Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Church/Priest Abuse Cases Continue

Published 12:39 p.m. ET July 8, 2019

“A sixth Catholic priest was charged Monday with criminal sexual conduct by Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel as part of an ongoing investigation.
    The Rev. Joseph "Jack" Baker was arrested Monday morning in Wayne County by special agents from the Michigan Attorney General's Office. He was arraigned in 29th District Court and given a $500,000 personal bond.

“Baker, who was released after the arraignment early Monday afternoon, was ordered by Judge Laura Mack to wear a tether.

“Baker is charged with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct-sexual penetration with a person under the age of 13. His probable cause conference is scheduled for July 18 in 18th District Court in Westland and his preliminary examination is scheduled for July 25, also in 18th District Court.

“Mack is recusing herself from further proceedings. In a form filed with 29th District court, she said she was stepping away from the case because of "significant community involvement with the defendant."

Baker has been a pastor at St. Perpetua Parish in Waterford since 2008. Before that he was a pastor at St. Mary Parish in Wayne, associate pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Dearborn and associate pastor at St. Hugo of the Hills Parish in Bloomfield Hills.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...se/1673312001/

Isn't this the second one from St Perpetua?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Baker has been a pastor at St. Perpetua Parish in Waterford since 2008. Before that he was a pastor at St. Mary Parish in Wayne, associate pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Dearborn and associate pastor at St. Hugo of the Hills Parish in Bloomfield Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Indeed church leadership not engaged in some form of sexual abuse and misconduct is varied [[this one gets a half mill bye-'buy'):
    Her contract is being severed; the money is contractual. If there were a clear violation, they would sever the contract and save the money. I assume pastors have moral clauses.

Please don't deflect from the seriousness of these accusations - six priests, and this one allegedly with under-13 year olds.

Going to a sex shop: not illegal. Perhaps not the smartest career move for a pastor, but not illegal. "Sexual penetration with a person under the age of 13": very illegal. Not sure what the two things have to do with one another.

Six priests charged with criminal sexual conduct [[to go with many others around the country and around the world), and priests shuffled from parish to parish to stifle abuse charges: more evidence of a deeply sick and damaged institution.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-15-19 at 02:38 AM.

In no way am I deflecting, and apologize archfan. I see now for clarity I should have made the post on its own in non-Detroit. I'm not catholic and do know I believe pedophilia and pederasty are serious, horrid crimes that have hurt many over a very long span of time.

I mentioned the other case only as it is also sexual in nature. And a largess of money is being put forth to make it go away. Again I should have put as separate post and I will and delete the news item from this thread.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-15-19 at 05:48 AM.

Our tax dollars at work, subsidizing these creeps.
    I ran into one when I attended a local parochial high school. Not as rare as many think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    In no way am I deflecting, and apologize archfan.
    All good - it's an interesting case on it's own.