Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Isn't there a Habitrail already going from the Millender to the RenCen? Why can't people just go into the Millender, take the escalator up one floor, in case you're tired of all that walking you're doing, come out in the RenCen, take the escalator one floor down, and bingo, there you are in Hart Plaza, and across the street?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-04-19 at 07:55 AM.

To be honest I don't even like Hart plaza. If it was me I would keep the sculptures and turn the rest of it into a continuation of downtown as it was during the turn of the century. It's ugly and architecture can be more beautiful.

With the same beautiful architecture, but that may be wishful thinking

To be honest this is a great idea, where and who do I submit my design to. I mean, I've have this vision since around super bowl time. Drew up the pre design and back then people were saying they would never close off Woodward at Jefferson and here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    "Oh but think of the streetlights!" might be the weakest argument I've ever seen against a pedestrian plaza.
    I'm against the uneveness of spending. It's the same old story, spend for the benefit of the few, but ignore the needs of the many. The city MUST refocus the bulk of spending on the residential areas outside the loop. The city cannot survive if they don't.

The city already is. The city is already repaving tons of roads, they've been repairing and updating the sewer system, the streetlights are fucked up because of the manufacturer and they are being replaced, foreclosures are way down, the population loss has slowed to almost nothing [[possibly reversing a little), real estate development is starting to go beyond just downtown. Every concern you've brought up is being dealt with, some quickly some slowly, but they're being dealt. You're not getting any brownie points from anyone for raising concerns we all know about.

Hart Plaza isn't attractive, so unless there is some kind of change there I doubt it matters what you do to Jefferson, but if you were going to do something to Jefferson to make it Hart Plaza more connected you should put the traffic through a tunnel, or make Jefferson a lot smaller. My opinion has long been that neither of the freeway spurs south of I-75 should exist, which would eliminate the problem with them feeding into Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Hart Plaza isn't attractive, so unless there is some kind of change there I doubt it matters what you do to Jefferson, but if you were going to do something to Jefferson to make it Hart Plaza more connected you should put the traffic through a tunnel, or make Jefferson a lot smaller. My opinion has long been that neither of the freeway spurs south of I-75 should exist, which would eliminate the problem with them feeding into Jefferson.
    I'm sure Matty Maroun would love that... people not wanting to be stuck in traffic waiting to get to the tunnel and taking the Ambassador Bridge instead.

Have you ever waited an hour in traffic trying to get downtown from Woodward Ave., while something is going on at either Ford Field or Comerica Park... and LCA? Won't be doing that ever again.

Choking off lower downtown by closing the freeway access while things are going on in the stadia district is a sure way to kill off restaurant and retail business downtown.

While my family prefers going downtown for lunch or dinner... long waits to get there with $30-$50 parking is a sure downer. In the last 2 years we've just been going to the Pegasus or Fishbones here in SCS rather than going thru the long and expensive hassle of going downtown on game days. Not happy about it, but make getting to downtown even more difficult, and the law of unintended consequences will definitely kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    While my family prefers going downtown for lunch or dinner... long waits to get there with $30-$50 parking is a sure downer. In the last 2 years we've just been going to the Pegasus or Fishbones here in SCS rather than going thru the long and expensive hassle of going downtown on game days. Not happy about it, but make getting to downtown even more difficult, and the law of unintended consequences will definitely kick in.
    Sounds like the perfect case study for adding a Smart FAST bus service down Jefferson....

Choking off lower downtown by closing the freeway access while things are going on in the stadia district is a sure way to kill off restaurant and retail business downtown.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." -Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Sounds like the perfect case study for adding a Smart FAST bus service down Jefferson....
    We live in SCS, Fraser and Warren... Smart is not an option for an extended family... especially since my sister has mobility issues, and we always take a tour around Belle Isle after every visit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." -Yogi Berra
    Nice slogan... but meaningless here...

Nice slogan... but meaningless here...
    Detroit shouldn't really be making planning decisions to make it convenient for people who don't live there or pay taxes to the city.

Detroit shouldn't really be making planning decisions to make it convenient for people who don't live there or pay taxes to the city.
    You forgot "or like to spend their money there"...

The number of non city residents who go to ball games, opera, symphony or other cultural institutions in Detroit far outnumbers the number of city residents that do.

They may not have a voice at the decision making table of Detroit government... but this is a forum about the folks of metro Detroit.... they are not the same thing.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-04-19 at 01:51 PM.

You forgot "or like to spend their money there"...
    I didn't forgot it. Detroit isn't a mall, it's a city.

I didn't forgot it. Detroit isn't a mall, it's a city.
    And this is a forum of metro Detroiters with opinions... not City Council...

And this is a forum of metro Detroiters with opinions... not City Council...
    This forum is full of non-metro Detroiters with opinions too.

You're right, we are all entitled to our opinions about places we don't live or work. If either of us want our opinions about what Detroit should do to be taken more seriously then we should become residents of Detroit.

We live in SCS, Fraser and Warren... Smart is not an option for an extended family... especially since my sister has mobility issues, and we always take a tour around Belle Isle after every visit.
    You and your family chose to live where transit barely exists. Convenient access to transit is one of the primary factors I consider, as it has been since I realized I prefer vibrant cities full of amenities over car traffic and parking lots. I've owned cars only in Detroit. Except for then I've mostly only spent my money in the cities where I've lived, not just during visits.

I realize you want Detroit to become more vibrant too. But it's ironic: Detroit's wide roads and expanses of parking lots are a big reason it's having such a hard time achieving that, and the cars you and your family insist on driving into the city are part of the problem.
    Last edited by bust; August-04-19 at 10:30 PM.

...people not wanting to be stuck in traffic waiting to get to the tunnel and taking the Ambassador Bridge instead.
    Great. Most of the cars going through the tunnel aren't coming from or going to downtown anyway. What benefit does Detroit get from their traffic?
    Last edited by bust; August-04-19 at 10:32 PM.

This really seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. If stuff is happening at the stadiums, not taking Woodward is already a good idea. There are a lot of streets that go downtown, and I don't really think that getting rid of the Lodge or I-375 implies that there would be no traffic along the previous freeway alignments.

Also, if you don't want to pay $30-50 parking, you don't go on game nights anyway, and freeway or no freeway isn't affecting that.

Not to pile on Gistok or anything, but going without a car is actually popular in metro Detroit too. The Fast bus[[at least on Woodward) is always filled in the morning, the most wanted neighborhoods and cities are all very walkable[[Ferndale, Birmingham, West Village, SW) and I can only see areas that have the potential to be walkable to be the next "it" neighborhoods [[Bagley, Russell Woods, maybe Warren Ave). The older demographic definitely love their cars and I don't see it changing.

When I posted my first comment... I thought... oh lordy... the mass transit crowd would eat me alive... had your fill yet?

We take cars when we go downtown because of mobility issues [[my late mother was in her 80s and my sister has rheumatoid arthritis in both knees)... so public transport of any kind is not an option. So for all you mass transit hipsters... one size does not fit all...

I want to give a special thanks to the late great 3WC [[Tony Pieroni)... who could be snarky and controversial on this forum, but he really had a heart of gold. One year we went downtown, but all parking was full up because of a Tigers opener [[I had a planning brain fart that day!). We asked Tony if we could park in the Michigan Theatre garage. He not only allowed us free parking, but then paid for all our meals that day at the restaurant in his building [[Bagley Bar & Grille). I really miss that old goat... [[... in the nicest way!)
    Last edited by Gistok; August-04-19 at 04:24 PM.

One year we went downtown, but all parking was full up because of a Tigers opener [[I had a planning brain fart that day!). We asked Tony if we could park in the Michigan Theatre garage. He not only allowed us free parking, but then paid for all our meals that day at the restaurant in his building...
    In the kindest way possible, don't you see what you just said there?

You literally are the people parking inside our cultural treasures / former economic engines. Even as you support others.

Can't you see the conflict?

Gistok, as you are a very experienced ‘Metro Detroiter’ I am shocked that you are having such difficulty getting in or out of downtown and parking effectively. What you are describing sounds exactly like rookie beginner mistakes. Detroit is simple to park in for anyone who knows their way around town and knows what events are happening then plans accordingly. What is most important is to make adjustments in strategy as the city evolves and changes — which is critical to maintaining a healthy downtown.

Abundant cheap parking is not a downtown. It is a Walmart.

When I posted my first comment... I thought... oh lordy... the mass transit crowd would eat me alive... had your fill yet?

We take cars when we go downtown because of mobility issues [[my late mother was in her 80s and my sister has rheumatoid arthritis in both knees)... so public transport of any kind is not an option. So for all you mass transit hipsters... one size does not fit all...

I want to give a special thanks to the late great 3WC [[Tony Pieroni)... who could be snarky and controversial on this forum, but he really had a heart of gold. One year we went downtown, but all parking was full up because of a Tigers opener [[I had a planning brain fart that day!). We asked Tony if we could park in the Michigan Theatre garage. He not only allowed us free parking, but then paid for all our meals that day at the restaurant in his building [[Bagley Bar & Grille). I really miss that old goat... [[... in the nicest way!)
    I empathize with your family's mobility issues, but I have to point out that it's pretty selfish to expect that Detroit should sacrifice the pedestrian experience in order to make it a little more convenient for non-residents to visit every once in a while.

Adding further to the irony, it's traffic taming and density of varied services that make cities more accessible. Not 8 lane roads, parking lots, and mega blocks.
    Last edited by bust; August-05-19 at 01:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast