Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Threaded View

Originally posted by oladub:
    Detroit's population decrease from 1,012,000 25 years ago in 1993 to 673,640 in 2017. I would blame much of that population decline on Democrats although, in my opinion, Mayors Bing and Duggan have started turning Detroit around.
    I think it was H.L. Mencken who said: "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Again for those who didn't hear me the first time: there are no simple answers.

I haven't been here very long, but in that time I've come to see you as someone who is intelligent and rational. Subsequently, I'm surprised to see you falling for such a common cognitive bias.

Population decline in Detroit isn't new.

Detroit's population peaked in 1950 at 1,849,568. Between 1950-1962 Detroit had Republican mayors [[Cobo & Miriani) and the population declined by nearly 180,000. Is that the fault of the Democrats as well?

Large scale migration from America's inner cities, known as white flight when my parents took part, is complex and multifaceted. A few reasons, in no particular order include: Blockbusting, Redlining, legally sanctioned racial discrimination in real property ownership and lending practices, development of the Interstate Highway System making it easier to reach the suburbs, busing and desegregation.

I'm leaving so much out, I'm almost reluctant to post this message. Specific to Detroit there's the destruction of Black Bottom and Paradise Valley, plant closings and job loss, our city's over-dependence on a single area and on and on.

I would like to think if it were all as simple as you seem to think, we would have fixed it by now.
    Last edited by Shelby_; September-04-19 at 10:11 PM.