Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How can I find owners of Detroit property?

There are two properties I want to find ownership. Where on a Detroit website would I find it? I went to Zillow and there's nothing available.

If the Detroit land bank owns it you can find it here.
    https://cityofdetroit.github.io/demo-tracker/

This is the cities database of ownership:
    https://data.detroitmi.gov/Property-...-Map/fxkw-udwf

The landgrid data gets its data updates from the city. The City's data is the most up to date.

Thanks all.

Thanks, ndavies, I haven't seen the Detroit parcel app. That's slick!

I am 1,000 percent against any personal records being available on the web. Business property ownership is fine. Personal property ownership records should only be available in person or by mail and the number of requests by any one person or entity should be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I am 1,000 percent against any personal records being available on the web. Business property ownership is fine. Personal property ownership records should only be available in person or by mail and the number of requests by any one person or entity should be limited.
    And what's your reasoning for this? Business or personal shouldn't make a difference, or does it? Just asking.

If you don't think personal/individual property should deserve a higher level of privacy than corporate/business, all I can say is, you must be a Zuckerbooker. Oh, by the way, they just got zapped for $5 Billion dollars in fines for not handling privacy properly.

Meddle, I pretty much agree.

Hah! I bet Zucker will put on a suit when if he has to go public to damage-control that!!

If you don't think personal/individual property should deserve a higher level of privacy than corporate/business, all I can say is, you must be a Zuckerbooker. Oh, by the way, they just got zapped for $5 Billion dollars in fines for not handling privacy properly.

I will disagree. The property tax system is already highly corrupted in Michigan. If owners of the property under the currant system are hidden from public view than corruption is invited in, served drinks and told have at anything it wants.

If you want privacy for private property then stop having bureaucrats assigning value to every single parcel in the entire state to determine taxes then there are less issues with privacy.

There are many ways to raise necessary public funds. Some existing vehicles are antiquated and obsolete while destroying local economies in the process.

Abolishing the old and bringing in efficient tax vehicles would require getting past the ‘No new Taxes’ mindset. Not likely and very odd in a country that takes great pride in being innovative but of course fits Michigan perfectly in its race to the bottom of the pack of US states.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-27-19 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I will disagree. The property tax system is already highly corrupted in Michigan. If owners of the property under the currant system are hidden from public view than corruption is invited in, served drinks and told have at anything it wants.

If you want privacy for private property then stop having bureaucrats assigning value to every single parcel in the entire state to determine taxes then there are less issues with privacy.

There are many ways to raise necessary public funds. Some existing vehicles are antiquated and obsolete while destroying local economies in the process.

Abolishing the old and bringing in efficient tax vehicles would require getting past the ‘No new Taxes’ mindset. Not likely and very odd in a country that takes great pride in being innovative but of course fits Michigan perfectly in its race to the bottom of the pack of US states.
    I support anonymity for a person's primary home. Beyond that it's debatable, but there is little possibility for corruption before the numbers become significant, so who cares if a second address is protected too?

Of course I also have issues with the 'no new taxes' mindset -- especially when people who ascribe to that are ok with tariffs, which are just more taxes under another name. And unsustainable tax cuts, which lead to the inevitable result of ballooning debt and higher taxes on our children instead.

Why should most people, who are not involved in some kind of property tax ripoff scheme, not have the right to keep their address private in the public domain? Why should we not allow protections that provide confidence their children can walk to school in peace?

We can only imagine all the reasons that may be necessary. They are compelling to me.
    Last edited by bust; July-27-19 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Helps if you actually READ the post:

No where in there did I say that property records should be concealed. Quite the opposite. I just can't see them being available openly on the web where any number of Bots can scrape that data.

Those "bots" are here to stay, honey. I'd get used to it if I were you.

It is a matter of opinion what is most important. Mine includes literally a hundred thousand plus people having been evicted from their homes in Detroit in the last decade for unpaid property taxes while simultaneously others are handed out substantial property tax breaks. The destruction and cost from this mentality in more crime, failing schools, crap infrastructure, lost future capital investment are incalculably large just to name a few of the by products. If the property tax breaks are good for people with money, I figure they are good for the people with a lot less money also.

Next up would be billionaires already using shady LCCs to intentionally hide their identity to blight and drive property values lower for the sole purpose of acquiring more property at the lowest possible price that they can inflict on a region or just to use their wealth to take advantage of other property owners.

Another issue would be a city council member paying $68 in property tax while her neighbors were paying between $2000-$6500 just a decade ago.

While privacy is nice...Transparency is critical as we are entering a age where there is little to no watchdogging going on by the remnants of a free press.

Computers and internet are a reality. The era of expecting people to show up in person at the tax assessors office and be helped out by a friendly clerk in a timely fashion whose salary is paid for by taxpayers is ending and will just be a part of history. Again, anyone who can’t deal with that reality is not our most pressing problem in my opinion. There are many much more critical issues that need to be addressed and priorities have to be identified.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-27-19 at 09:58 PM.

Wayne County Register of Deeds

^^ Good points, ABD.