Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Plus dishonorable mention for the Vile Vega and the Awful Astre in the 70s.
    and the Chev Monza

I had a 72 Vega,I actually lived in it during -40 winter temps for a few months,it held on long enough for me to get back on my feet but I think it got mad because I bought a 67 GTO and the Vega blew the head the next day.

A lot of thought was put into the design of those cars so they could be driven to the rail car,stood on end and shipped like that and then driven away at the finial destination,I guess they should have put more thought into the actual engine.

But all the fun started with the GTO and I soon had one for every day of the week including a tri power convertible for the sunny days.

So the gas crunch car killer was what,1971 -3 to 1979 with the combination of the EPA clamp down,the lower end of the market was pretty much junk from 1973 to 1987?

I have a 76 stingray it is a dog and rated at 180 hp on a good day,the 74 to 79 Pontiac Trans Am was GMs power car and it was only rated at 150 hp,they are getting more then that out of the little 4 cyl.

Those were some really dark days for American manufacturers and the customers that bought thier products.

They seem to have passed the 80,000 mile and die mark with cars getting 300,000 miles on them but they sure seem to have learned nothing when it comes to customer satisfaction when issues come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    and the Chev Monza

I had a 72 Vega,I actually lived in it during -40 winter temps for a few months,it held on long enough for me to get back on my feet but I think it got mad because I bought a 67 GTO and the Vega blew the head the next day.

A lot of thought was put into the design of those cars so they could be driven to the rail car,stood on end and shipped like that and then driven away at the finial destination,I guess they should have put more thought into the actual engine.

But all the fun started with the GTO and I soon had one for every day of the week including a tri power convertible for the sunny days.

So the gas crunch car killer was what,1971 -3 to 1979 with the combination of the EPA clamp down,the lower end of the market was pretty much junk from 1973 to 1987?

I have a 76 stingray it is a dog and rated at 180 hp on a good day,the 74 to 79 Pontiac Trans Am was GMs power car and it was only rated at 150 hp,they are getting more then that out of the little 4 cyl.

Those were some really dark days for American manufacturers and the customers that bought thier products.

They seem to have passed the 80,000 mile and die mark with cars getting 300,000 miles on them but they sure seem to have learned nothing when it comes to customer satisfaction when issues come up.
    A 1979 Chevy Monza with the "iron duke" IL 4 cylinder was my first care actually! Not because I was around at that time, but it was handed down to me from my dad who bought it new and kept it in good shape. It had no power steering, clutch cable, and definitely was a dog. However it was fun to drive and I learned how to drive a stick with it.

Anyone remember the Chevy Corsica? I had one!

Good solid 6 engine. The thing could climb over a 10 inch curb without a rumble it was so far off the ground, so great for snow.

They made many in white with that horrid burgundy interior. But built like a tank... just kept running and running!

"Simple, Sturdy and Cheap"! That was once one of their mottos as so many drove only Fords back in the day!

Here's hoping FOMOCO can pull out of this and right themselves. Much is at stake, personally and politically! It's interesting that Ford has come to this juncture once again [[history shows former flubs as discussed).

I found this excellent biography on Henry Ford/ Ford Motor Co.s impact during the depression etc. The innovative engineering, bargaining, the profiteering, success and deceit, the impact of Ford Motor Co. on minorities.

Ford's own personal conflicts/ demons etc.

The Great Depression 1 - A job at Ford's
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-18-19 at 07:59 PM.

I have a 2014 Ford Focus. Bob Maxy Ford wants $120 to diagnose the issue, then out of pocket payment to fix the shuttering if its not the transmission issue, and they cant get us in for two weeks. Shouldn't they be covering the cost of the inspection, given there is a known issue with the vehicle? I can tell you now they will claim that the violent shaking and shifting issue is not related so that they wont have to cover the cost of repairs. Ford is in way over their head. I will never buy a Ford again after this experience.

This story is getting more crazy by the day. This link was just shared with me...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ta/1766990001/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    "Simple, Sturdy and Cheap"!
    I was going to make a prom date joke, but I think I'll just drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Here's hoping FOMOCO can pull out of this and right themselves. Much is at stake, personally and politically! It's interesting that Ford has come to this juncture once again [[history shows former flubs as discussed).
    Much is at stake for Metro Detroit, too. As intense as the rivalry gets between the OEMs, if one of them goes down, Metro Detroit suffers. Not to mention that if sales for one is down, they're likely down for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I have a 2014 Ford Focus. Bob Maxy Ford wants $120 to diagnose the issue, then out of pocket payment to fix the shuttering if its not the transmission issue, and they cant get us in for two weeks. Shouldn't they be covering the cost of the inspection, given there is a known issue with the vehicle? I can tell you now they will claim that the violent shaking and shifting issue is not related so that they wont have to cover the cost of repairs. Ford is in way over their head. I will never buy a Ford again after this experience.

This story is getting more crazy by the day. This link was just shared with me...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ta/1766990001/

"Carte blanche" offer expires today [[7/19), I would take it to another dealer today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2