Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lufthansa to launch new DTW-Munich flight in May 2020

Beginning in May 2020, Lufthansa will launch a new non-stop flight between Detroit Metro Airport and Munich, Germany. As announced, the flight will operate on an A350 [[big, new plane) and complement the existing Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt.

For those not familiar with the aviation industry, or its reflection of the local business economy, this is big news. Definitely a solid vote of confidence in Detroit by Lufthansa. The flight should be of great value to travelers as it will offer another opportunity to get a direct flight to Germany, with well timed onward connections to the Middle East and India.

Great news for Detroit, and for the business/tourist traffic who will use this flight.

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...f-626f45321874

When I lived in Germany, the direct Detroit-Munich route that came about from Delta was a godsend. It turned a 2/3 flight 14 hour trip into 8.5 hours direct. As a regular traveler to Germany, I look forward to having another option!

Just like the great Luthansa Heist in the 1970s. Courtesy of Henry Hill and the Goodfellas.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    When I lived in Germany, the direct Detroit-Munich route that came about from Delta was a godsend. It turned a 2/3 flight 14 hour trip into 8.5 hours direct. As a regular traveler to Germany, I look forward to having another option!
    The other nice thing about this flight is that it is timed well for onward Lufthansa connections to the Middle East and India. Given the limited number of good options to reach those areas conveniently from DTW, that aspect alone will make this route appealing to some here in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The other nice thing about this flight is that it is timed well for onward Lufthansa connections to the Middle East and India. Given the limited number of good options to reach those areas conveniently from DTW, that aspect alone will make this route appealing to some here in Metro Detroit.
    100%. Frankfurt captures most of the USA connections in Germany, but Munich has a huge network to the Middle east, asia, and North Africa as well.

Das ist sehr gut. Ich liebe Deutschland und döner kebab!

Well, Deutschland means Germany? I'm pretty done after that....

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Das ist sehr gut. Ich liebe Deutschland und döner kebab!
    I've never tried a döner kebab. They look like good street food, but then my mind goes to the Donner party, and I'm done.

Totally unrelated, but if you like döner, check out Balken House in Hamtramck. They have the most authentic version that I have found in the Detroit area.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    I've never tried a döner kebab. They look like good street food, but then my mind goes to the Donner party, and I'm done.
    Blows a good coney out of the water any day IMHO. Also fries with mayo and/or curry ketchup. Yum I should go back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well, Deutschland means Germany? I'm pretty done after that....
    “This is very good. I love Germany and doner kebab.”

Blows a good coney out of the water any day IMHO. Also fries with mayo and/or curry ketchup. Yum I should go back soon.
    They are different foods, I don't think it is fair to compare... or I suppose you could, but that is like comparing a samosa to pizza. However, I know for me there are plenty of times I would rather have a coney than anything else. It is a personal preference, but I agree that döner kebab is bery good.

GREAT add for DTW. As a aviation fan originally from Detroit, this was very good news to see.

They're putting one of their best planes on the route, as well.

Delta's response will be interesting, but I do think there's room for both on the route. Strong business connection between the countries and Lufthansa's flight will get a lot of connections onward, given none of the ME3 are in Detroit yet.

“This is very good. I love Germany and doner kebab.”
    That's a Turkish food... Germany has Schnitzel, Rouladen, Spaetzle and Bratwurst. If you love desserts... the German KONDITOREI is the equivalent of a French PATISSERIE. Heavenly....

https://www.google.com/search?q=kond...h=674&dpr=1.25

And then there is their wonderful specialty... Black Forest Kirsch Torte...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; August-10-19 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That's a Turkish food... Germany has Schnitzel, Rouladen, Spaetzle and Bratwurst. If you love desserts... the German KONDITOREI is the equivalent of a French PATISSERIE. Heavenly....

https://www.google.com/search?q=kond...h=674&dpr=1.25

And then there is their wonderful specialty... Black Forest Kirsch Torte...
    Döner kebab is the German iteration of the Turkish original. German version is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Totally unrelated, but if you like döner, check out Balken House in Hamtramck. They have the most authentic version that I have found in the Detroit area.

German-style doner kebab sensation Balkan House opening new location in Ferndale

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ck/4110496002/

The more döner the better!!