Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Republic Development Corporation

Doing some research on subdivisions in Downriver I noticed that a single company built half or more of the housing stock in the area in the 1960s/70s. The "Republic Development Corporation" was headed by Leonard R. Farber and Howard M. Binkow. From what I have been able to gather, they built the following subdivisions:

-Dawnshire, Brownstown: 1978-1980, stopping until 1986-1988.
    -Southland Village, Brownstown: 1973-1976
    -Cedar Ridge, Brownstown: late 1960s-1970s
    -Heatherwoode, Brownstown: 1970s
    -Plumwoode, Brownstown: 1980s
    -Woodgrove, Brownstown: early 1980s

in addition to

-The Carriage Hills complex near Sheldon Road in Canton: 1960s-1970s
    -Quakertown, Livonia: ~Mid 1980s
    -Parkwoode Shores, Waterford: ~1980

I haven't been able to find much information on the company as they don't seem to be around anymore. From the late 70s onward they were headquartered at 31275 NW Highway in Farmington Hills, suite 100, and earlier in the 70s they were headquartered at 14201 West Eight Mile Road. Farber appears to have held the position of President the whole time, while Binkow may have departed in the early 80s. Stuart Farber, Leon Zolkower, Helen Greenstein, and Mark B. Farber are also listed as witnesses on a number of plat documents.

Does anyone know what happened to this company, and what other subdivisions they may have developed? Any original owners of a house built by Republic on the forum? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    MicrosoftFan

Pulte is now the leading real estate land developers in Metro-Detroit suburbs. Bought more plots of lands in the time of the housing market boom.

At the risk of thread hijacking, Pulte built my home here in Las Vegas. Well, Henderson, actually.