Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good answer by Meddle. It was totally accurate to the best of my recollection. And, Cincinnati Kid, the "big four" or cruiser crew used Buicks for many years. [[My favorite vehicle? Harley-Davidson, of course!)

One thing I forgot was the NG had their own comm systems to stay in touch with their people. They could relay where they were and what their situation was as well as call for additional assistance as needed.

The practice of coupling units wasn't just for NG though. It applied to all non-city units including outside city PD or FD units. As I recall, some other cities like Southfleld were assigned to cover outer ring stations like E54 and E59 that were at the command post. They would work by phone from the station to get orders on where to respond. That made sure that the neighborhoods weren't left without services. Not sure if PD handled it like that or if city officers covered #16 and other outer precincts.

[[And in checking my memory as to when #16 was active, I found this gem: http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1194220717 )

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I must of missed something coming up. I never saw a Buick LeSabre police car !! Great story Ray, you've seem to have had a great life, and seen a lot. May it continue gracefully....
    I grew up in Detroit and lived in the Livernois/Davison area at the time Ray1936 was assigned to the 10th precinct. It's very likely we crossed paths at least once. I remember those Buicks all too well. The Big Four used them. They were well known in the community for reasons I won't go into here. It's been a long time and I left Detroit years ago. I've also tried to leave behind memories of some of the things that happened to me inside the walls of the 10th precinct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2