Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Weekend road closures by police on Monroe St in Greektown?

It seems the police are blocking Monroe Street [[between Beaubien and St Antoine) every Friday and Saturday night.

I can see no reason for the constant closures, and it blocks off access [[cars and pedestrians) to many of the most popular Greektown establishments.

Perhaps it only gets blocked off after midnight for crowd control problems, but I have seen it blocked during normal calm times with no police emergency or risks unfolding.
    Last edited by night-timer; August-07-19 at 03:16 PM.

Closing the road doesn't block it from pedestrians. It actually probably encourages pedestrians because they don't have to worry about traffic

It’s a safety.measure, as all know crime is once again increasing there,, this way only pedestrians have access, which also allows police easier access and mobility to the whole area if they need to apprehend without trying to get around backed up vehicles.They did this several years ago. Personally, I do like it, you dont have to listening to deafening music, sometimes overrun with lyrics dominated with profanities coming from vehicles.

That stretch of Monroe Ave. should have been a pedestrian zone 30 years ago. They could have done what they are attempting to do to lower Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    It seems the police are blocking Monroe Street [[between Beaubien and St Antoine) every Friday and Saturday night.

I can see no reason for the constant closures, and it blocks off access [[cars and pedestrians) to many of the most popular Greektown establishments.

Perhaps it only gets blocked off after midnight for crowd control problems, but I have seen it blocked during normal calm times with no police emergency or risks unfolding.
    I thought they started doing this to create a Bourbon Street [[New Orleans) or Beale Street [[Memphis) type of entertainment strip that is free of cars and allows people to mix and mingle better than being confined to those narrow sidewalks.

The DSC should be reinstall in Monroe to clean the horse pool that constantly litter that strip

It happen to Beale Street in Memphis. During their festivities like the International BBQ Fest. They have everyone play $5.00 admission just to walk down that Blues District and dine in. This is to keep the riff-raff down. After the last shooting incident mean years back.