Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Maybe you missed the last 20 years but that system was ruled unconstitutional in 2003. You should probably let your kids decide where to go to college for themselves, anyway.

That's true,.. but it only stopped them for a couple of years. Somehow.

They fought and fought in court,.. and somehow they are able to do it again.

Children are free to go where they like,.. unless they want papa to fork over a couple hundred grand, in which case I get a say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I guess I won't be going.
    I can take the hint.
    This Non POC is Persona Non Grata.

I'm Ok with it. I'm used to it. Nothing new.
    Because you were totally going to go otherwise, right Dan?

And yes, you're totally used to it. Oh woe is you, the poor oppressed white man. Do tell us about the systemic racism you experience on a daily basis so we can know what it's like to walk a mile in your New Balances. How many times did your neighbors call 911 on you this week because you existed as a white man in public and they felt threatened?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    That's true,.. but it only stopped them for a couple of years. Somehow.

They fought and fought in court,.. and somehow they are able to do it again.
    You got a link to support that bullshit lie of yours, Cletus? Because that's exactly what it is. Do tell, how did UofM "fight in court" to bring back Affirmative Action? Was it Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, the 2014 Michigan Supreme Court case when the court ruled 6-2 to uphold the State's ban on Affirmative Action in college admissions as Constitutional?

There is no Affirmative Action in admissions at UM. It's quite literally illegal. And their rate of African-American representation in their student body has plummeted by almost half as a result, so you got your desired outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

And yes, you're totally used to it. Oh woe is you, the poor oppressed white man. Do tell us about the systemic racism you experience on a daily basis so we can know what it's like to walk a mile in your New Balances. How many times did your neighbors call 911 on you this week because you existed as a white man in public and they felt threatened?
    OMG NOT ALL OLDER WHITE MEN WEAR NEW BALANCES THAT'S SO RACIST!!! I AM OPPRESSED!!!

/s

I feel your pain...

I think the intent was honorable. It just got out of hand.

Aj have you ever been employed by an entity that is exempt from title VII of the civil Rights act of 1964. I am. 20 yrs so far. Imagine what comes with that.

You and I are at the bottom of the pecking order here.

I'm ok with that. I'm used to it. Nothing new.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-09-19 at 07:00 AM.

When you treat people differently based on their race, that's racism.

Aj have you ever been employed by an entity that is exempt from title VII of the civil Rights act of 1964. I am. 20 yrs so far. Imagine what comes with that.

You and I are at the bottom of the pecking order here.

I'm ok with that. I'm used to it. Nothing new.
    Hey, maybe this is just part of their "religious beliefs", just like when a conservative baker refuses to provide goods or services to gay people just because they are gay. Oh let me guess, that's different though.

As for the vague circumstances of your life, I don't know where you work or what you do so I can't comment on that, nor do I particularly care that your life sucks because you made poor choices in life and/or are a jerk and therefore no one particularly likes you.

But hey, if whites are charged $10 too, you're going to go this festival, right? Because this was something that directly affected you and isn't just an excuse for you to play the white male victim card...

nor do I particularly care that your life sucks because you made poor choices in life and/or are a jerk and therefore no one particularly likes you.
    Ouch..........

Some like expanded definitions of 'public accommodation', in the interest of forcing wider non-discriminatory enforcement.

I personally like the more classic limitation cited elsewhere thread, where its targeted to hotels/motels, restaurants, theatres, shops. Better to let real racists exhibit their misguided behavior.

Hey, maybe this is just part of their "religious beliefs", just like when a conservative baker refuses to provide goods or services to gay people just because they are gay. Oh let me guess, that's different though.

As for the vague circumstances of your life, I don't know where you work or what you do so I can't comment on that, nor do I particularly care that your life sucks because you made poor choices in life and/or are a jerk and therefore no one particularly likes you.

But hey, if whites are charged $10 too, you're going to go this festival, right? Because this was something that directly affected you and isn't just an excuse for you to play the white male victim card...

Start cutting your asshole dosage in half.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    OMG NOT ALL OLDER WHITE MEN WEAR NEW BALANCES THAT'S SO RACIST!!! I AM OPPRESSED!!!

/s

Fully grown men have to.

I wear a 12.5 EEEE .

New Balance is the only company that makes shoes that fit. All other companies discriminate against people of wide feet.

We need to stage a protest.

LOL! Stereotype! Yeah. My daughter, black, wears varied NB's faithfully.

She runs [[even some short marathons), hikes a bit and aerobically exercises. And knows the difference between style/street wear [[store-front Nike's) and shoes for her level of exercise!

You get one pair of feet, and back!

Fully grown men have to.

I wear a 12.5 EEEE .

New Balance is the only company that makes shoes that fit. All other companies discriminate against people of wide feet.

Last edited by Zacha341; July-09-19 at 09:31 PM.

Fully grown men have to.

I wear a 12.5 EEEE .

My father wore a size 14 EEEE. After he had a bunionectomy he wore a size 14 D...
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; July-10-19 at 10:57 AM.

Fully grown men have to.

I wear a 12.5 EEEE .

Protest, sure, but better not march.

The Backlash...

Statement:

Eventbrite said in a statement to CNN they don't "permit events that require attendees to pay different prices based on their protected characteristics such as race or ethnicity."

Further From Article:

The group says its reasoning for doubling ticket prices for white people was because white people have the privilege to attend festivals in "POC populated cities." In other words, the group says, white people can afford tickets to any event in any city, while black and brown people cannot.

"This cycle disproportionately displaces black and brown people from enjoying entertainment in their own communities," the group said on Eventbrite.

FESTIVAL SCRAPS RACE-BASED TICKET PRICES
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ray, you nailed it.

After some reading and researching I agree with your assessment.

Three idealistic young women caught up in a media maelstrom .

Making a difference they are.

Just differing world views.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-10-19 at 07:06 AM.

So, why not just use the lower $10 price for everyone?

Ray, you nailed it.

After some reading and researching I agree with your assessment.

Three idealistic young women caught up in a media maelstrom .

Just differing world views.

Making a difference they are.

No they're not. Adrienne Ayers is a racist, plain and simple. She should have added a section in the back of the concert, "whites only".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-10-19 at 05:58 AM.

Well there's the FREE Concert of Colors this weekend!

Less drama and poli-tricks for all. Hopefully!

There's so much political baggage hanging on... what the heck at this point!

It will be mildly interesting to see how the turnout will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, why not just use the lower $10 price for everyone?

Say what? That's just too straight to the point! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    When you treat people differently based on their race, that's racism.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 07:58 AM.

Well, one rationale for doubling the price as stated in the Eventbrite article was: ' "white people have the privilege to attend festivals in "POC populated cities." '. Goodness the thread could blow a gasket in a full-out debate on whether all white people are privileged at the varied levels ascribed.

Setting that aside the concerts revenue could have been resolved to some extent with no reference to race whatsoever: Instead of the original $40 charge for a specific race, and $20 for POC, it could have been $30 for all! Now their revenue will be LOWER from the wrangling and damage control.

With FREE negative press for Detroit. Yay...

At least this whole thing has some people processing/ thinking/ talking and maybe we can see around-the-corner a bit before launching such attempts at redress of prejudice, racism and privilege!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-10-19 at 08:57 AM.

If your empathy fluctuates by the demographics of the victim or perpetrator then it isn’t truly empathy. These people are racists.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast