Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
ATWATER PARK COMING ONLINE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »

Default Lions Player Dies on the Field

This is a whole new story that I've never heard of.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2011/10/24/40-years-ago-lions-receiver-chuck-hughes-died-on-tiger-stadium-gridiron/

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2011/10/24/40-years-ago-lions-receiver-chuck-hughes-died-on-tiger-stadium-gridiron/
    Dick Butkus stood above him frantically calling for time. He later said it bothered him forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post

Here's another article about the death of Chuck Hughes. It's obvious from the photo he in the very least lost consciousness before hitting the ground, and quite possibly died mid step. The article also details his medical history and how the fatal heart attack was at least his second.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/footbal...n-an-nfl-game/

The Lions have had some crazy bad luck. In 1991 Mike Utley was paralyzed (I was at that game), and then just a year later Eric Andolsek was killed in a freak accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Here's another article about the death of Chuck Hughes. It's obvious from the photo he in the very least lost consciousness before hitting the ground, and quite possibly died mid step. The article also details his medical history and how the fatal heart attack was at least his second.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/footbal...n-an-nfl-game/

The Lions have had some crazy bad luck. In 1991 Mike Utley was paralyzed (I was at that game), and then just a year later Eric Andolsek was killed in a freak accident.
    Andolsek was killed, just cutting his grass in his front yard, when someone loss control of the vehicle they were driving, left the road, and hit him down in Louisiana. Crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Andolsek was killed, just cutting his grass in his front yard, when someone loss control of the vehicle they were driving, left the road, and hit him down in Louisiana. Crazy....
    It was a 10 wheel flat bed truck. Yikes!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...9,997733&hl=en

I was there that day in Tiger Stadium as a 12 year old, and it is something I will never forget. I think it was pretty clear to everyone there that he was dead by the time they carried him off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I was there that day in Tiger Stadium as a 12 year old, and it is something I will never forget. I think it was pretty clear to everyone there that he was dead by the time they carried him off the field.
    Al, what happened to the guy who was writing a book about Chuck Hughes? I think his user name was badguy. I remember reading a query from him in this forum, asking for people who were at that game for their recollections.

Then you have the Tigers and the 2 players named Aurelio. Aurelio Rodriguez, former 3rd baseman and fan favorite in the '70's, returned to Detroit in his early 50's for an autograph signing. He was having lunch in Mexicantown at 2:00 in the afternoon when a car jumped the sidewalk and killed him.
    Aurelio Lopez, senior smoke, reliever on the 84 championship team, became a local mayor in his hometown in Mexico after retiring. He was also killed in a car accident in his '40's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Al, what happened to the guy who was writing a book about Chuck Hughes? I think his user name was badguy. I remember reading a query from him in this forum, asking for people who were at that game for their recollections.
    I have no idea what happened with him. I sent him an email with the details I could recall from that day (I was only 12, after all), and never heard another word about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Then you have the Tigers and the 2 players named Aurelio. Aurelio Rodriguez, former 3rd baseman and fan favorite in the '70's, returned to Detroit in his early 50's for an autograph signing. He was having lunch in Mexicantown at 2:00 in the afternoon when a car jumped the sidewalk and killed him.
    Aurelio Lopez, senior smoke, reliever on the 84 championship team, became a local mayor in his hometown in Mexico after retiring. He was also killed in a car accident in his '40's.
    Aurelio Rodriguez was one of my favorite Tigers on the '72 division championship team. I still have a bat day bat from that year with his signature on it. His death was one of the saddest unlucky accidents I can ever remember. Both he and Aurelio Lopez were heroes in Mexico. A. Rodriguez played several years in the Mexican League after his U.S. career ended, and won a Mexican League championship as a manager. A. Lopez was, as you said, elected mayor of his hometown, Tecamachalco. Following his tragic death a monument was built to him on the main street and the town's new baseball stadium was named for him. Both Aurelios are in Mexico's baseball Hall of Fame.