Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Elevator Scare Today....

I had a rare morning.

First, I woke up and looked out my window [[high rise Downtown) and saw a horrible car accident at Adams and Cass. I don't think anyone was injured, but both cars were totalled. Luckily, no buildings were damaged, but one car ended up on the sidewalk, inches away from the office building behind the G.A.R. Building.

After that, I get into the elevator to go to work, and the elevator is almost full, it makes three more stops to let some more people on, filling th elevator and then continues it's slow descent. Around the 6th floor the elevator suddenly jolts and free falls two floors, skipping the fifth and stopping at the fourth. The elevator then free falls again giving us a little weightlessness feeling, and stops between the first and second floors where we remained stuck for a couple minutes before the elevator eventually starts again, goes up to the second floor and lets us all out.

We reported the incident, but I don't know if they did anything. The elevator in question was up and running when I returned home from work this evening.

I thought some of you would find this interesting.

lilpup Guest

Check the weight rating on the elevator and estimate if it was overfilled. I've noticed more and more elevator loads exceeding weight capacity without being packed like sardines. People have gotten heavier over the years.

Newer elevators have audible warnings that sound when they're above weight.

Retroit Guest

I would avoid that elevator for a while if I were you.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    saw a horrible car accident
    Then,
    I don't think anyone was injured
    Must not have been too horrible.

I'll give you the elevator scare. That would suck.

detmich Guest

You can't get a life experience like that in the suburbs.

. . . and today's Feelin' Love for Detroit ribbon goes to . . .

---> detmich, though the morning has barely dawned.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    First, report that shitty elevator to city engineering. You can get the number off any certificate in nearly any elevator in the city [[does yours have one?). Second, for the sake of your newborn, move the fuck out of that lead infested, elevator killing shithole.

But it is part of the gritty urban experience.

Stosh Guest

First, report that shitty elevator to city engineering. You can get the number off any certificate in nearly any elevator in the city [[does yours have one?). Second, for the sake of your newborn, move the fuck out of that lead infested, elevator killing shithole.
    Well, you can't be sustainable at the bottom of an elevator shaft, can you.
    I'd agree with the sentiment about the lead. Not a healthy environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Well, you can't be sustainable at the bottom of an elevator shaft, can you.
    I'd agree with the sentiment about the lead. Not a healthy environment.
    It ain't the lead on the walls that kills you. It's the lead slugs flying through the air that usually do the job.

That elevator experience would have put the fear of God in me!

And hey, car accidents can be bad without anyone getting hurt! If it was my car it would be considered bad!

9mile&seneca Guest

It's scary to think that the same efficient gov't that provides other services is in charge of elevator inspections, isn't it?

Lorax Guest

Which building are we talking about here? The Leleand? Or the Town Apartments?

If it's the Leland, you need to get out while you can. That building needs so much work, has lead paint, plus tons of bugs and no water pressure. I knew someone years ago who found a body in a stairwell there. Sorry, but I don't think it's gotten any better in 25 years.

The Leland would be a good candidate for renovation, though, architecturally it's a super building.

That's a remarkable story, considering this: Safety of cable-borne elevators.

People are pretty dumb about packing themselves into an already-full elevator, refusing to believe that there are consequences. When I've found myself in that position, with a few more hefties squeezing in, I excuse myself, exit and wait for another car ...

Of course, I only use elevators when the building has more than three or four stories, in all other cases I take stairs...

Imagine riding a toe-shearing paternoster.

Ride one here! How's that for elevator music?

Attachment 2939
    IT IS NOT DANGEROUS TO OVER-RIDE
    PROVIDED YOU STAND STILL

It's like some bizarre human vending machine.

[[Excuse me. I'd like to purchase a bizarre human?)
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-01-09 at 05:14 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

I actually sent in pieces of the paint in our apartment to get tested by suggestion of a relative, it came back okay. They also spray for bugs and other pests now as well. Beyond that, I have a lot of friends in this building, so it is okay for us. How bad of shape the building is in seems to depend on the floor you are on. There are some pretty messed up floors in this place.

All things considered, I agree it isn't the best place for a child, but it is fine for a temporary starter place. Really, the actual apartments are not that bad. Maintenance is relatively quick, the views are great, and the apartments are a good size compared to other apartment buildings in the area. Oh, and it's way better than some comparable buildings we looked at in Midtown and lower Corktown.

I guess I'm getting what I'm paying for. However, I've been in just about every large building in the city, and these have to be the worst elevators I have ever ridden in. There were originally six guest elevators, two of which are active today. At least one of those two seems to break down just about every day.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    How's that for elevator music?

Walk Don't Run By Johnnie Smith. The Ventures covered it in 60.
    Last edited by Toolbox; September-03-09 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    People are pretty dumb about packing themselves into an already-full elevator, refusing to believe that there are consequences. When I've found myself in that position, with a few more hefties squeezing in, I excuse myself, exit and wait for another car ...
    Yeah, thats a good strategy. Look how well it worked for this guy:

Man Dies In Downtown Elevator Accident

Building, Elevator Passed Inspection In March

POSTED: Monday, November 15, 2004

A man was found dead inside an elevator at a downtown Detroit apartment building Monday morning. The man, in his 50s, was on an elevator inside the Trolley Plaza apartment building on Washington Boulevard when a cable snapped, causing the elevator to shoot up to the 29th floor, Local 4 reported.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's a remarkable story, considering this: Safety of cable-borne elevators.
    These elevators have been bad for awhile. I was visiting my brother several years back who was staying here when it was a Ramada Inn, and one of the double doors actually fell off while it was closing.

Likewise, I was in a building in Highland Park last week where n elevator got stuck. Beyond that, the elevator would break down almost monthly at my old apartment off Grand Circus Park. There was also an incident at Trolley Plaza a couple years ago. It really seems like bad elevators are nothing new in Metro Detroit.

DetroitDad Guest

Do you open the windows? They can be the biggest source of airborne lead paint dust due to the friction of the jamb and sash. Spraying for bugs with a newborn would not leave me with the comfort it does you in your post. Didja test the water too? The building is said to have low water pressure? I'd worry personally. The assured health of your kid is worth cramped quarters and an extra 50 a month.
    Well, it's temporary. We plan on moving this Winter or Spring.

The water pressure is fine. I have water and air purifiers. The building owners actually have been replacing a ton of the piping as well as the water heaters since I moved in, or so I'm told. The windows are somewhat newer tilt-ins, not the old style single panes like many area buildings still have. I have only opened the windows to clean them, as like most older buildings, they do not have screens.

First I think the elevators should be reported to the city, then the city can tax them heavily, finally they will be abandoned and take their place among the ranks of the rest of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It ain't the lead on the walls that kills you. It's the lead slugs flying through the air that usually do the job.
    Amen to that. I found where I can listen to Detroit Police even sitting down here and man, I've never worked for a department that is non stop the way these folks are.

Some comments on the Leland Hotel, formerly Ramada Inn, in trip advisor. Have been in there once, was at one time a classy Hotel and Residental hotel, now its just old and weird. Not really a place for a baby.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Some comments on the Leland Hotel, formerly Ramada Inn, in trip advisor. Have been in there once, was at one time a classy Hotel and Residental hotel, now its just old and weird. Not really a place for a baby.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT
    It really depends on the floor you are on. There are only a couple dozen rooms still used as hotel rooms. I was told the entire building is being switched over to apartments, and a professional management group was brought in last Spring to improve things, and the maintenance staff is now required to actually live in the building. From the people I know here, things have noticeably improved, but the place really needs to be renovated badly.

So, where would you guys suggest I move for the next couple years while we save up enough to buy? Our criteria is a two or three bedroom in Downtown that is a block or less from the People Mover. Trolley and Millender Center were okay, but really kind of got you on the extras. Riverfront Towers seems like the best option, but is kind of secluded. Maybe something on lower Woodward, or Washington/Grand Circus area?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; September-03-09 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast