Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Update: L. Brooks Patterson Has Died of Pancreatic Cancer

Having lost a family member from this terrible cancer, I wouldn't have wished it on him. Peace and prayers to him and his family...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...02Ib6BZmHzh0u8

Well that's unfortunate.

Thoughts and prayers!

Very sad. I hope he's a part of the 11% that make it.

Best wishes L. Brooks.

Terrible diagnosis. Wouldn’t wish it upon anyone.

His is archaic, racist, and prejudiced policies will not be missed

Politics and opinions aside, my thoughts are with his family.

Some studies have shown a link between
    heavy
    alcohol use and pancreatic cancer.

A study of 1.2 million Americans ,followed for 24 years,
    found those who reported drinking liquor daily
    saw their risk of dying of pancreatic cancer go up
    compared to nondrinkers.

The pancreas is gland responsible for producing
    the hormones insulin & glucagon as well as enzymes.
    Alcohol is partially metabolized in the pancreas,
    and some of the early metabolites of alcohol
    can be toxic to the cells.
    Last edited by O3H; March-26-19 at 02:18 PM.

I guess you could say karma is a bitch.

Thoughts and prayers indeed.

It is unfortunate that people are using this space for any other reason than to wish Mr. Patterson well. There have been many, many issues over the years when I have disagreed with him, but he has devoted his life to the service of his county and I hope he is successful in seeing this through, though the odds are against him. Having seen over the years a number of people struggle with various forms of cancer, and the way it plays out across the spectrum, I wouldn't wish an unsuccessful battle upon my worst enemy, if I had one which I do not, and in no way would it be a devoted public servant like Mr. Patterson in any case.

Not to mention he has loved ones who will undoubtedly suffer.

The DYes fixation on Patterson is frankly bizarre. He's hardly the worst public servant around here. And if you wanna get political, he's pretty moderate in today's GOP.

Stalin and Mussolini had loved ones too. It's irrelevant especially since he's already lived a long life.

This is his deserved end. He devoted his life to segregation and racism and that should not be forgotten. Public servant my ass.

Meanwhile a new and brighter era approaches for the Detroit area without him.
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; March-26-19 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Stalin and Mussolini had loved ones too. It's irrelevant especially since he's already lived a long life.
    Yeah, because L. Brooks is equivalent to Stalin. He murdered 20 million+.

Oh, wait, no he didn't; a bunch of downtown fanboys are angry Oakland has prospered while the other counties withered and blame the County exec.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Yeah, because L. Brooks is equivalent to Stalin. He murdered 20 million+.

Oh, wait, no he didn't; a bunch of downtown fanboys are angry Oakland has prospered while the other counties withered and blame the County exec.
    It's not because Oakland County has prospered. It's because the region has stagnated because prosperous counties like Oakland have refused to think regionally. Like how the fuck do people not get this? Who the fuck cares if OC is prosperous?

Just because OC has done so well means shit. It means shit because we're not an island. LBP's myopic views on sprawl and regional economics have nearly destroyed this region.

So yeah. Fuck cancer. But also fuck LBP and his ilk for being racist, selfish asshats at the expense of everyone else in this region. I want him gone but not like this, though I won't be in mourning just hopeful for an Oakland County that actually thinks its part of this region.

Who said something mean ?

He's not Stalin, what a ridiculous comparison. His deserved end? Yikes. I don't agree with most of his policies, but he did win election after election in his county, kept a balanced budget and for the most part, was well liked by his constituents.

I hope he does recover and can peacefully retire.

He's The Margaret Thatcher of Michigan the way he devides this region.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    LBP's myopic views on sprawl and regional economics have nearly destroyed this region.
    That's absurd. Patterson's policies are not the reason Wayne County's population has shrunk by roughly 35% in the last 50 years. His policies didn't result in Detroit's bankruptcy. I haven't always agreed with him, and I would have liked to have seen more regional cooperation over the years; but, he has worked tirelessly for Oakland County residents for a long time.

I don't celebrate death and misery, but I have nothing nice to say.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Terrible diagnosis. Wouldn’t wish it upon anyone.

His is archaic, racist, and prejudiced policies will not be missed
    To quote a local celebrity regarding the death of another local celebrity.

"I can see he was a significant political force, but I don’t think he marshaled his energies in a constructive way. I think he was destructive.”

Before that vehicle accident, he was a very visable guy. It wasn’t like he never left his ivory tower. You would see him at some of the shot and beer places along M-59, just drinking at the bar with his friends. Walk up to him, shake his hand and say hello. He was not afraid to be out and about.

The median survival rate for stage 4 pancreatic cancer is between two and six months. Though the disease cannot be cured at this stage, treatment may improve your quality of life.
    You have to appreciate rich comeuppance of all this. you couldn't write this better. After decades of racism and general abhorrent inhumane behavior democrats will be picking the new county executive based on the process he put in place. Karma is real yall.

11%? Hell no.

IMHO both Alex & Brooks will be gone before the stroke of summer. I've seen this cancer up close & personal too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post

This is his deserved end. He devoted his life to segregation and racism and that should not be forgotten. Public servant my ass.

Meanwhile a new and brighter era approaches for the Detroit area without him.
    I have made a note of your execrable hateful comments. One day when cancer, AIDS or some other horrible malady comes knocking on your door I will remember to say the same things about you. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Well it only took eleven posts for Godwin's law to be demonstrated: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1". Okay it was Stalin and Mussolini in this case but still such a comparison is absurd and undignified.

I am not a fan of L. Brooks, politically or morally. Indeed I have worked for and donated to his electoral defeat. But what he as done, he has done legally and without a whiff of corruption--just look at the mess in Macomb for comparison. I object to his regional insularity but in the day-to-day of governance he has been a good administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I have made a note of your execrable hateful comments. One day when cancer, AIDS or some other horrible malady comes knocking on your door I will remember to say the same things about you. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Now you know what he's the world's greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    That's absurd. Patterson's policies are not the reason Wayne County's population has shrunk by roughly 35% in the last 50 years. His policies didn't result in Detroit's bankruptcy. I haven't always agreed with him, and I would have liked to have seen more regional cooperation over the years; but, he has worked tirelessly for Oakland County residents for a long time.
    I mean had we invested in mass transit all along maybe Detroit and Wayne County would've been in better shape to weather economic downturns. Oakland County could be many times more wealthy and prosperous than it is currently. That's how much of an impact mass transit has on local economies. Now I know LBP has been in his post since 92, but he's had ample time to support regional transit in which we could've produced something better than we have now. But no.

It's also surprising to me how shocked some people are that other people don't care to memorialize him. He's made flat out racist statements. He openly hated Detroit. He was a stubborn man that was only special because he "told it like it is" [[gee, sound familiar). Any true moderate GOP executive could've managed Oakland County and produced the same results, especially had they been more regionally minded.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast