Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It was horrible last night but this morning it seems much better. Did the powers that be perform some magic last night or just a reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    DetroitYES! has slowed down significantly recently.

I doubt it's just me because there have been very few posts by others.

Is it the bots?

Is there anything we users can do to help, like squirt some Cheese Whiz into those little bot ears and set a match to it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It was horrible last night but this morning it seems much better. Did the powers that be perform some magic last night or just a reboot?
    I've noticed DYes performance recover and relapse several times over the last few days so don't count it over just yet.

Too much security will slow things down. Had a new firewall installed yesterday and initially the down/upload speeds were horrific. A couple adjustments and they were back in the 94.5 mbps realm. Possibly someone needs to do some tweaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've noticed DYes performance recover and relapse several times over the last few days so don't count it over just yet.

Update: I had tried using Cloudflare for spam mitigation--especially bogus bot registrations. That resulted in an excess of security challenges and wasn't stopping that many.

I experimented with switching it off for a week to see what the difference was. There was only a slight increase but the annoying excessive security challenges are gone, so I will be cancelling the subscription.

Thanks for the update.

It sounds like a very annoying problem.

whew! makes me very glad that got back in/on before that happened. Thanks, Lowell, for the extra caution.

and call me a luddite - husband often does - but i'm not on other social media like facebook so i try to keep my personal info limited to more trusted sites like this. [[and the few sites that i AM on, i provide very little personal info.) super-luddite: last week, i ditched my cellphone because, frankly, i don't really need it and don't care to be tracked.

i spent 40+ years as an IT geek so i'm a bit familiar with how info gathering works and, thanks very much, but i'd prefer to be left out.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm49269 View Post
    ... i spent 40+ years as an IT geek so i'm a bit familiar with how info gathering works and, thanks very much, but i'd prefer to be left out.
    You're not alone. What bugs me is that new technology fails in ways unimaginable decades ago but most people just shrug it off as normal. Maybe that's what's driving all the retro fads among the younger set.

what also bugs the jeebers out of me is all of the voice control and video that people allow into their homes. our cable company, dish, sent us a voice-command remote that has never left the box though we keep getting interrupts telling us that we need to "register" it. although they claim that it wouldn't be listening, the "benefit" of activating it isn't worth the possibility of them listening. as to alexa and the rest, NO THANK YOU!

and, while i understand the secure "feeling" one might get from online cameras through the house or at the front door, those can be hacked WAY too easily.

Regarding differentiating between bots and humans:

Earlier today I heard a report [[on NPR?) that it was recently discovered that bots tend to post at a constant rate whereas humans will increase their rate of posts proportional to their interest in the [[political) subject.

Also, the human responses diminished in length [[number of characters) proportional to their diminished interest in the topic whereas the bot retained a constant post length after the confrontation flurry had begun to subside.
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-26-20 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm very familiar how all that works. But to be fair, Google isn't working alone. It's like the old Monkee's song "It's a little bit me, and a little bit you, too". Is the tracking on your phone on? Do you use plastic instead of cash? Do you allow third party cookies when you visit websites? [[yes, they're only making your website visit experience "better") Google is free for the consumer, but you can't run an operation like that on charity. They make up the deficit by providing businesses with leads that, hopefully, will then lead to sales. Ever notice how sales sites you've been to appear on the DY sidebars? [[Lowell in 3, 2, 1...) It's how the world operates these days. Until the implants come along. You know, in case of emergencies, it allows "us" to help YOU.
    I recall a story of a kidnapped young girl and they tracked her phones activities to find where all she had gone that day. ..I believe she was at some point even in the trunk of a car. so SOME tracking can be good for YOU if you come up missing. [[But the rest of the tracking is for THEM

I tried a search for this problem, but maybe I could find help here.
    I installed an ad blocker to try and avoid ad tracking. Now on this site, I get the DetoitYes ad blocking app/notice even though I made the donation and am logged in. Very annoying.

Also, why does Win10 put EVERY click on the apps list on the Edge browser? I now have several hundred to look through to try and close/uninstall an app. I can't find any help online, so I'm looking at you Jimaz and jcole.

So F##k Microsoft and they're confusing updates. Thank you.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-06-21 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    ...Also, why does Win10 put EVERY click on the apps list on the Edge browser? I now have several hundred to look through to try and close/uninstall an app. I can't find any help online, so I'm looking at you Jimaz and jcole.

So F##k Microsoft and they're confusing updates. Thank you.
    I seldom use Edge, but I just opened it up and opened a ton of pages and none of them set up as an app. There is a button that asks if you want to open a page as an app, so make sure that you don't click that. I will continue to look at it and see if I find anything else

I seldom use Edge, but I just opened it up and opened a ton of pages and none of them set up as an app. There is a button that asks if you want to open a page as an app, so make sure that you don't click that. I will continue to look at it and see if I find anything else
    I looked for that button and could not find it. But thanks anyway. Is Microsoft supposed to help or hinder us. They should just offer a basic version for us non-IT people.

Also still getting this - Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad Blocking.

Lowell, do I have to send you a message or email to kindly remove this?
    I'm logged in and donated.

Every click on Edge is saved as an app, which is now several hundred for me. Which one is the Adblocker is impossible to find.

jcole - I would use Firefox or Chrome, but Micros**t blocks and reverts to Edge as the default. AVG has also taken over my Firefox.

Everything internet is just piling on now. [[ex Long Beach State football).
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-06-21 at 06:24 PM.

I looked for that button and could not find it. But thanks anyway. Is Microsoft supposed to help or hinder us. They should just offer a basic version for us non-IT people.

Also still getting this - Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad Blocking.

Lowell, do I have to send you a message or email to kindly remove this?
    I'm logged in and donated.

Every click on Edge is saved as an app, which is now several hundred for me. Which one is the Adblocker is impossible to find.

jcole - I would use Firefox or Chrome, but Micros**t blocks and reverts to Edge as the default. AVG has also taken over my Firefox.

Everything internet is just piling on now. [[ex Long Beach State football).

Are you running Windows 10? You might want to uninstall AVG, and just use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I used to use AVG back in the day, then somewhere along the line it became very invasive. I removed it from a friend's laptop, brought Windows 10 up to date, [[patches and what not) turned on Defender and Firewall, and all the issues went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you running Windows 10? You might want to uninstall AVG, and just use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I used to use AVG back in the day, then somewhere along the line it became very invasive. I removed it from a friend's laptop, brought Windows 10 up to date, [[patches and what not) turned on Defender and Firewall, and all the issues went away.
    Also see if your ISP offers a security suite as part plan at no extra charge. I do both on different window 10 laptops.
    Like HT said one has Defender and Firewall the other Spectrum supplied Security Suite with windows firewall. Both ways have worked quite well.
    My favorite box runs on Linux Ubuntu v. 20.04.2 LTS.
    No need for security stuff. [[knock on wood) Just keep updated, which is soooo simple to do. This computer takes only 17 seconds to boot and ready to go.

Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad Blocking

I tried.

Thanks for all the information
    I knew this was the place to go.

Windows should not be blocking you from changing your browser. You need to change your default. If you are using Win 10, go into settings, go to settings, select Apps, scroll down to Web Browser, click on that and select a different one, whether it's Firefox or Chrome and that should take care of the issue. But you have to have one of those installed as well as Edge.

Also, if you intend to uninstall AVG, go here and follow the directions.
    https://support.avg.com/SupportArtic...pportType=home

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Windows should not be blocking you from changing your browser. You need to change your default. If you are using Win 10, go into settings, go to settings, select Apps, scroll down to Web Browser, click on that and select a different one, whether it's Firefox or Chrome and that should take care of the issue. But you have to have one of those installed as well as Edge.
    I've had a little success with Duckduckgo but Edge is a problem.
    Windows is all kind of screwed up.

Also see if your ISP offers a security suite as part plan at no extra charge. I do both on different window 10 laptops.
    Like HT said one has Defender and Firewall the other Spectrum supplied
    Security Suite with windows firewall. Both ways have worked quite well.
    My favorite box runs on Linux Ubuntu v. 20.04.2 LTS.
    No need for security stuff. [[knock on wood) Just keep updated, which is soooo simple to do. This computer takes only 17 seconds to boot and ready to go.
    I tried that and ended up with a laptop seizure. Windows is a scam.

It should work the same way. When you try to switch from Edge, you might see a pop up that says, "Before you go...give Edge another chance" Just click "switch anyway"
    I've had a little success with Duckduckgo but Edge is a problem.
    Windows is all kind of screwed up.

Also, where is the "apps" link that is showing hundreds of apps? Is it part of Windows or part of Edge?

My ISP is AT&T, and we know how bad that is. Dial up remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UY7eDRXrs

No, My bad - America Online is better.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-07-21 at 11:41 AM.

I tried to snip it, but it wouldn't take. Yes, there are hundreds of entry's on my start up, for everything I ever clicked on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast