Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default First time back in Detroit in two years...

Born in Detroit, lived and worked in City of for a half century. Moved out west in '03; now in Washington across the Columbia from Portland.
    Visited Detroit a number of times since moving out west but have not been back since the summer of '17. What are some of the things to look for around downtown that have sprung up or have become interesting?
    I lived for a decade in Corktown over the 1990s when the area was rather dead. I heard Corktown has become happening.

The Monarch Club is really something to see. Be prepared for about at least a 2 hour "wait" though. They like to keep the crowd up top small so stop by and get on the list, go do something else in the area, then they'll text you when it's your turn to go up. Great cocktails in a space that was inexplicably abandoned for 35 years.

Pure Detroit does fantasic tours of the Guardian and Fisher Building on the weekend if you're interested in that kind of thing.

I didn't realize it was that popular. Thanks for the heads up!

Stromberg2

You can actually shop downtown. Not just for flaming Cheetos and grape drink either. Furniture, glasses, clothing. Real stuff.

I will give the Monarch Club a look as I enjoy manhattans. I will go early to avoid the wait. My father worked for Wright Kay Jewelers in mid century. Last time back, I stopped in the renovated building for a drink at Wright & Company.

Thinking about staying at The Siren hotel on Broadway. It looks like they did a good job on converting it into a hotel.

Definitely check out the Tiger Stadium site. Residents are moving in this week. Just taking the drive up Woodward to New Center and back on Cass you can see the constant improvement. Many are small businesses and residential but that's what's making the core so much better. Count the many new surface lots around LCA since your last visit!

Agreed - drive up Woodward to New Center and then come back along Cass. There's been lots of development, plus the Q Line street cars, and the DPD doesn't seem as stressed or stretched-thin as in previous years.

It's kind of a mess but Livernois and 7 Mile has made quite a comeback[[im a little bias as I'm a resident), unfortunately the main business Kuzzos is closed for renovations but there are several restaurants in the area you could go to.

Seven, I lived in Sherwood Forest in the 1980s. Is Baker's Keyboard Lounge still open?

Yes sir it is. If you're looking to eat in the area apparently Table no.2 is very good

There's been lots happening in the Capital Park area since '17 - take a stroll there if you get a chance. If you can't get into the Siren, I've heard good reports of the Foundation Hotel, too.

A Couple newer developments not yet 2 years old:

--The 2 food halls - There is a new Food Hall in Midtown, on Peterboro Street, called Detroit Shipping Company, and a new Food hall in downtown, on Fort @ Shelby, called the Fort Street Galley. The Midtown one is more laid back, busier, and has complimentary things like art, a radio station and live music performances.

--The Willis Show Bar - a notorious bar that was famously closed by the DPD in 1978 was beautifully re-stored, and has been brought back as a high end craft cocktail bar with some kind of live music almost every night.

[[Also, just a block or two down Third Steet is a new coffee shop that is affiliated with the Christian organization that has created a mini-campus at the corner of Third and Canfield, called Awake. In the back of the coffee shop, they have posted old news articles about the notorious prostitution ring that was being run out of the same building in the 1970s)

--Beacon Park/Lumen restaurant - a new pocket park on a small triangular plot of land across from the GAR Building with a beautiful new construction restaurant called Lumen.
    Last edited by masterblaster; July-22-19 at 12:36 PM.

The Fillmore [[State) Theatre had a complete restoration of the auditorium last summer. The rest of the theatre had been restored earlier in the century.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^ Goodness, how beautiful. I've not been there for more than decade+. I must find a concert/ event to attend!

go to Bad Luck Bar and throw some $$$ around...

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    A Couple newer developments not yet 2 years old:

--The 2 food halls - There is a new Food Hall in Midtown, on Peterboro Street, called Detroit Shipping Company, and a new Food hall in downtown, on Fort @ Shelby, called the Fort Street Galley. The Midtown one is more laid back, busier, and has complimentary things like art, a radio station and live music performances.

--The Willis Show Bar - a notorious bar that was famously closed by the DPD in 1978 was beautifully re-stored, and has been brought back as a high end craft cocktail bar with some kind of live music almost every night.

[[Also, just a block or two down Third Steet is a new coffee shop that is affiliated with the Christian organization that has created a mini-campus at the corner of Third and Canfield, called Awake. In the back of the coffee shop, they have posted old news articles about the notorious prostitution ring that was being run out of the same building in the 1970s)

--Beacon Park/Lumen restaurant - a new pocket park on a small triangular plot of land across from the GAR Building with a beautiful new construction restaurant called Lumen.
    Excellent post, gistok’s suggestion on the Fillmore/State/Palms is equally on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Thinking about staying at The Siren hotel on Broadway. It looks like they did a good job on converting it into a hotel.
    We weren't impressed. It's nice in a creepy sort of way. Hopefully it has improved since we stayed there. Then there was the problem of their valet parkers taking my rented Charger for a joy ride for several miles. They comped my parking fee. yeah, we won't be back. If it's me, I'd stay at the Book or the Aloft.

^^^ It's the Dodge Charger mania here. They did not mean any harm......!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    You can actually shop downtown. Not just for flaming Cheetos and grape drink either. Furniture, glasses, clothing. Real stuff.
    Way to add some class to the discussion