitty stuff. Don't get me wrong don't fuck up someones house, but billboards and railcars? Have at em

In fairness I've seen railroad car grafiti across Europe from France to Estonia. It's not just an American thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    What happened to set you off on that topic? It seems out of character for you.
    I've been enjoying taking literal Amtrak trips across the country via YouTube. Very relaxing and I hope to take a trip myself in the next year. But there's rarely a RR car without markings from some self-important yahoo. They are nothing but ugly. As are the markings on the many buildings of Detroit. With rare exception, they are also very childish and show the educational development of the artist as perhaps fifth grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I've been enjoying taking literal Amtrak trips across the country via YouTube. Very relaxing and I hope to take a trip myself in the next year. But there's rarely a RR car without markings from some self-important yahoo. They are nothing but ugly....
    Okay, that's understandable. Sounds like fun. Take pics! Post 'em!

I Googled "graffiti" and I have to agree with you.

In the process, I ran across this:

Then I realized that this very post, my own post, is graffiti too. characterscharacterscharacter
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-13-19 at 09:43 PM.

Hey Ray.... look at the carnage that was done to these two Detroit commercial buildings. They didn't even use spray paint. Someone named Ouizi just did a roll and run paint job... oh the horror!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Well, Ray, I too have more days behind me than I do in front of me. So a few years ago I found in a basement a few O-gauge Lionel cars that were pretty beat up. The trucks were pretty solid, so I cleaned them and they roll smoothly, but the bodies were a little too close to an old oil burning furnace and were really discolored. So I grafittid them. They sit on my track, as if in Milwaukee Junction on a hot summer day. I thought it was a good use of some old beat up model train cars.

I wonder about the extent to which railcar graffiti is a manifestation of young males marking their territory to make their presence known. Ditto playing loud music and 50's type revving of engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hey Ray.... look at the carnage that was done to these two Detroit commercial buildings. They didn't even use spray paint. Someone named Ouizi just did a roll and run paint job... oh the horror!!

I guess my question to you would be what does a professionally painted building have to do with crap like this?

Name:  Boxcar Graffitti.JPG
Views: 2155
Size:  142.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Okay, that's understandable. Sounds like fun. Take pics! Post 'em!

I Googled "graffiti" and I have to agree with you.

In the process, I ran across this:

Then I realized that this very post, my own post, is graffiti too. characterscharacterscharacter

That puts you and banksy in the same category as cave dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    As a former[[occasional) Graffiti writer[[that's what we like to be called) I love it and want to see more of it. Even the shitty stuff. Don't get me wrong don't fuck up someones house, but billboards and railcars? Have at em
    Why doesn't it surprise me you would engage in criminal activity?

Sounds like a question you should be asking yourself

I'm not the one that publicly admitted to trespassing and destroying public and private property.

If I were Admin here, I'd forward your post to authorities along with your IP address[[es).

I'll just pull up a chair.
    Name:  Amused-Bill-Hader-Eating-Popcorn.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  24.5 KB

I will too. Really shakin in my boots.

I'm loving the murals abounding. Very nice. But the crap graphitti needs to go.

It only makes the city look dismal, defaces property, and it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I guess my question to you would be what does a professionally painted building have to do with crap like this?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-14-19 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    In fairness I've seen railroad car grafiti across Europe from France to Estonia. It's not just an American thing.
    I’ll echo this sentiment. Eastern Europe rail line graffiti is commonplace on sound barriers, bridge overpasses and trains.

You have a point, there is no graffiti on this train but I would rather have some graffiti making it look 4th world than this Name:  train.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  122.3 KB

I don't mind it on rail cars. I know its someone's property too but seems a little more harmless. I have seen model trains with simulated graffiti and thought that was a cool thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Sounds like a question you should be asking yourself
    Like you would be asking yourself if you would have a problem with others graffiting your personal property?

The UK spends 3.5 million per year removing graffiti from thier transit lines,which help push a 40% increase in operating cost,which also in turn removes a percentage of riders that can no longer afford to use the service.

All because of a few people and thier paint cans.
    Last edited by Richard; August-14-19 at 08:54 AM.

Good, stop cleaning them 🙂 make em look better

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Name:  Boxcar Graffitti.JPG
Views: 2155
Size:  142.5 KB

I dunno - based on the condition of the rail car sans grafitti, it doesn't look like the owner gives a damn about the exterior appearance anyway. Heck, the artistry gives the rusted shell a little je ne sais quoi.

I think the answer is simple. If you don't own it, don't alter it. Seems crazy enough to work.

^^^ Yes! So simple to have been MADE complex! Duh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast