Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Is this for real? Detroit Festival sets prices based on race?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-based-on-race

I assumed this was an "Onion" type of satirical piece but apparently it's true?
    Last edited by 401don; July-06-19 at 07:47 PM.

Given the URL ...

"Jillian Graham, aka Detroit-based rapper Tiny Jag, pulled out of a local music festival this week because she disagreed with its pay model, in which people of color would pay less for tickets than white festivalgoers.

Graham said she only found out about AfroFuture Fest's pay model when a white friend reached out to her and sent her a screenshot via Instagram that outlined the pay difference. The early bird POC [["people of color") ticket was $10 while the early bird "non-POC" ticket cost $20.

"I was immediately enraged just because I am biracial," Graham tells Metro Times. "I have family members that would have, under those circumstances, been subjected to something that I would not ever want them to be in ... especially not because of anything that I have going on."

Graham says after the festival confirmed the price structure, she immediately withdrew from the event and requested that she be removed from any promotional materials. She says because she had publicly supported the festival without knowing about the discrepancy between the ticket prices, that she had to publicly withdraw her support as well."

https://www.metrotimes.com/city-slan...rice-to-attend

So, was she screaming about school admissions and hiring policies that do basically the same type of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    "Jillian Graham, aka Detroit-based rapper Tiny Jag, pulled out of a local music festival this week because she disagreed with its pay model, in which people of color would pay less for tickets than white festivalgoers.

Graham said she only found out about AfroFuture Fest's pay model when a white friend reached out to her and sent her a screenshot via Instagram that outlined the pay difference. The early bird POC [["people of color") ticket was $10 while the early bird "non-POC" ticket cost $20.

"I was immediately enraged just because I am biracial," Graham tells Metro Times. "I have family members that would have, under those circumstances, been subjected to something that I would not ever want them to be in ... especially not because of anything that I have going on."

Graham says after the festival confirmed the price structure, she immediately withdrew from the event and requested that she be removed from any promotional materials. She says because she had publicly supported the festival without knowing about the discrepancy between the ticket prices, that she had to publicly withdraw her support as well."

https://www.metrotimes.com/city-slan...rice-to-attend

So, was she screaming about school admissions and hiring policies that do basically the same type of thing?
    What happened to my white privilege?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The Quick and The Funny.

Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-06-19 at 09:05 PM.

I guess I won't be going.
    I can take the hint.
    This Non POC is Persona Non Grata.

I'm Ok with it. I'm used to it. Nothing new.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-06-19 at 09:04 PM.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is federal civil rights legislation that prohibits discrimination in numerous settings including: employment, education, voting, and public accommodations. See FindLaw's codessection for the entire Civil Rights Act of 1964. Specifically, Title II prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin in places of public accommodations and provides injunctive relief for such violations. See the entire Title II text below.

SEC. 201. [[a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

https://civilrights.findlaw.com/enfo...ve-relief.html

Buy a ticket then find a lawyer and sue them for being in violation of the civil rights act of 1964,in front of an all white jury,that should be worth 50,60 mil.
    Last edited by Richard; July-06-19 at 11:11 PM.

This isn't much different than ladies' night promotions [[Ladies get in free every Thursday!) at your local bar. A quick search says Michigan has case law that allow those; other states don't allow.

Title II gets tricky, because section [[a) says any place of public accommodation, as described in section [[b):

[[b) Establishments affecting interstate commerce or supported in their activities by State action as places of public accommodation; lodgings; facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises; gasoline stations; places of exhibition or entertainment; other covered establishments

[[3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment

Is the empty lot at 866 Manistique St a place of entertainment? You would have to take it to federal court to find out.

On another level, could this construed as an example of a "De Facto segregation? A repudiation of De jure de-segregation.

de facto segregation [[segregation that exists because of the voluntary associations and neighborhoods)

de jure de-segregation [[de-segregation that exists because of laws that mandated the de-segregation)

I have have seen snippets here and there on the internets of just such a trend.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-07-19 at 02:06 AM.

Umm, this is blowing up big... [[someone sent me this youtube):

Timcast: Music Festival Charges White People DOUBLE...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-19 at 10:08 AM.

Sorry it's been removed at the behest of the new social order of reconciliation. And you better like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-19 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sorry it's been removed at the behest of the new social order of reconciliation. And you better like it!

"yes dear..."

Do you have any evidence of this? As you know, equal pay for equal work laws have existed for 50 years. School admissions are for the most part based on school districts, the city you pay taxes to. Anyone feeling discriminated against should file suit. You know they'll win.

Another question. Why are you not outraged by this? I guess it's OK when the Left chooses not to treat everyone equally when it suits them. Anyway, hope this festival falls victim to "Get Woke, Go Broke".

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    This isn't much different than ladies' night promotions [[Ladies get in free every Thursday!) at your local bar. A quick search says Michigan has case law that allow those; other states don't allow.

Title II gets tricky, because section [[a) says any place of public accommodation, as described in section [[b):

[[b) Establishments affecting interstate commerce or supported in their activities by State action as places of public accommodation; lodgings; facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises; gasoline stations; places of exhibition or entertainment; other covered establishments

[[3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment

Is the empty lot at 866 Manistique St a place of entertainment? You would have to take it to federal court to find out.
    It gets worse. Check this shit out.

"A man has successfully sued BrewDog for sex discrimination after a bartender refused to sell him a drink because of his gender.
    In March 2018, Dr Thomas Bower asked to buy the beer company’s Pink IPA, which was offered a discounted price of £4 for customers who identify as female.

However, the 27-year-old said that after a “back and forth” with the bartender, he felt “forced” to identify as female so that he could purchase the drink."

Well played sir.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8963521.html

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Do you have any evidence of this? As you know, equal pay for equal work laws have existed for 50 years. School admissions are for the most part based on school districts, the city you pay taxes to. Anyone feeling discriminated against should file suit. You know they'll win.
    Dude, really? You've never heard of Affirmative Action?

Or the NAACP? UNCF?

Well, this was in England or somewhere else that charges in pounds...
    It gets worse. Check this shit out.

"A man has successfully sued BrewDog for sex discrimination after a bartender refused to sell him a drink because of his gender.
    In March 2018, Dr Thomas Bower asked to buy the beer company’s Pink IPA, which was offered a discounted price of £4 for customers who identify as female.

However, the 27-year-old said that after a “back and forth” with the bartender, he felt “forced” to identify as female so that he could purchase the drink."

Well played sir.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8963521.html

Or the NAACP? UNCF?
    Oh my mistake, I thought you were arguing for more racial pandering. I'm with you on the failing Affirmative Action policies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVvnTByzTmA

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Well, this was in England or somewhere else that charges in pounds...
    It's become a global phenomena pushed by debunked 3rd wave Feminist pay gap misinformation.

Oh my mistake, I thought you were arguing for more racial pandering. I'm with you on the failing Affirmative Action policies.
    I'm saying that giving advantages based on race is nothing new or unusual. It's also done in government contracts giving advantage to minority or women owned business.

This 'rapper' just seems to be out to get her name in the papers.

Or the NAACP? UNCF?
    Do you also have a problem with Affirmative Action for the rich, such as when Trump got admitted to business school after Daddy’s big donation?

This differential pricing is without a doubt illegal. But I’d think many conservatives would embrace it because “freedom.” Or if the organizers could claim a “religious” basis, which always justifies discrimination to certain folks.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-07-19 at 01:57 PM.

Well the story has made it to Fox's Website. That in itself says little.

Let's see where it doesn't make it.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-07-19 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Do you also have a problem with Affirmative Action for the rich, such as when Trump got admitted to business school after Daddy’s big donation?

This differential pricing is without a doubt illegal. But I’d think many conservatives would embrace it because “freedom.” Or if the organizers could claim a “religious” basis, which always justifies discrimination to certain folks.
    Obviously not but I am for tax abatements to "rich" developers if it results in economic stimulation, employment and better use of abandoned properties. Gilbert has proven it can be done, not so much the Illitch's but let's wait and see what they have up their sleeve.

I'm saying that giving advantages based on race is nothing new or unusual. It's also done in government contracts giving advantage to minority or women owned business.

I see your point

So when the next post pops up where the admittance fees are reversed we should remember that line.

If a night club opens up and has no cover charge for whites and charges $100 for entry to African Americans that would apparently be okay,if anybody complains we can just write it off as people just trying to gain attention and get thier name in the paper.

The reality is the club owner would be brought up on charges or sued by 10,000 lawyers and the club burnt to the ground.

I agree it is common practice for women and minority’s to be placed within corporations as token pieces in order to gain advantage in winning government contracts.

But who is actually selling themselves out?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So when the next post pops up where the admittance fees are reversed we should remember that line.

If a night club opens up and has no cover charge for whites and charges $100 for entry to African Americans that would apparently be okay,if anybody complains we can just write it off as people just trying to gain attention and get thier name in the paper.
    So you're saying you are against Ladies' Nights.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast