Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question about Downtown Detroit Retail

Now that H&M is opening in the fall, would the retail climate downtown be ripe for Apple or Best Buy to take a bite? It has been hinted for years that Apple was looking into the downtown area but this was before Nike had opened an outlet store.
    I would also want to know if Columbia could open an outlet store downtown and possibly more affordable restaurants such as National Coney Island, Chipotle Mexican Grill. The only two restaurants that have combo lunches are The Ham Shoppe and Woodward Coney Island

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Now that H&M is opening in the fall, would the retail climate downtown be ripe for Apple or Best Buy to take a bite? It has been hinted for years that Apple was looking into the downtown area but this was before Nike had opened an outlet store.
    I would also want to know if Columbia could open an outlet store downtown and possibly more affordable restaurants such as National Coney Island, Chipotle Mexican Grill. The only two restaurants that have combo lunches are The Ham Shoppe and Woodward Coney Island
    I've always thought Apple would show up in the Hudson block or Monroe block. Their store size requirements and preference that there are no support columns visible in the store area probably limits many available downtown properties in historic buildings.

I will be shocked if there is not an Apple Store on the ground floor of Hudsons Site at Grand River and Woodward, right across from Shinola Hotel.

As for places with combo meals for lunch...I can think of about 15 off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I will be shocked if there is not an Apple Store on the ground floor of Hudsons Site at Grand River and Woodward, right across from Shinola Hotel.

As for places with combo meals for lunch...I can think of about 15 off the top of my head.
    In the downtown area that's under $10

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post

What is a combo meal?

Well that depends on what you are comboing.

Try the specials at Lunchtime Global, in the First National building.

Considering all the other development downtown there's still an amazing lack of fast food chains. They're on the edges - RenCen, Greektown, Midtown, etc. but not the central CBD. Even at these places most standard burger combos are no longer below 10 bucks.

More sugar, fat and salt for a cheaper price. Not that I am the food police........

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    What is a combo meal?

Sniff Sniff!! I smell Salon 6 coming to Downtown [[Gilberttown) Detroit on Woodward Ave.

^^^ Ok, Danny LOL... if it is a nice store, selling hair products/ services I see now problem with that. It is not as though only black women use hair car products or go to a salon.

There was a full-out salon downtown for years and years... Demongo's or something was the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Ok, Danny LOL... if it is a nice store, selling hair products/ services I see now problem with that. It is not as though only black women use hair car products or go to a salon.

There was a full-out salon downtown for years and years... Demongo's or something was the name.

Salon Six is official salon for various WDIV Local 4 News Anchors.

Alright now! I'll have to toodle on down their and see what that can do for me!

PS. I'm just getting the 'sniff-sniff' Biden reference you threw in there. Naughty!

I will be jumping for joy when we have an Apple Store in Gilberttown Detroit. YES YES YES!!!
    Last edited by Danny; July-10-19 at 01:01 PM.

Yikes I can think of tons. Lunch under $10 - not always including drink. If you can't eat out cheap - you're not trying very hard.

Lunchtime Global
    Athen Souvlaki - greek salad w/chicken!
    Loco's -$1 tacos/tues
    Orchid Thai
    Freshii
    Zoom Grill
    Slices Pizza
    Which Wich
    7 Greens
    Bellacino's
    Mr Kabob
    Checker Bar
    Jimmy Johns x2
    Subway x2
    Potbelly

Ren Cen Food Court:
    McDonalds
    Burger King
    Zoup
    Panera Bread
    Salsarita's
    Potbelly
    Last edited by hybridy; July-10-19 at 03:43 PM.

Okay I get how Apple Store is useful but the other places you list would make Woodward have identical offerings as nearly every suburban strip mall. How would offering nothing special at all make anyone want to spend time there?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Okay I get how Apple Store is useful but the other places you list would make Woodward have identical offerings as nearly every suburban strip mall. How would offering nothing special at all make anyone want to spend time there?
    Do you know that Carhartt is the only retail that drawing in steady customers. Next comes Nike then Under Armour. Put something down there that people would shop at

Do you know that Carhartt is the only retail that drawing in steady customers. Next comes Nike then Under Armour. Put something down there that people would shop at
    Based on what?

I vote for a Forman Mills downtown location! ----

If Under Armour is 3rd then downtown retail is in big trouble. I've been in that store a few times and each time we are either alone or one other customer is present as the staff follows us around and then the lonely guy meets us upstairs. Nike, on the other hand, has better prices and is much busier.

If Under Armour is 3rd then downtown retail is in big trouble. I've been in that store a few times and each time we are either alone or one other customer is present as the staff follows us around and then the lonely guy meets us upstairs. Nike, on the other hand, has better prices and is much busier.

this is just a completely false statement based off nothing at all.

Lululemon is constantly busy, warby parker constantly busy. The new Madewell and shinola stores are always packed with people. DITNB has been a staple for a while. Le labo seems to be a lighter crowd but that is a super boutique store. Even the Parker Alley stores have a lot of foot traffic.

Stop spreading false statements you pull on thin air.

Is this information based on a survey or article?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    this is just a completely false statement based off nothing at all.

Lululemon is constantly busy, warby parker constantly busy. The new Madewell and shinola stores are always packed with people. DITNB has been a staple for a while. Le labo seems to be a lighter crowd but that is a super boutique store. Even the Parker Alley stores have a lot of foot traffic.

Stop spreading false statements you pull on thin air.
    Those are good stores. I forgot about Warby Parker who is getting the business also. Wasn't putting the other stores down. Stores, such as the ones on Canfield Cass, maybe getting a lot of foot traffic but how many actually purchase items out of them as to compare to Carhartt, Warby Parker, Nike, and maybe one of the women's boutiques.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I vote for a Forman Mills downtown location! ----

Forman Mills is not coming to Gilberttown Detroit. The need free parking and their locations is in the ghetto areas of the business district so they can cater to low-income folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast