Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I don't know the ins and outs of city council, but it might have to do with the fact that it was a 4-4 vote so their was no action taken, so they could revote to try to solve it
    Yeah that might be it.

Site plans and renderings are now out for the new Spirit Plaza. I like the concept, but I think the food trucks should back up to Jefferson with the playground on the West side. But that's a small nitpick. I'm sure there will be fencing and barricades in place.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2019/08/28/major-improvements-store-spirit-plaza-detroit/2134259001/

Not enough actual "green space." That astroturf rectangle is going to look like garbage. I was hoping the improvements would make it look like a more permanent space, but it looks like it will still have that temporary feel minus the median.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Not enough actual "green space." That astroturf rectangle is going to look like garbage. I was hoping the improvements would make it look like a more permanent space, but it looks like it will still have that temporary feel minus the median.
    Agreed, it should have been primarily grass with just enough concrete for the food trucks and stage

This entire park is very high traffic, much for so than CM, Capitol Park, or Grand Circus when you factor in it's size comparatively. Upkeep on grass, real or fake would be a LOT of work and just an overall poor choice. The municipal center has a large swath of grass that could be activated as usable green space in the future if the desire was such.

Hard surfaces just make more sense in a park that will primarily be somewhere downtown employees go for lunch.

Spirit plaza is a ridiculous waste of time. All these efforts could go to better/greater programming in the existing downtown parks.

The bigger discussion that nobody seems to want to engage is what to do with Hart Plaza, and how that re envisioning fits with downtown.

Closing main streets is bush league. There is plenty of space around here for parks.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Spirit plaza is a ridiculous waste of time. All these efforts could go to better/greater programming in the existing downtown parks.

The bigger discussion that nobody seems to want to engage is what to do with Hart Plaza, and how that re envisioning fits with downtown.

Closing main streets is bush league. There is plenty of space around here for parks.
    I agree. I don't like it at all.

Closing main streets is a proven technique adopted by cities much more successful than Detroit.

I'm in favor of Spirit Plaza. It's one step in the right direction along the long path Detroit must make toward achieving urban vitality. As I've said before, don't judge it by the half-assed MVP we've seen thus far. The new design isn't perfect, but it is a big improvement. Let's hope it builds momentum toward the other smart steps the city must take to make Detroit a more attractive, livable, pedestrian-friendly city.

I didn't see where it was indicated this "green space" will be artificial grass.

If so, I have mixed feeling about this aspect. Grass would be much nicer, but only during the few months in Detroit when grass is nice. And that would take considerable effort and upkeep, including blocking access at times for maintenance to allow new grass to take root. The fact is, especially in a park very likely to see heavy use [[concerts, etc.), if this were grass most of the year this green space would be brown, maybe even for part of summer. Where they hold Summer Stage concerts in Central Park it's not long before the grass wears away and it's pockmarked with muddy puddles instead.

I would prefer more trees though... Why only along Jefferson, and maybe two more on the SE and SW corners of the green space? The latter two appear only in the overhead schematic. It's odd how if you compare the illustrations carefully there are a variety of ways they don't line up.
    Last edited by bust; August-30-19 at 02:18 AM.

I'm down with reclaiming Hart Plaza with grass and will tell my city about it. Instead of surveillance and facial recognition, those pavers ought to be replaced and the fountain fixed. Just an opinion.

Wish they'd spend the money on refurbishing Hart Plaza. Was down there for the Jazz Festival and the place is in bad shape IMO.

I want Hart plaza to be torn up. I'm sick of grass I want beautiful buildings goddamnit

Well, there goes the Woodward through way to Jefferson Ave.
    More traffic jam-o-ramas.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I want Hart plaza to be torn up. I'm sick of grass I want beautiful buildings goddamnit
    Grass? Where!? It's all crumbling concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Grass? Where!? It's all crumbling concrete.
    I meant I don't want them to tear up Hart Plaza for more green space. I want buildings not more public space. Preferably Victorian or Sullivanesque, but that may be asking too much.😶

Default Hart Plaza

I agree totally that Hart Plaza needs to be refurbished. It's a part of our spot for tourists.

Funds that are now collected for admission to events at Hart Plaza should be used to make it look better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3