Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Genuine question: Why is there so much outrage from some members? I can think of some possibilities:
    - You believe it shows that POC are prejudiced against or hate non-POC?
    - You believe it shows that a difference in enforcement of laws?
    - You dislike hypocrisy?
    - You believe it represents a threat to non-POC?

I could go on, but I'm more interested in what you are thinking?

This event will now charge the same fee for everyone. The story is being reported on various websites right, left an in between including now national news... Way to go Detroit!!

For me this was always clear discrimination. I refused to participate in cognitive or emotional gyrations or justification to find it otherwise:

Imagine the sheer OUTRAGE where the races reversed! Double standard? Who thought this would go over without some level of push back??

I am sure the concert is about musical appreciation and entertainment, bringing folks together [[I am wrong?). In any event the organizers marred that by putting a racial bias to the buying. They set the tone. If I were eh' non POC I would have not attended...

Past discrimination is not solved by continuing this way, IMO.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inorities.html

• The event organizers on Sunday announced on Twitter that they would offer $20 general admission tickets to everyone
    • The change was made because of 'threats from white supremacists' and 'racist comments on Instagram'

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Well the story has made it to Fox's Website. That in itself says little.

Let's see where it doesn't make it.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-08-19 at 07:43 AM.

Rapp is not my cup of tea and own very few records. [[for lack of a better term) Kudos to Tiny Jag for taking a stand against racism. [[I get it she got some attention out of the deal) I know where I'm not welcome. It could be free and I wouldn't attend. Congratulations AfroFuture for setting race relations back a few years and giving Detroit an international black eye.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-08-19 at 06:52 AM.

So all affirmative action and minority preferences in contracting will now be eliminated?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Kudos to Tiny Jag for ...
    ... costing people more money?

No, they are not the same, affirmative action and open price discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So all affirmative action and minority preferences in contracting will now be eliminated?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-08-19 at 07:45 AM.

... costing people more money?

Do me a favor and try to figure out which side of the equation you're on before you post. Tiny Jag didn't contrive this scheme and didn't set the prices. Posting crap because you have nothing else to do is kind of lame. If all your integrity is worth is a couple of bucks, I feel for you.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-08-19 at 08:00 AM.

Well, perhaps not burned to the ground..........

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If a night club opens up and has no cover charge for whites and charges $100 for entry to African Americans that would apparently be okay, if anybody complains we can just write it off as people just trying to gain attention and get thier name in the paper.

The reality is the club owner would be brought up on charges or sued by 10,000 lawyers and the club burnt to the ground.

Hah! You're being too sensitive, all of this is great for the cause of racial harmony and recompense. I thought we covered all that......

Rapp is not my cup of tea and own very few records. [[for lack of a better term) Kudos to Tiny Jag for taking a stand against racism. [[I get it she got some attention out of the deal) I know where I'm not welcome. It could be free and I wouldn't attend. Congratulations AfroFuture for setting race relations back a few years and giving Detroit an international black eye.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-08-19 at 08:09 AM.

Do me a favor and try to figure out which side of the equation you're on before you post.

My 'side' is either it's allowed or it isn't. No picking and choosing. If race/gender based Affirmative Action and contract preferences are allowed, then why not event pricing?

They have changed the pricing.

Their reasoning? That they were getting harassed online. [[no shit)

The real reason? Evenbrite responded and said that they either fix this shit or else they're canceling the event on their site.

But we know that wouldn't look as good as a back pedal announcement for the festival.

Granted affirmative action has been controversial yet practiced at various levels, with some agreeing that it continue. Race-based price variants have not been currently tolerated when practiced openly as this was.

Thus, challenged to the level of being stop before it actually got going!

My 'side' is either it's allowed or it isn't. No picking and choosing. If race/gender based Affirmative Action and contract preferences are allowed, then why not event pricing?
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-08-19 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    So you're saying you are against Ladies' Nights.
    On Ladies night and as a promotion women are charged less not more then men,regardless of racial makeup.

These days you can as a male just say you identify as a woman and pay the cheaper cover charge.

Men are charged a higher insurance rate then women just as women are charged higher dry cleaning and salon rates.

But that would fall under gender bias versus racial bias,two different things.

Not surprising, except that the pressure is usually applied to the conservative view or voice [[think censoring, demonetizing and de-platforming: youtube, patreon, paypal, twitter, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    The real reason? Evenbrite responded and said that they either fix this shit or else they're canceling the event on their site.

That's right. If she gets noticed short-term that's but an outworking of her protest. I am most certain EVERYONE was/is not happy with her stand!

Tiny Jag didn't contrive this scheme and didn't set the prices...

^ misdirection to Jag,the event organizers knew exactly what they were doing but at the cost of others.

Nobody would have known who they were outside of thier circles now the world knows who they are,google could say how many times thier name was searched in the last 72 hours.

Why did they suck COD into the frey? Why not any other city,because everybody knows Detroit.

Pretty screwed up way to become ambitious.

^^^ Yes, those factors do seem to emerge, don't they! Detroit gets the bad publicity once again. DARN!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is federal civil rights legislation that prohibits discrimination in numerous settings including: employment, education, voting, and public accommodations. See FindLaw's codessection for the entire Civil Rights Act of 1964. Specifically, Title II prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin in places of public accommodations and provides injunctive relief for such violations. See the entire Title II text below.

Somehow hyper-racists schools like U of M still get away with it.

A perfect ACT score is worth like 10 points in their admissions,.. but having brown skin is worth 30 points.

So figure the difference between an average applicant's ACT score being worth 5 and a perfect score being 10,.... having brown skin is worth SIX TIMES as valuable as getting that perfect ACT score.

My children are mixed race,.. and I would NEVER send them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Somehow hyper-racists schools like U of M still get away with it.

A perfect ACT score is worth like 10 points in their admissions,.. but having brown skin is worth 30 points.

So figure the difference between an average applicant's ACT score being worth 5 and a perfect score being 10,.... having brown skin is worth SIX TIMES as valuable as getting that perfect ACT score.

My children are mixed race,.. and I would NEVER send them there.
    Maybe you missed the last 20 years but that system was ruled unconstitutional in 2003. You should probably let your kids decide where to go to college for themselves, anyway.

Chalk up another win for the "Social Justice Warriors"

That was an in your face example of race baiting.

But what the old style racists of all persuasions ain't caught on to is that the younguns today are being taught by our public schools through the common core themes of social studies.

The Social Justice Warriors are a result of this... [[as an example only)

https://hreusa.org/hre-library/topic.../lesson-plans/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.E-_TEB0exwQ

Of this phenomenon I can attest. I have witnessed it in my Grandchildren.

My son and I have talked about it when I do some "silly shit" and the kids give me the eye. Even comedy ain't funny no more.

Apples and oranges. If you have a problem with race/gender based Affirmative Action and contract preferences, then take a stand. Someone takes a stand against discrimination don't complain about the results. Chances of you driving to Detroit and attending this are probably slim to none, as they are for me. I'm happy someone did something.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    They have changed the pricing.

Their reasoning? That they were getting harassed online. [[no shit)

But we know that wouldn't look as good as a back pedal announcement for the festival.
    You know what, though? To me this is the fucking point. Thank you for relaying this.

It was a stupid pricing policy to begin with...I'm not overly concerned with the social justice side because, you know, if we just treated others the way we would want to be treated, etc., we wouldn't have these issues or existential discussions about race relations.

At the same time, all sides of race issues are fascinating and give a lot of food for thought because we are all different and have different backgrounds and race just takes a wiper brush to everyone's individual history and experience. And it can be pretty horrible at times. But in the end, most people just want to do the right thing, and something stupid like this got called out and changed because it was stupid. Yes I'm deliberately using an immature term like stupid. It's part of the point.

Just wait until they take some of the college course offerings!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    That was an in your face example of race baiting.

But what the old style racists of all persuasions ain't caught on to is that the younguns today are being taught by our public schools through the common core themes of social studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Just wait until they take some of the college course offerings!
    That Too!!??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast