Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    So they're planning to put X% of our cars on this power grid. That will work out great.

Even if X = 10% there is no way the current power grid can handle that load.
    = more repairs = more overtime = more revenue spent = rate increase
    "but we've always done it this way"
    You have to wonder if this isn't planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    = more repairs = more overtime = more revenue spent = rate increase
    "but we've always done it this way"
    You have to wonder if this isn't planned.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

I've been harping on this lately, but only because it's true: If metro Detroit didn't suffer from such sprawl it would be a lot easier, and cheaper, to fortify the power grid. So many of the problems exist because so many people live so far away. It's prohibitively costly to bury the cables in the exurbs where so many of the problems have occurred because so few people would be served by every mile put underground. That's not just me saying that; here's Bloomberg:

Why Europe Pays Less Than U.S. to Put Power Lines Underground

And like water treatment, imagine if Detroit's population didn't decrease from almost 2 million to 600,000 and there were 1.4 million fewer people living in the exurbs. Imagine all the fewer overhead power lines that would break, and that cost everyone -- even those who live close to the city center and who cost much less to serve -- to repair.
    Last edited by bust; July-22-19 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Glad to hear that, Gistok. Maybe you can post that on Saint Clair Shores YES! and get the of "us" to vote in a milage increase so you you won't be such a PITA burden to the rest of the taxpayers. A cheaper alternative would be to buy a box of those construction earplugs or perhaps counting sheep. 邏 嵐
    No.... we're just happy to keep spending our portion of the I-94 budget on Detroit overpass constructions and widenings for the eventual 4 lanes that are coming to I-94 in the city... and then pass you the earplugs...

I'd rather MDOT spent money mitigating the harm of the expressways than making the harms worse. I consider widening I-94 the latter.

That said, I-94 is evidence: asphalt is at best a very temporary fix.

Gistok, at least you knew what you where in for when you moved there.

Bust, they are doing "I-94 widening lite"... no extra service drives [[beyond what is already there on the east side). But all the bridges between Conner and I-96 were in bad need of replacement... and are being replaced with a wider span [[future lane exansion, or shoulder expansion?). Not sure if they will ever replace the I-94/US-10 left exit interchange.

MDOT has been occasionally resurfacing I-94 with asphalt for over 20 years now.... scrape and replace... scrape and replace...

Actually, more service drives are planned. At the cost of landmarks like United Sound Systems. And I'm well aware of the scrape and replace approach that has plagued recent times.

I don't suggest I-94 should continue to deteriorate, nor should it be patched with more halfway solutions. I suggest Detroit needs a long term transit plan with vision for long term savings and the health of the local community at heart.
    Last edited by bust; July-22-19 at 02:29 PM.

Bust, I had thought that the moving the United Sound Systems Building had more to do with the interchange repair/widening/or replacement, than any additional service drives.... Crap... time to do some Googling. Thanks for the info.

OK... my bad... yup, widening will start in 2022... after all the bridges have been replaced...
    https://www.constructionequipmentgui...nder-way/41309
    Last edited by Gistok; July-22-19 at 02:40 PM.

This is the 5th time this year for me to not have power. Now I'm going from Friday to maybe tomorrow night. Funny thing they were just out here last week replacing my transformer.

But we'll always have issues since GPC does NOT want a substation in the city. [[thanks idiots)

So now I need to invest in a generator. And yes spend the money on moving all utilities underground. I mean you can replace all gas lines, do power too. What a joke.

Not sure if they will ever replace the I-94/US-10 left exit interchange
    yes thats part of the plan.

From the article you posted:
    new interchanges at I-94/M-10 Lodge Freeway and the I-94/I-75, the elimination of left lane exit and entrance ramps and continuous I-94 service drive from Conner to Trumbull.

And we still dont know the final plan for i94. We haven't received the final design as they have been taking community input for the past 5 years. If you are not happy, then everyone should have attended all the public meetings.
    Last edited by scarecrow; July-22-19 at 02:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2