Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Neighborhood Market opens in Lower Cass Corridor

ZZ Market & Grill has opened at Cass and Henry in the site of a once hideous liquor store. It sounds like the kind of place any neighborhood would be lucky to have. I just hope they can survive with a lack of regular foot traffic.

Consider this a shot of life to an area with absolutely none. I am happy that they are open and will be sure to give them regular business.

https://zzmarket.com/

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/retail...ld-325-million
    Last edited by DetroitSoldier; August-07-19 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    ZZ Market & Grill has opened at Cass and Henry in the site of a once hideous liquor store. It sounds like the kind of place any neighborhood would be lucky to have. I just hope they can survive with a lack of regular foot traffic.

Consider this a shot of life to an area with absolutely none. I am happy that they are open and will be sure to give them regular business.

It is too bad, being a block from a new, start-of-the-art sports arena, and within an entertainment district termed the "District Detroit", that there is a lack of regular foot traffic there.

I do remember that liquor, it wasn't half bad, as they offered prepared food items like baked chicken and closed at 8 pm to avoid shady elements. I have been riding my bike by this market as it has been worked on, and it will definitely be an improvement.

I hope they go through with building out a patio, they have a large outdoor area on the north side of the building that they can turn into a nice patio space.

I just came from a short trip to Detroit. Drove through Cass Ave and was surprised at how little development there is until you hit WSU.

Oh I'm sure Olympia will find a way to block all the roads around it like they did to Harry's.

Excited this is finally open! Ill have to jump on a scooter and get my happy ass over there for lunch!

What a beautiful building! Glad to see it saved and in use.

Does the store have a parking lot??

The owner [[or whoever this owner is) had to change the style of the Liquor Store where Cass Tech Kids and crackheads used to hang out into a millennial showcase feel for people coming in or out of Little Caesar's Arena and other areas. They had no choice. They are in Illitchville that is called District Detroit. And every business around there have to fix up their businesses or else. To bad for Stadium Liquor next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I just came from a short trip to Detroit. Drove through Cass Ave and was surprised at how little development there is until you hit WSU.
    The restaurants and shops start in earnest once you hit Alexandrine Street, 2 blocks south of where Wayne State starts at Canfield Street. At Cass and Alexandrine you will see Slows to Go, La Feria/Cato Vino [[small plates/wine bar), Royale with Cheese. If you turn to your right towards Woodward, you will see the renovated Strathmore Apartments with a Pure Detroit Store and a coming Poke joint.

You should have seen it in say 1991!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You should have seen it in say 1991!
    That is a sure sign of gentrification with a little hint of white folks.

On paper, seems a lot nicer then the Tom Boy.

^^^ Which was later known as the Tomb when the 'oy' of the neon sign burnt out and was never fixed!

Just look what's possible when Olympia does not own a property.

Wishing the owners success!

But what a shame all the Illitch-owned properties in its immediate vicinity will make that much harder than it should be.

And what an irony to be surrounded by parking lots its customers can't use, and for its customers to need parking because its surrounding parking lot dead zones prevent nearby activity and discourage drawing them in by foot.
    Last edited by bust; August-11-19 at 10:52 AM.

I have been here twice already. Each time I saw at least 6 people working and I think they all said "hello" druing my 10 minutes in the store. Fresh veggies being cut at the deli counter and the lack of bulletproof glass already puts this above any comparable place in the area. There are a couple little things that will make their service more timely as they implement procedures, but I wish we had more places of this quality around town.

The owner told me that a patio will be poured this week, and online ordering will be coming soon.

As for parking, it was free and fast on Henry but that will be tough to catch on event days.

High Schools can bring a lot of lunch and snack business to this type of place but it's a tightrope trying to please the students, while not allowing so many in at once that they overrun your place causing noise, possible theft issues, etc. and don't offend your other customers.
    Last edited by 401don; August-11-19 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Which was later known as the Tomb when the 'oy' of the neon sign burnt out and was never fixed!
    Dont know how many dead hookers were found in the dumpster behind that place but the number was more then one.

A toothless crackhead kissed my hand over there one time. I had to Google if AIDS was transferred through spit, ha

...it isn't btw

I have been here twice already. Each time I saw at least 6 people working and I think they all said "hello" druing my 10 minutes in the store. Fresh veggies being cut at the deli counter and the lack of bulletproof glass already puts this above any comparable place in the area. There are a couple little things that will make their service more timely as they implement procedures, but I wish we had more places of this quality around town.

The owner told me that a patio will be poured this week, and online ordering will be coming soon.

As for parking, it was free and fast on Henry but that will be tough to catch on event days.
    I wish them the best. But, I can't help noticing how similar this delightful feel was to my experience at Ye Old Butcher Shop and the Zaccaros [[?) market, that was on Woodward, south of Mack. This was even before the Whole Foods opened.
    Small markets seem difficult to foster. I think its the American consumer who's stuck on grocery carts teeming with provisions in one weekly visit. We have to start eating like Europeans, focusing on fresh and visiting the grocer almost daily to keep these places in operation.

Or maybe also like some New Yorkers who buy what they can walk with or get on the sub with. Who us?

Buy three weeks worth at Costco/ Sams. LOL!

Well that does not work if you're eating fresh produce? Who has time for that! Buy frozen!!! Just joking----

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    ...We have to start eating like Europeans, focusing on fresh and visiting the grocer almost daily to keep these places in operation.

I think its the American consumer who's stuck on grocery carts teeming with provisions in one weekly visit. We have to start eating like Europeans, focusing on fresh and visiting the grocer almost daily to keep these places in operation.
    I agree 100%. I am fortunate enough to live 3/4 mile from Nino Salvaggio's International Marketplace [[4 in northern suburbs) in St. Clair Shores. I visit there 3 times a week to get fresh produce and other prepared items [[usually riding my bike to get exercise as well as fresh food). If you ever get a chance to visit one of the 4 Nino's [[the one on M-59 & Romeo Plank looks like a large train station)... it's well worth the visit.

It would be great if they opened one near downtown, maybe Corktown. Nino's even exceeds Whole Foods in excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    A toothless crackhead kissed my hand over there one time. I had to Google if AIDS was transferred through spit, ha

...it isn't btw
    Hepatitis is!

Ninos is excellent and yup Zacha, you're right New Yaakers keep these small grocers in business. They don't have a caar though like all these Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree 100%. I am fortunate enough to live 3/4 mile from Nino Salvaggio's International Marketplace [[4 in northern suburbs) in St. Clair Shores. I visit there 3 times a week to get fresh produce and other prepared items [[usually riding my bike to get exercise as well as fresh food). If you ever get a chance to visit one of the 4 Nino's [[the one on M-59 & Romeo Plank looks like a large train station)... it's well worth the visit.

It would be great if they opened one near downtown, maybe Corktown. Nino's even exceeds Whole Foods in excellence.

ROTFL!----You've go that 'they-er' accent down pat!

I do like the idea of the little market you can just 'pop' into for produce [[a little or a lot) all year. Produce is best fresh!!

Ninos is excellent and yup Zacha, you're right New Yaakers keep these small grocers in business. They don't have a caar though like all these Detroiters.