Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nothing I said had to do with poverty, but nice try

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Nothing I said had to do with poverty, but nice try
    Amen. I thought what you said Seven&wyo was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Just the decades of Detroiters who consistently voted for incompetent politicians, stopped taking care of their neighborhoods and made it so, aside from liquor stores and gas stations, that no other business could operate and then have the balls to criticize people that want to actually move in to the city.
    What about the decades of businesses that fled the city to save a dollar? I don't think the people that lived in Detroit wanted to jobs and money to leave and the only stores to be liquor stores. Why do the factories operators and businesses get a pass for packing up and leaving but the citizens get raked over the coals for staying.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    My point was, when things like this are happening why are we even debating taking a valubal tool out of the hands of police? Is facial recognition perfect? No. Should it be used as the last word in suspect identification? Of course not, and no one has argued as such.

This system will get better as the technology improves and if it helps identify murders, thieves, and other criminals they need to use it.
    The actual result of using this would be that more innocent people would get arrested, and more guilty and criminally dangerous people would be let free for convictions based in part on unreliable evidence. It's a lose-lose to use right now.

Every city in the country was deindustrialized Deteoit wasn't special in that regard it happened in every city. IM not giving anyone a pass. It's sad the factories left but they left everyone. every city has/had multiple industrial corridors,hell Denver had one. Don't try to paint me off as being some pro-corporate anti-poverty scumbag. I wish the factories didn't leave, but they did and Detroit didn't progress as quick as other cities and you can't not blame the citizens. They're responsible for the small business leaving.

Okay we won't paint you anywhere. However in recent years,
    certainly since year 2000, there have been more persons and
    entities with massive amounts of capital to lend, including from
    mainland China, which is not at all a democracy at this time.
    This capital could be used, if the capital managers and
    municipal managers so desire, for municipal and infrastructure bonds.
    In other countries where China has invested for infrastructure
    they do support authoritarian regimes. Without painting you into
    any corner, as both Republicans such as Snyder and Democrats
    such as Whitmer do seem to feel that improving infrastructure
    is an excellent goal, one can suggest that those working with
    Chinese and other major capital investors might prefer facial
    recognition systems both because it is something that can be
    sold as well as integrated into other platforms and something
    that would lend itself to an authoritarian style of government in
    the long run.

Thank you both Ferndale and Detroit communities for supporting
    Mr. Wingate while he was alive and honoring him now that he
    is gone.

Bear in mind that these days MDOC will not routinely allow
    color photo prints of family members to be sent to the
    prisoners. MDOC may need to be authoritarian, for the most part the
    prisoners are offenders, and outnumber the staff; most
    people will find it difficult to be sympathetic, but it is a very
    authoritarian institution that Laurence Davis will likely be
    staying in for years on end. We aren't all that far away from
    being as authoritarian as China.
    Last edited by Dumpling; August-01-19 at 04:48 PM.

I have nothing to do with the facial recognition argument and it seems like a stretch to connect that to Chinese money

When those Facial Recognition cameras be in every last ghetto hoods in Detroit and suburbs. It's open season for thugs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    What about the decades of businesses that fled the city to save a dollar? I don't think the people that lived in Detroit wanted to jobs and money to leave and the only stores to be liquor stores. Why do the factories operators and businesses get a pass for packing up and leaving but the citizens get raked over the coals for staying.
    Retail in the city is tough. A guy I know opened a pizza place in the Houston- Whittier / Hayes area. It lasted about 5 months, business was good in the store, behind bulletproof glass, but he couldn’t t keep a delivery driver. They were getting set up, robbed, beat up, pistol whipped, you name it. He couldn’t stay open, it wasn’t his fault.

But Democratic Sen. Kristen Gillibrand just said in the Detroit debates that white people are protected by their “whiteness” and they aren’t in danger on the streets.

^^^ Rhetoric! Identity politics. This talk only foments more racism, anger, and unaddressed violence and crime coming from all directions!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-02-19 at 04:52 PM.

Yep! There was a well known BBQ place in that area called Milts Barbecue, Milts was loved by many, provided jobs in the community as he could, excellent food, Chandler Park Golf Club member etc. He was gunned down in his store [[by one of his own employees). The family soldiered on for a while but finally closed shop a few years after.

That HW/ Hayes area is just too predatory by a few making it bad and nearly unlivable for the rest.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...Bar-B-Q-closed

8/26/06 Detyes Post Archive:
    https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...tml?1157937015

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Retail in the city is tough. A guy I know opened a pizza place in the Houston- Whittier / Hayes area. It lasted about 5 months, business was good in the store, behind bulletproof glass, but he couldn’t t keep a delivery driver. They were getting set up, robbed, beat up, pistol whipped, you name it. He couldn’t stay open, it wasn’t his fault.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2