Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Kroger that once was on McNichols

Hello all,
    I'm sure i'm coming to the right place.
    I live near the liberty market on 10620 W. McNichols.
    I am looking for any pictures of the old Kroger Market that once was in its place.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm sure i'm coming to the right place.
    I live near the liberty market on 10620 W. McNichols.
    I am looking for any pictures of the old Kroger Market that once was in its place.
    Thanks in advance
    How about these Old Kroger Stores

1. Plymouth and Metettal St.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3724...7i16384!8i8192

2. Second and Prentis St.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3523...7i16384!8i8192

Here's my favorite. Gratiot Ave. and E. 7 Mile Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4371...7i16384!8i8192

^^The one on Second and Prentis, looked kinda small, for a Kroger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^The one on Second and Prentis, looked kinda small, for a Kroger.

Most Kroger locations were small like a friendly neighborhood mom and pop store just like their first store on the corner of Mack and Moross.

Any idea when it switched from Kroger to Liberty? Or when the Kroger first opened?

I remember it from the '60's. I attended Schultz Elementary and would love to see some old photos from that era. I remember when Clint from the Standard station stopped the traffic on 6 Mile so we could cross to school!

Yep that was Kroger's all right!!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4167...7i16384!8i8192

I believe liberty market took over in 1980.
    I spoke to the owner and he told me Kroger moved because the space was becoming to small for them , so they built a new store on 8 mile, which is still there. After they left another store moved in for a short time but couldn't make it work. Then they took it over . He said for a while they were losing a lot of money and he and his brother thought they might have to close. They clean it up and spent about more than 400,00 grand cleaning and expanding for inventory and things turned around. He said he may have photos somewhere . If he does I will try to post.

I live in the area and would also love to see any photos from the area during that era.
    My family has lived in the area since 1962. We have the original deed from our house with a photo of our house. The driveways weren't done yet and most houses didn't have garages yet.
    Our house was originally owned by a doctor, then he sold it to another doctor, both Jewish then our family in 1962. Rumor has it the house next door , which was the "model house" was owned by the family that owned Federal's department stores. The house across the street was owned by an executive at GM who custom built his house next door to his best friend, they shared a drive way which still sits the same way

Both of those posts are interesting and good information, Dave. Thanks for posting, and I would love to see photos from that era, as well.