Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I don't understand; what was honorable about the intent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I think the intent was honorable. It just got out of hand.

^^^... The road to hell is paved with good [[well you know the rest)......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^... The road to hell is paved with good [[well you know the rest)......
    Yes, Good intentions often go awry.

Exclusion meets Inclusion.

Exclusion is definitely not PC anymore.

Defacto segregation meets De Jure desegregation.

See post #9

Rather than charge everyone the rate that makes it easier for low income people to attend the event, they'd rather make everyone suffer. For them, the show runners, to get more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, why not just use the lower $10 price for everyone?

At least this whole thing has some people processing/ thinking/ talking and maybe we can see around-the-corner a bit before launching such attempts at redress of prejudice, racism and privilege!!
    Hmmmmm it would seem that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Well said Zacha.

Youthful exuberance for the cause.

I was like that once.

Got me in trouble too with the Man.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-10-19 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Rather than charge everyone the rate that makes it easier for low income people to attend the event,
    See, there it is. Others have skirted around it, but there it is in print. Who said POC are lower income than others?

If it was income based [[Show your SNAP/EBT or Medicaid Cards) there would have been no problem. Or even residency based [[show proof of address).

^^^ Yep, I could get to that option [[income based). In that option you're providing the option for low income people to enjoy a concert, yet not excluding others based on race.

The race thing just does not work if for no other reason if the races were reversed it would be highly challenged.

I gather now some are saying the organizers, and others are angry that the 'white-supremacists' racists were outraged. But they weren't coming to the event anyway. Goodness......

Yep. In the interest of helping a group, the group is stereotyped.

Ah, the riddles of man... womankind too! Just to keep thing gender fair sorta!!

See, there it is. Others have skirted around it, but there it is in print. Who said POC are lower income than others?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-13-19 at 05:53 PM.

Uh-oh I saw the word intersectionality come up! That might speak to some of the incoherence of the concerts pricing choice!

What were the organizers thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 01:50 PM.

I'm saying that giving advantages based on race is nothing new or unusual. It's also done in government contracts giving advantage to minority or women owned business.
    True. This isn't hidden. It is policy. We seem to accept it as a good thing.

I believe that it mostly doesn't work. IMO, maybe 10% of contracts set-aside for minorities truly benefit minority contractors. When I was in that world, what I mostly saw were companies setup to take advantage of the 'set asides' -- and funnel the cash right back to the cronies. Only in a dream world do set-asides help their intended targets.

This 'rapper' just seems to be out to get her name in the papers.
    I always wonder whether someone like this is sincere and really just wants to help, or is manipulative and publicity-seeking. Hard to tell. Today we celebrate those who fight racism using bigotry. So my guess is that they are sincere.

Doesn't matter. The result remains naive and destructive to their cause.

Uh-oh I saw the word intersectionality come up! That might speak to some of the incoherence of the concerts pricing choice!

What were the organizers thinking?
    This their website...

https://www.alliedmedia.org/afrofuture-youth/people

https://www.alliedmedia.org/afrofutu...h/get-involved

[QUOTE=Wesley Mouch;575362]True. This isn't hidden. It is policy. We seem to accept it as a good thing.

I believe that it mostly doesn't work. IMO, maybe 10% of contracts set-aside for minorities truly benefit minority contractors. When I was in that world, what I mostly saw were companies setup to take advantage of the 'set asides' -- and funnel the cash right back to the cronies. Only in a dream world do set-asides help their intended targets.

I always wonder whether someone like this is sincere and really just wants to help, or is manipulative and publicity-seeking. Hard to tell. Today we celebrate those who fight racism using bigotry. So my guess is that they are sincere.

Doesn't matter. The result remains naive and destructive to their cause.[/QUOTE

Sincere in helping or hurting who, and what is the cause? Is $10 going to change the lives of the 47 people that would attend, or hurt the 3 white people that would attend? Have you seen the map of this place? It's in a neighborhood. It looks like a place I might go to a BBQ or graduation party at. I said this was stupid before...in my opinion it's also a complete publicity stunt. And it was clearly effective in garnering publicity. So on second thought, maybe not that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Sincere in helping or hurting who, and what is the cause? Is $10 going to change the lives of the 47 people that would attend, or hurt the 3 white people that would attend? Have you seen the map of this place? It's in a neighborhood. It looks like a place I might go to a BBQ or graduation party at. I said this was stupid before...in my opinion it's also a complete publicity stunt. And it was clearly effective in garnering publicity. So on second thought, maybe not that stupid...
    We libertarians have a bad name these days. Live and let live is a forgotten concept -- everyone seems to be in favor of banning/canceling/control-of-others.

