Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Two RECENT US mass shootings. Where do we go from here?

Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-19 at 11:19 AM.

The problem is right above with link after link covering every aspect of the shooting and the shooter. All trying to one up the next, and competing for eyeballs and clicks [[Both the shooters and the media). The Dayton shooting happening less than 12 hours after the one in Texas shows us that it's the publicity that is pushing these maniacs to do this, not the ability.

Nothing will be done, just like all the other times. "Thoughts and Prayers"- that's it.

That's a point somewhat. I removed the DM link as IMO it is just too much side by side with those other tacky entertainment/ celebrity click-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The problem is right above with link after link covering every aspect of the shooting and the shooter.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-19 at 09:13 AM.

The problem is right above with link after link covering every aspect of the shooting and the shooter. All trying to one up the next, and competing for eyeballs and clicks [[Both the shooters and the media). The Dayton shooting happening less than 12 hours after the one in Texas shows us that it's the publicity that is pushing these maniacs to do this, not the ability.
    I don't share this conclusion. If mass shootings are relatively rare in most developed countries, but ubiquitous in one; surely you would examine what's different in those other countries, to assess what the problem is at home?

I would suggest any examination of that would lead to two conclusions.

The absence of responsible gun control is virtually unique to the United States.

The other notable thing I see as different is the failure to work towards social cohesion.

When a culture is filled with demonizing the 'other'. Be that racial in nature, or sexual orientation or party-political or ideological you really create ripe grounds for hatred and devalue the lives of others that are not-like-you.

There are societal cleavages in other developed nations. But there is an effort in most to mitigate these.

The United States is going through a period in which too many people seem happy to exacerbate, exaggerate and inflame responses to such differences.

I wish your country well in resolving those issues, and hopefully seeing less gun violence of all varieties in the future.

But I fear that will take a tidal shift of change in your politics.

^^ I agree with much of this, but these are massive problems that will take a very long time to address. Good or bad, the U.S has been a heavily armed and fractured society for a very long time, and we will be for the foreseeable future. What we need right now is something that will immediately reduce the frequency of these shootings, and that's a reduction in the copycat like nature of these shootings.

Let's not forget the shooting in California last weekend. As is being reported, the El Paso shooter was after Mexican immigrants. Maybe Donald should stop with his dehumanizing rhetoric that he spews all day/every day. He IS part of the problem.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...88680851689473
    Last edited by Maof; August-04-19 at 10:23 AM.

In Japan a man kills 23 as he burns a building.

https://kfor.com/2019/07/18/man-kill...udio-in-japan/

In 5 months there were 100 knife killings in England.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48186035

According to crime statistics from the Federal Bureau of Investigation [[FBI), knives are consistently used to kill people far more often than rifles are used. And the numbers aren’t even close: five times as many murders were committed with knives than were committed with rifles last year.

https://thefederalist.com/2014/11/11...knife-control/

People like to blame the weapon of choice or others for spreading hate,mass shootings,gun violence,knife killings,no matter how many laws that you put on the books or how many items that you try and remove from society there is no proof that actions can be stopped.

Why is it that “ mass” shootings gain media attention when the same amount of people are killed in cities on a daily basis by all methods and nobody says anything?

So the senseless violence is acceptable as long as it is one at a time?

It is against the law to kill anybody,but yet people think that removing guns from the picture will magically stop the violence when it is clear that it does not.

Two?

Articles state 250 this year alone.

Where do we go? You mean after we get the NRA's money out of the pockets of legislators and judges?

Numbers claim something less than 10% of all American households have guns, but that many of those have near arsenals. Why are we letting so few browbeat so many?

Never have so few been responsible for so much evil, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Let's not forget the shooting in California last weekend. As is being reported, the El Paso shooter was after Mexican immigrants. Maybe Donald should stop with his dehumanizing rhetoric that he spews all day/every day. He IS part of the problem.

Here is a listing of 35 years of mass shootings,has the current president been in office for 35 years?

https://time.com/4965022/deadliest-m...ng-us-history/

Yes. I changed the Thread Title. Adding the word RECENT. Not just two. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Two?

Two?

Where do we go? You mean after we get the NRA's money out of the pockets of legislators and judges?

Numbers claim something less than 10% of all American households have guns, but that many of those have near arsenals. Why are we letting so few browbeat so many?

There is no countrywide database where people register whether they own guns [[the law doesn't allow it). We have to rely on surveys instead. High quality telephone polls from Gallup and the Pew Research Center in 2017 found that 42% of people in the US live in households with guns.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/02/15/pol...cbttqkzph3bGQ-

Or is CNN posting fake news?

42% of households surveyed admitted they had weapons in thier house,I would say that number is actually quite higher,
    so correct the few that do wish to regulate the many.

Hah. That does not matter, if you don't want it matter.

D-Trump's become, broad-stroke and in detail the embodiment evil and hatred. His words, and tweets, etc as presented and circulated have given evidence to that for most at just a surface glance.

Most wont look further. What's left to see!? Hah. We always knew evil existed [[despite post-modernist claims of relativism and most other secular yah-dah) and he fits the bill quite well......

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Here is a listing of 35 years of mass shootings,has the current president been in office for 35 years?

https://time.com/4965022/deadliest-m...ng-us-history/
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-19 at 11:46 AM.

42% of households surveyed admitted they had weapons in thier house,I would say that number is actually quite higher,
    so correct the few that do wish to regulate the many.
    I will point out that even if your numbers were accepted without question [[something they never should be).....

If 42% of households have a gun, that means 58% do not. Which means the larger number of households are the many [[that would be the group without guns) vs those that do.

In other words, you disagree with your own stated facts.

No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I will point out that even if your numbers were accepted without question [[something they never should be).....

If 42% of households have a gun, that means 58% do not. Which means the larger number of households are the many [[that would be the group without guns) vs those that do.

In other words, you disagree with your own stated facts.

No surprise there.
    See that would be you tripping over yourself again.

I did not post MY numbers,I deliberately posted a liberal left link that listed thier numbers based on phone surveys.

If you have a problem with thier numbers you really need to bring that up with them.

My response was to somebody that posted less then 10% of US households have guns,clearly that is not the case.

So I posted a link that shows 42% of American households admitted in a phone survey that they have guns in thier household.

If a phone survey that does not include all the households in the US comes up with 42% based on a small percentage of a phone survey,it is conceivable that is a low number.

Coupled with nobody in thier right mind would ever admit to having weapons in thier house in order to be placed on a list,that number would be much higher levels then reported.

Even more so when somebody randomly calls a residence claiming to be somebody that there is no way to verify,asking about weapons in your house.

Which further dispelled the comment of the few trying to regulate the many,which is the opposite of what is happening.

Good to see the bump stock ban was so productive.
    Last edited by Richard; August-04-19 at 11:53 AM.

Hah, I bet most phone surveys like that are met with a 'click' or dial tone!!

It may get so tight you'll not tell even friends or family that you own a gun for protection in your home or out. No less some survey.

Coupled with nobody in thier right mind would ever admit to having weapons in thier house in order to be placed on a list, that number would be much higher levels then reported.

^ and watching what is going on with the progressive left further hardens ones resolve to protect the 2nd amendment.

The Internet and the media is what gives these wakos a platform not the weapons used.

You're posting 35 years of mass shootings? Why? If you're trying to compare to past administrations, let me tell you, there has never been a president that fear mongers as much as the current. So save yourself from trying to justify what happened this weekend or any other tragedy on the same level.
    Last edited by Maof; August-04-19 at 05:39 PM.

You're posting 35 years of mass shootings? Why? If you're trying to compare to past administrations, let me tell you. There has never been a president that fear mongers as much as the current. So save yourself from trying to justify what happened this weekend or any other tragedy on the same level.
    That is you projecting your bias towards the current administration,useing your theory every president fear mongered because as the link shows every administration has dealt with mass domestic shootings,they actually started upticking under the pervious administration,so I guess he was also fear mongering.

And THREE this week alone. IF you only count the ones with 10 or more killed or wounded.
    Two?

I wish he would. A surefire way to end President Trump's endless ranting about the subject would be to allow him to enforce our immigration laws and end the open flouting of our borders. These shootings need to stop, but so does the endless line of those gaming the system without legitimate claims for asylum.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-04-19 at 02:03 PM.

That is you projecting your bias towards the current administration,useing your theory every president fear mongered because as the link shows every administration has dealt with mass domestic shootings,they actually started upticking under the pervious administration,so I guess he was also fear mongering.
    Spin Doctor....Again

IMO so long as the immigration issue's tethered to Trump [[ala racism, hate, xenophobia, far-right, white supremacy, etc.), enforcement laws will be resisted. And such resistance defies Trump [[and his rants) and also serves as an impetus to remove him from office [[support/ votes).

There's some bipartisan and other agreement re. addressing illegal immigration/ asylum. But it remains hard to evaluate as a stand-alone, issue sans Trump.

I wish he would. A surefire way to end President Trump's endless ranting about the subject would be to allow him to enforce our immigration laws and end the open flouting of our borders. These shootings need to stop, but so does the endless line of those gaming the system without legitimate claims for asylum.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-19 at 11:06 PM.

Spin Doctor....Again
    I cannot compete with your spin,you post twitter links from a source that not even 10% subscribe to,if you did not spread the tweets, nobody would know it even existed.

The current president is one man,the media takes everything he says and spins it into something that fits thier agenda.

So who is really spreading and creating hate 24/7 ?

But that is par to the course and standard practice on the far left where adults are confused on what gender they even are,spin spin spin.

I cannot compete with your spin,you post twitter links from a source that not even 10% subscribe to,if you did not spread the tweets, nobody would know it even existed.

The current president is one man,the media takes everything he says and spins it into something that fits thier agenda.

So who is really spreading and creating hate 24/7 ?

But that is par to the course and standard practice on the far left where adults are confused on what gender they even are,spin spin spin.

Chump spent a lot of spittle on the criminal Hispanic since elected, his tweets are a shorthand, a miserable telegraphing of hate to the far-right that he aims to please.

It's a damned good thing that there aren't more of these killers with all the fire power available to them. I wonder what a knife wielding crazy could have done in the same circumstances, aiming to kill as many people as possible.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast