Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default SOMA [South of Mack Ave] Development

On my way to work I saw a bulldozer digging up the location where SOMA and the west elm, are going to be built, Does anyone know whats going on

Seems like a lot of production for lingerie shop? IMO

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Seems like a lot of production for lingerie shop? IMO
    ....Maybe you can shop the clearance section there for your panties

updated renders:

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    On my way to work I saw a bulldozer digging up the location where SOMA and the west elm, are going to be built, Does anyone know whats going on
    They’re probably going to put up a sign saying “Coming Soon”

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    updated renders:

Wow... I really like the look of the 16 story tower... usually critical of a lot of modern architecture, but that blue accent tower looks great!

16 stories... same height as the former Statler... but I won't go there...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wow... I really like the look of the 16 story tower... usually critical of a lot of modern architecture, but that blue accent tower looks great!

Can’t stick build that high lol

Can’t stick build that high lol
    Actually you can, although the People Mover vibration might tip it over:
    https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ly-opens-doors

Mass Timber is not the same as 'stick-built', but we're splitting hairs.

The tallest mass timber tower is now under construction in Milwaukee:
    https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2020/02/0...-timber-tower/

updated renders:

Where did you find these "updated renders"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You can blame Kwame for killing Statler. The city didn't even pretend to care about selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    Where did you find these "updated renders"?
    City Club Website

So is the office portion of SOMA no more? I guess I figured there would be one apartment building but still a portion of the original plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    So is the office portion of SOMA no more? I guess I figured there would be one apartment building but still a portion of the original plan.
    Looks like it. The rendering also doesn't show the planned second parking garage, either. I could care less about a new parking garage, but they were designed to carry extra residential floors at a later date.

I know I must sound quite unhip, but what is "SOMA"?

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    I know I must sound quite unhip, but what is "SOMA"?
    South
    Of
    Mac
    Ave

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Single story retail building facing Mac is kind of a let down. The apartment portion though is very nice though.

Anyone know what's to become of the historic home that sits smack in the middle of this development? Is that planned for residential space as well or some other use?
    The historic home is south of Eliot street, which looks like will be reconnected. The development won't cross Eliot so the home should be undisturbed

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Single story retail building facing Mac is kind of a let down. The apartment portion though is very nice though.

Anyone know what's to become of the historic home that sits smack in the middle of this development? Is that planned for residential space as well or some other use?
    I agree.. I do not understand why this design would not better reflect the the widths of Mack Ave and Eliot Street. Height should be more proportional to street section width. So I would flip the apartment building height to where the single-story retail is. Based on the rendering, the single-story retail looks identical to the City Target in downtown East Lansing, which would be a plus though.

https://www.freep.com/restricted/?re...F4301669001%2F

I don't have access to Freep but saw this summary:

Holtzman's latest plans, building renderings and timetable for completion were unveiled Thursday night at a virtual meeting of the Detroit City Planning Commission in preparation for a Feb. 4 public hearing for a zoning change.

The project's three components are:

A 16-story residential tower with 270 apartments

A six-story midrise with 70 apartments and ground-floor storefronts

A 32,000-square-foot building for a large unnamed retailer

Under the current timetable, the retail building and 70-unit residential midrise could be ready to open at about the same time in early 2023, Kehm said, with the 16-story tower following about three months later. The development also includes a 186-space underground parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by JTburner View Post
    A 32,000-square-foot building for a large unnamed retailer
    Do you think they have a retailer locked in, or are they still trying to TARGET a retailer at this point?

Steve Kehm, a representative for City Club Apartments, told commissioners that the large retailer has asked to keep its identity a secret until later. Documents shared during City Club's presentation described the retailer as a "discount supermarket."
    Let the speculation begin...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Let the speculation begin...
    So... Aldi?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    So... Aldi?
    LOL this. Other unlikely options: WalMart Neighborhood Market, Meijer Neighborhood Market or City Target.

Longshot options: Trader Joes, Lidl, Amazon

Dollar store? Doubtful. Is this allowed per zoning?
    Last edited by hybridy; January-29-21 at 02:16 PM.

A Crain's article from today says,

A one-story, 32,000-square-foot building would have what the document refers to as an unnamed "national general merchandise retailer" that City Club Apartments is currently in negotiations with.
    From a quick Google search, Aldi says their average store is only around half that size at 17,000 SF, so could be something else. Plus there is already an Aldi in Highland Park
    Last edited by JonWylie; January-29-21 at 02:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast