Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well it looks like we're squarely back to the original preemptive caution IMO: Avoid racial jokes and comments at work, and if you're a man for sure avoid any conversation that can be misconstrued as sexual or leading.

And no touching whatsoever, no hair sniffing, etc. I'm not overly sensitive, but I say don't even give compliments on attire! It's far better to err on caution rather face the court of 'public opinion' and find ones income ended!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not too much of a drinker here [[I do have my occasional moments though) As far as I’m concerned, if a person has a single drunk driving conviction doesn’t mean that they’re a raging alcoholic or a horrible human being. Driving while intoxicated is a terrible thing to do but it does happen, it never should but it does. I’m sure he was punished appropriately, he paid his debt to society, there was never any other problems, let’s move on from that one.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-06-19 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm not overly sensitive, but I say don't even give compliments on attire! It's far better to err on caution rather face the court of 'public opinion' and find ones income ended!
    And then you get accused of being anti-social and not a team player, unpleasant to be around and so on.

I got into a problem for not saying hello to someone in an elevator. No, really. That happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It's unfortunate, as I thought he was a good reporter, but if something looks too sketchy to say, keep your mouth shut. A few years back, Lauren Podell of WDIV got fired for using the "N" word, when she thought the cameras weren't rolling. So I guess she didn't deserve it either? Too bad the POTUS is exempt from his B.S. remarks. He's a big part of the problem with all this, and gets away with it. He's emboldened his base to say whatever the _uck they want.
    You must be young,do you know who George Jefferson was/is or Archie Bunker ? People have been saying what the _uck they want for ever,there is is a little thing called context or consider the source or ignore it or if the parties involved in a conversation are cool with it mind your own PnQs and do not force your offensive views on others.

Everybody is different,what offends one may not offend another,life 101.

That was around long before you or I and even way before the current POTUS.

And no touching whatsoever, no hair sniffing, etc.
    Hair sniffing?

Learned something new today.....thanks for the workplace warning.

^^^ LOL! Apparently that was Joe Biden issue socially speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H5NJZMDumY
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-19 at 08:17 AM.

It's a thin line granted, ala the team work ethic, but it need not be grim!! One of my career paths is sometimes comically socially charged where it can be said we 'work hard and play hard'. I sometimes hear things a bit off, and just smile, and slip away, or show no emotion whatsoever. I don't bang a gong of disproval or wave YOU-ALL-ARE-WRONG flag everytime!

I'm a bit anti-social re. lunch as some jobs now convey a subtle mandate that coworkers eat together, daily. I prefer lunch alone, away from potential drama and gossip so as to fully relax, and digest my food. As a compromise I eat lunch with coworkers 'sometimes'. Otherwise, without comment I simply vanish on my 'errands' to eat alone as preferred.

Professionally, I say 'hello' to everyone. Even the jerks too 'profound' to abide basic etiquette. I let that be their bondage not mine.

Erring on professionalism is a great fall-back should someone starts to yack about team building etc. Even in the so-called laid-back casual settings that can flip to strident, corporate and business should something be deemed sexual, racial, micro-agression etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And then you get accused of being anti-social and not a team player, unpleasant to be around and so on.

I got into a problem for not saying hello to someone in an elevator. No, really. That happened.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-19 at 08:33 AM.

Those comedy shows/ skits could never be made now in deference for the new social narrative as prescribed. The one thing I enjoyed about the Bunker/ Jefferson set was that they were sometimes shown attempting to work thru their racism and prejudice on the tube.

Prejudice and racism has not vanished but aside from the folks up front and bold with it, it is far more carefully hidden.

Even people who aren't racist are under pressure [[de-platforming, doxing, loosing job, friends and family) to pretend publicly and socially a counterfeit go-along with certain groups and views when privately they don't.

The racists remain, even more emboldened.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You must be young,do you know who George Jefferson was/is or Archie Bunker ?....
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-07-19 at 10:31 AM.

^^^ LOL! Apparently that was Joe Biden issue socially speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H5NJZMDumY
    LOL - now that is "creepy", ewwhhh.....

^^^ Yeah almost makes you want a strong drink!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-09-19 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I find the fact that the man has an alcohol problem little to do with the fact that he cracked a joke with a coworker.
    Findings of personal moral failures are necessary to cleanse the guilt of the woke. Both are findings of moral failure. They aren't just related, they are the same thing. Moral failure requiring condemnation and punishment that prove the accuser is pure. Redemption and forgiveness are historical concepts.

Well it looks like we're squarely back to the original preemptive caution IMO: Avoid racial jokes and comments at work, and if you're a man for sure avoid any conversation that can be misconstrued as sexual or leading.
    100% agree. My rules I live by at work is "don't say or type anything that you might regret later".

It sucks that folks may be misconstrued and fired for being "racist", but at the same time there are a lot of actually racist people you might work with. People using sarcasm put themselves in jeopardy because you're saying the opposite of how you feel, and the literal words still matter even without the context of tone and sarcasm.

At the same time, black folks have to worry about being shot and killed during a traffic stop. If I had to choose between worrying about getting fired over an innocent joke or getting shot because of a broken tail light, I'll choose the former.

I hope as time goes on that all this racial stuff will matter less and less and become a relic of the past.

^ one could hope but unfortunately it’s become a tool and financial motive for some.

Black folk have to also worry about getting shot by other black folks with no regard,so it is not just the evil white man that needs to do some soul searching.
    Last edited by Richard; July-09-19 at 02:01 PM.

"Delete your ad blocker"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2