Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Blew out my knee. Again.

Forty years back, when I was still with the DPD, I blew out my left knee jumping off of #2 Auto [[paddy wagon, for you Irish folks), and had a fairly short recovery after surgery paid for by the C of D.

Recently, about last May, I screwed up my RIGHT knee; never knew exactly what I did that caused it. Over the last weeks, it got progressively worse to the point that I can hardly walk. Appointment with me knee doctor tomorrow, but I fear surgery is in the cards. No problem, what is to be is to be.

I'm hopeful that recovery will be as quick 'tomorrow' as it was in the past. But at 85, fingers need to be crossed hard. I'll letcha know how it goes But in closing, I have this thought.

Getting old sucks.

Wishing you the best Ray. But if you are hobbled for a while, start a thread about your experiences in the DPD or in Nevada.. Always good to hear from you.

Hello Ray!

Some of my genetics lean towards the arthritic knee joy - so I feel you ----

Stay as active as you can rather you need surgery or not.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-02-22 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    -

Stay as active as you can rather you need surgery or not.
    Oh, I do that pretty well. Although my right arm does not get as much exercise as it used to since the slot machines went all electronic and eliminated the pull lever.

Well, it went just fine. Doc looked it over, gave me a cortisone shot, and I feel like a new knee was put in place. Hope it lasts.

Been an unusual summer this year so far. Lots of t/storms all around, although the paper sez we're still below normal. Lake Mead has risen three inches.

Ray1936, 3 years ago I had my right knee start bothering me one morning, and it lasted for about 6 months. It wasn't really bad, but I did have problems in getting up from sitting down, and especially climbing stairs. I wore an ace bandage on the knee about half the time. Eventually it went away by its self.

Since I sleep on my side [switch in the middle of the night], I thought that maybe I slept funny with the knees that night. Now I sleep with a thin cushion between the knees, and I haven't had a problem with it in these last 2 1/2 years.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-03-22 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Now I sleep with a thin cushion between the knees, and I haven't had a problem with it in these last 2 1/2 years.
    Don't think that would work for me, because it seems I toss and turn a lot during the night [[I sleep well, but that's what friend wife tells me). But I'll keep that in mind. Thx.

A few years ago I too had enough knee pain to worry whether I'd even be able to walk. But like other aches & pains it went away without treatment, never to return {at least to that degree}.

For anyone considering getting a walker, get the newer design with a seat and storage beneath the seat. They're a bit heavier but they do fold for transportation. Sooner or later you're going to need that seat.

Others have recommended NutriJoint, a nutritional supplement containing glucosamine and chondroitin sulfates to protect cartilage but I think it's controversial whether or not it's effective.

A few years ago phone sales people would offer me knee braces. When I told them their braces weren't needed, they'd come back with "But they're free!" I suspect it was a quasi-scam trying to sell unnecessary things just so they could bill Medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    For anyone considering getting a walker, get the newer design with a seat and storage beneath the seat. They're a bit heavier but they do fold for transportation. Sooner or later you're going to need that seat.
    Yes! My late mom [she made it to 88] had one of those, she called it her "Cadillac". She took it whenever I took her shopping, and a few times she had to sit down due to dizziness. I do believe that Medicare will pay for those under the right scenario, IIRC. Binson's geriatric supply carries them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes! My late mom [she made it to 88] had one of those, she called it her "Cadillac". She took it whenever I took her shopping, and a few times she had to sit down due to dizziness. I do believe that Medicare will pay for those under the right scenario, IIRC. Binson's geriatric supply carries them.
    My mom had the kind without a seat and so our path through the parks was limited to wherever there was a place to sit. When I found the seated walker, she could go anywhere she wanted! Any form of liberation is greatly appreciated by the elderly.

Medicare can't pay if the previous walker was purchased more recently than five years earlier so it's best to get the seated model from the start.

I have two for dear wife Marge. One is for around the house, and the other is in the car for when we're out. Saves having to load/unload a lot.

Default Dear Ray1936

Dear Ray 1936
    Yes, getting old sucks but I just logged in to see if you were still here....And what's the alternative to getting old? Nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Forty years back, when I was still with the DPD, I blew out my left knee jumping off of #2 Auto [[paddy wagon, for you Irish folks), and had a fairly short recovery after surgery paid for by the C of D.

Recently, about last May, I screwed up my RIGHT knee; never knew exactly what I did that caused it. Over the last weeks, it got progressively worse to the point that I can hardly walk. Appointment with me knee doctor tomorrow, but I fear surgery is in the cards. No problem, what is to be is to be.

I'm hopeful that recovery will be as quick 'tomorrow' as it was in the past. But at 85, fingers need to be crossed hard. I'll letcha know how it goes But in closing, I have this thought.

Getting old sucks.

Vault: The Knee Brace Phone Scam

I posted this a few years ago but it's still funny. I thought Ray1936 might enjoy it again. Note the retro typewriters.

Barney Miller | Hash | Season 3 Episode 11 Full Episode | Classic TV Rewind

Jack Benny Program: Jack at the Supermarket
    Rochester beat Jack in gin rummy and has taken the afternoon off to play golf, leaving Jack stuck with the household chores. Jack finds out how Rochester cheated and uses it to his advantage. Don Wilson and Dennis Day come to visit, and Dennis sings a song.

Jack leaves for the supermarket, where he encounters Frank Nelson as a salesman. Jack's stingy stage character is shown when he sees a table of free samples of cake.