In this case, there's just no reason to care about what absurd things someone does -- unless there is direct harm. Nobody will be harmed by this little event's misguided policy. Let them have their intersectional fun, and leave them alone. Only when this kind of action moves up to 'public accomodations' should we care at all. Otherwise let others fly their fool flag.

I share some libertarian views until policy, politics, and behavior start to impact children/ teens. Then I have to push-back as I have worked with youth at the educational and career level. And related to family.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    We libertarians have a bad name these days. Live and let live is a forgotten concept -- everyone seems to be in favor of banning/canceling/control-of-others.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-11-19 at 01:35 PM.

Who knows maybe with the legalized weed everybody will get stoned,neked and run through the fields like one big happy family.

Until somebody starts changing admission to the fields according to ......

The race thing just does not work if for no other reason if the races were reversed it would be highly challenged.
    Racism against whites is by definition impossible .

OTOH, bigotry is equal-opportunity!

Racism is a systemic oppression by a race with power against a race that is oppressed. By that definition, the ticket pricing plan was not racist. It was however bigotry. Blacks cannot be racist because as a race they do not have power over whites.

^^Oh you're one of those people huh? Yeah, man fuck the dictionary. ..

"by definition" that made me laugh
    Last edited by Seven&wyo; July-13-19 at 12:23 PM.

Racism is a systemic oppression by a race with power against a race that is oppressed. By that definition, the ticket pricing plan was not racist. It was however bigotry. Blacks cannot be racist because as a race they do not have power over whites.
    Bullshit definition you have there...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Raci...hrome&ie=UTF-8

That's spin Wes. That's control the narrative speak.

Way to many forms of racism to simply boil down to one definition.

Prejudice is what you speak of?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-13-19 at 12:35 PM.

Actually, the organizers did; I watched them on TV saying that they were trying to make up for the pay inequity between black and white. I will try to see if I can find a clip of the woman organizer saying it. I think it was on Fox 2: They actually refer to it as the "wealth gap" between black and white:

About 1:10 into the video.
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...-people-double
    Last edited by jcole; July-13-19 at 12:43 PM.

Wouldn’t you say that in this case, blacks had power over whites since they were controlling the event?
    PS. I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts and regard them rational and well constructed. In this case, I had to question it.

Also being the minority or majority are relative terms. If you're speaking about the the country then, yes they are the minority, but in the City of Detroit they are the vast majority. Detroit needs diversity of every kind in every way from ethinical to economical. Whenever I hear black people complain about an area not being as black as it used to be it annoys me. I know it's an unpopular opinion but black people could have made Detroit the first black controlled city and make it a beautiful place to live for everyone and the complete opposite happened.

Are you saying that Detroit is now no longer a black controlled city?
    Exactly who, in your opinion, is controlling it now, and are these
    newer parties causing a miraculous turnaround now that can be seen,
    for example, at the intersection of Seven Mile and Wyoming? What is
    the step by step process from the new measures that were in place
    to the improvements at Seven Mile and Wyoming?

[[Being just a bit condescending and disingenuous for the sake of
    the argument. Am white and a former City of Detroit employee
    and am vested in the City of Detroit pension system and have
    former coworkers who have sued to obtain payments for major
    medical expenses, the City of Detroit not being like Generous
    Motors in this particular regard any more. A former City of
    Detroit coworker is on the Board of Police Commissioners
    and does not agree with deploying facial recognition software
    in Detroit at this time.)

[[I disagree with disparate pricing based on race, gender, etc.
    It is okay to have separate seating areas with some seats [[say close
    to the stage) having a higher price and others [[say to the sides)
    having a much, much lower price. It is okay to have a lower price
    but sell plenty of shirts, recordings, etc. or to request donations.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast