Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mobi-One, electric vertical takeoff-and-landing aircraft start up, at DET

An interesting mobility start-up, Modi-One, has taken root at DET [City Airport]. In spirit this reminds me of a mini version of the Ford/Michigan Central story where an old transportation facility is paving the way to future means of travel.

The idea is to build an electric-powered short-run "unmanned aerial vehicle that would provide Uber-like air taxi service". Electric, autonomous, and ride-sharing--all the new mobility buzzwords in one vehicle while using automotive vs aeronautic resources.

It's an ambitious vision.

Incumbent aviation manufacturers, he said, are ensnared by the high expenses associated with lower-volume production runs and the complexity of systems needed for higher-altitude flying. Simplifying systems for flights no higher than 3,000 feet and plans for high-volume production should hold down costs.

So will a novel approach — eschewing traditional aviation suppliers for automotive ones. Central to ASX's plan is relying on Detroit's traditional auto industry and supply base, and repurposing them for aviation use.

"We're not building flying cars, but we are assembling car parts that you can fly," said Rimanelli, a Dartmouth business school graduate who previously founded Nextronix Inc., an electronics design and manufacturing firm in Romulus. "The reality is the automotive industry is very interested in electrification, automation, lightweighting, safety and reliability. Those are all the same things I'm interested in.
    Name:  mobi-one.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  60.7 KB
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/mobili...omotive-cradle

"unmanned aerial vehicle" sounds like a good way to get sued if something goes wrong. It is a cool idea but the logistics sounds like a nightmare.

Agree. I once heard someone bring up the point of noise from current propulsion systems. Think of 100’s I’d cessnas flying overhead or one landing in your back yard. Think giant bee’s buzzing around all day. Also the liability of an aerial accident. As cool as it is I don’t see it becoming practical with current technology. I’ve been reading about flying cars my entire life and that’s still as far as it’s come.

Name:  Jetsons10.png
Views: 677
Size:  96.5 KB

So if you hit a amazon drone while flying through the air,is it like a bug splat on the windshield.

Funny how a lot of what we saw in the jetsons has become a reality,I think it’s is kinda kool but also brings a use to the airport and a little bit more diversity.

When they originally proposed it a few years back they were mostly talking about short commuter routes like from Detroit to Ann Arbor of 15 passengers.

Modern technology makes lots of things possible we couldn't even imagine a few years ago. For example, here's a video of a guy using a drone to shoot fireworks at his neighbors because they're making too much noise:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1150874612718276608

^ on one side that was hilarious and possibly justified but on the other side there is a video where people actually attach real weapons to the drones,that can be scary.

I had to chastise somebody the other day for lighting fireworks off 6 days after the 4th,they almost burned my Christmas decorations down.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ on one side that was hilarious and possibly justified but on the other side there is a video where people actually attach real weapons to the drones,that can be scary.

I had to chastise somebody the other day for lighting fireworks off 6 days after the 4th,they almost burned my Christmas decorations down.
    hell we've been doing that in the military for years. they fly in the middle east, but piloted out of Las Vegas.

It is fascinating because my research at Georgia Tech in my Master of City and Regional Planning in 2017 and 2018 was on the eVTOL demand in American Cities.. Then my final research paper for graduation proposed MCS and City Airport becoming new mobility hubs for eVTOL and rail, along with Ford renovating MCS for this reason [[there was beginning to be rumblings and rumors of that happening around that time).

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    It is fascinating because my research at Georgia Tech in my Master of City and Regional Planning in 2017 and 2018 was on the eVTOL demand in American Cities.. Then my final research paper for graduation proposed MCS and City Airport becoming new mobility hubs for eVTOL and rail, along with Ford renovating MCS for this reason [[there was beginning to be rumblings and rumors of that happening around that time).
    Please write more good prophecies

Maybe Metro Detroit’s economy never diversifies because to many people have to approve the business model.

I could care less if this company takes off or not. Start a hundred different things. Spend capital, build, invest, hire, etc. It’s a numbers game anyway. The more start ups that throw stuff at the wall the better. That’s how you get new businesses and diversify.

Melbourne, Dallas and Los Angeles are locations where Uber is building it's flying taxi service. They will need someone to provide the taxis.
    https://mashable.com/article/uber-air-flying-taxis/