Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Automotive icon Lee Iacocca dies at 94...

Last edited by Zacha341; July-02-19 at 11:47 PM.

If you can find a better CEO, hire him....
    R.I.P lee.

RIP Lee....

To many he was the person who saved Chrysler [[back in the day), and also the father of the Mustang.

But I'll also remember him for being the one who moved the Chrysler HQ to Auburn Hills.

Now there is a bigger than life blast from the past. One of a very few who could buck Hank the Deuce.
    Also credited with implementing and making car loans common to sell all them Mustangs. This guy made some history in Detroit.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-03-19 at 02:54 PM.

He was miffed when I called him late in the evening, @ home, when I was getting the run around with a car problem I had. But he listened to me, and got it resolved. You led a good life, Lee, RIP.

I first saw one of Lee Iacocca's achievements before I ever heard of him. Early in 1964 some friends and I were driving along the lake, and as we were passing Henry Ford's place we noticed a very different car at the front door. Turning back, we saw a small, 2-door, white coupe with a longish hood and short trunk. "What IS that", we all marveled. Our question was answered two weeks later with the huge introduction of the Mustang - and Lee Iacocca. Growing up in Detroit held surprises you didn't get elsewhere.

I worked for him. When Chrysler hired Lee, I was a die maker apprentice at the old Chrysler Vernor Tool & Die Plant [[located just north of the Jefferson Assembly, it closed back in 1983 along with the old Clairpointe Tool Room if there are any old-timers left who remember those places). Along with getting money from the government, he demanded that employees take a pay cut. My local, UAW local 212, had one of the largest memberships of any other local except maybe Ford local 600 at the time. We were asked to vote yes or no on the pay cut. I voted NO, I was young and cocky and felt they should pay us or shut this F”ing” place down. Thank GOD cooler heads prevailed, and the pay cut passed. I get a pension from Chrysler today because of Lee Iacocca, God bless him. I still have my diemaker journeyman’s card, one of my most prized possessions.