Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thx Z,

One of the motivations behind my query is an old guy at a dog park I visit. He’s well into his 80’s and is a Trumpian.

As you may have guessed, I hold no love for Mr. 45 and have difficulty understanding individuals who support him; however, the Dog Park is open to all and I have to mind my manners.

One day he used the word Colored when asking me about the church I go to. I had to let him know the term was no longer considered appropriate and that’s when he tossed the NAACP name into the conversation. Not having a come-back I had to concede his point.

I prefer to use black instead of African American just because AA isn’t a term that is accurate. Someone doesn’t change their race when they move to Canada or England.

But that opinion comes from me: Mr. Whitey McWhiteyson so what the hell do I know.

^^^Oh yeah you're white and a male. Hush! There'll be no man-splaining!!

Jokes aside...... Yes, the time period has to be taken into consideration for dialogue - at least in the interest of exchanging ideas and challenge. Where possible!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-26-19 at 03:56 PM.

Terms over time .... there was a time when using 'uppity' in the wrong company would likely get you killed. Today, it's morphed into the same as 'stuck-up' and can be applied to anyone. I catch myself using it referring to rich snobby folk and the way they treat whoever they consider lesser than they, but I realize it may still bother many others.

"Zacha341 I'm fine with Black or African-American personally. And yes, someone White referring to a Black person 'Colored' would harken back to time period of segregation and blunt racism."
    "gnome One day he used the word Colored when asking me about the church I go to. I had to let him know the term was no longer considered appropriate"

Who get’s to decide when a term is inappropriate? From now on I’m going to use the term “Colored People” to protest the oppression of people of color in the United States. As long as I say it’s a protest, I get a “free pass” on whatever I want.

^^^ Who? I'd say the person so describe should have some say.

But as I mentioned, naming and describing also bears a political weight and leverage [[particularly within identity politics).

It would be nice to get the opinion of the NAACP itself on the matter.

It's not much but I did find this: Lohan calls Obama ‘colored’, NAACP says no big deal.
    Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., came to Lindsay Lohan’s defense today following Lohan’s on-camera interview with “Access Hollywood” in which Lohan called president-elect Barack Obama “colored.”...

“Sometimes you have to look at the intent…but the word ‘colored’ isn’t derogatory,” Sims told me in a phone interview. “Clearly she’s [Lohan] an Obama supporter.”...

“The term ‘colored’ is not derogatory,” Sims continued. “They chose the word ‘colored’ because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It’s outdated and antiquated but not offensive.”

Sims is referring to the founders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that created the organization nearly 100 years ago in support of social justice for African Americans...
    I think the point is we need to look beyond the literal to see whether the intent is respectful.

After reading this section of the thread I guess one becomes sensitive to the term and how many times it is brought up.

Not to make it political in anyway and in mostly streaming CBSN and others pretty much every thing the current president says referring to others is described as going after people of color.

Going after 4 women of color
    Going after Mr Cummings a man of color

Which makes him racist.

It is never he is commenting about other politicians that he does not agree with,it always has to be people of color.

One would think it is just less complicated to view everybody as fellow Americans and not categorize,you do not see somebody is going after the Italians,Polish etc.

It always has to be black and white when it is actually cloudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Going after 4 women of color
    Going after Mr Cummings a man of color

Which makes him racist.
    Lady in Shoe Store: 'Does this dress make me look fat?'

Al Show Man Bundy" No lady, the FAT makes you look fat.

It's not what King Don says that make him a dirtbag.

It's the fact that he's a dirtbag that makes him a dirtbag.

^ did you ever think that thought process could also apply to ones he speaks about? Maybe he is also calling them a dirtbag because they are dirtbags.

Sense your mentor is Al Bundy we can also say,if the shoe fits wear it.

You could have left the politics for over on the dark side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2