Yesterday I decided it was the day to renew my license and also get an enhanced version for air travel and border crossing.

I foolishly thought if I went there when they opened I could get in a shorter line. Wrong! The place was packed out to the windows. I decided to try the text-in-line option and found out that "only" 81 people were ahead of me. It seemed as if they were all nearly bursting out of the place!

My place in line got to #1 around 1pm, after which the process went smoothly.

I seem to recall some campaign promises of being in and out in 15 minutes. I guess that means texting in line and then arriving 15 minutes before you eventually get to #1 in line.

Back in the old days, there were many more SOS offices and I don't ever recall a 4-5 hour wait. I also thought about getting an appointment but the next available appointment is August 8th!

Maybe some creativity is needed to better serve the citizens of Michigan. No one looks forward to a trip to the SOS, but even text-in-line still put most of my day in flux as I tried to determine how much time until I made it to #1.