Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is GFL [[Green for Life) doing a decent job in your neighborhood?

Thought trash pickup was a "New Detroit" non-issue until they neglected to get the bulk trash last Monday on my block. OK - NBD. I message them through their website about the failure of service...nothing. Message again, nothing. Message again, nothing. Bulk trash still sitting there seven days later. What's your experience, Detroiters?

My pick up is Thursday. They can text you the info now. It's been on time so far.

We have GFL in Rochester Hills for the entire city. They're better than the last ones we had [[Republic Services). I have noticed that they also chronically miss bulk pickup. We're supposed to just put bulk items out and they'll pick them up without the need for a call or anything. It usually takes 2 weeks or so for the bulk items to go away.

GFL is having issues fulfilling contracts in multiple communities throughout Southeast Michigan, its not just a Detroit thing.

Many communities in western Oakland County have been complaining about GFL's service this year, including Novi, Wixom, and Milford.

They have been days behind in pick-up, not running all types of pick-up [[e.g, refuse, recycling, compost, bulk), and missing sections of the communities.

Supposedly it is multiple issues including a lack of drivers/employees, changes in regulations for driver hours/overtime, and weather.

I have had no complaints personally, nor have I heard of any in my 48224 [[east side) neighborhood.

Their trucks are very efficient at blocking the roads though.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    GFL is having issues fulfilling contracts in multiple communities throughout Southeast Michigan, its not just a Detroit thing.

Many communities in western Oakland County have been complaining about GFL's service this year, including Novi, Wixom, and Milford.

They have been days behind in pick-up, not running all types of pick-up [[e.g, refuse, recycling, compost, bulk), and missing sections of the communities.

Supposedly it is multiple issues including a lack of drivers/employees, changes in regulations for driver hours/overtime, and weather.
    Spot on. It seems we have different guys every couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    We have GFL in Rochester Hills for the entire city. They're better than the last ones we had [[Republic Services). I have noticed that they also chronically miss bulk pickup. We're supposed to just put bulk items out and they'll pick them up without the need for a call or anything. It usually takes 2 weeks or so for the bulk items to go away.
    Also live in Rochester Hills. I read on Nextdoor that they recently renewed the contract and apparently one of the terms is that they now pick up bulk only once per month. Nice of residents to get notified.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Also live in Rochester Hills. I read on Nextdoor that they recently renewed the contract and apparently one of the terms is that they now pick up bulk only once per month. Nice of residents to get notified.
    Here are the current guidelines: https://www.rochesterhills.org/index.aspx?nid=352

"Weekly bulk pick up of larger items on your scheduled pick up day."

I'm not aware of that changing. It used to be with Republic Services that you got one bulk pickup a month and you had to call ahead. I think that GFL does it differently and doesn't track it to lower on management overhead.

The city made some good improvements with the latest contract by separating out some of the contracts. Rochester Hills will now use SOCRRA for recycling [[but GFL is still responsible for collecting it and transferring it to SOCCRA). We now have access to use the SOCCRA facility on Coolidge in Troy to drop things off at no charge, a huge improvement over the NO-HAZ program.

The city also leaned on Recycle Bank to up their game. I've been rather disappointed with Recycle Bank, as it just seems to be a way to convert your "points" into marketing gimmicks that places would normally give out for free through their online apps or coupons in the mail. I always save my points up and donate to the school projects, but it's pitiful what the cash value of those points are.

We use GFL where I live in Detroit and they're pretty much on the money. Every once in a blue moon they do screw up. When they make changes, notifications aren't sent. Communications doesn't seem to be their strong point.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-09-19 at 12:27 PM.

48301 [[2015-2017)

trash/recycling every week [[65-gal)
    i supply my own trash buckets
    they picked up bulk anytime
    they picked up yard waste bags seasonally
    never had a problem...

i once put out 1800 SF of old carpeting [[cut down to 48" rolls)
    took it all

They've notified my community to expect delays in pickup due to the incinerator being shut down.

I've always wondered where my trash ends up, what that area looks like now and what becomes of the area. That information never seems to be available as if it's some kind of mysterious taboo knowledge.

What would it hurt to know?