Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I drove over those donuts on Saturday on the Lodge wondering how that could have happened without some car[s] plowing into them. I had hoped to get back to take pictures from about and ask the forum about it.
    Apparently, they had several people block the freeway in order for them to perform this asinine stunt. One arrest. I caught the tail end of the 4 o'clock news.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/07/d...e-warning.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Apparently, they had several people block the freeway in order for them to perform this asinine stunt. One arrest. I caught the tail end of the 4 o'clock news.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/07/d...e-warning.html
    OMG! She used the "N" word! Now that's just racist!

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    IHeart - I have a great deal of respect for what you contribute here but this isn't anything like drag racing. Drag racing is terrible. I don't support it. But motorcycles on a freeway where innocent people are driving and have no idea what they are in for with these nutjobs is something 100% different. I never knew what it felt like to be afraid of seeing someone else die a horrible and preventable death until some fucking asshole on a motorcycle popped up on one wheel next to me a few summers ago. And it wasn't on the Lodge. It was on 696. I wanted to punch his face in for giving me that stress...I think that humans do NOT want to see other humans die and this guy completely challenged that!
    It's okay to respectfully disagree. I like you too.

However, just weeks ago there was a story about an elderly couple killed on 7 Mile when their car was hit by someone suspected of racing. Personally, I've unknowingly driven onto streets been used as drag strips in Detroit a number of times. I could have been killed as well.

All of it is extremely reckless, but I'm far more afraid of unwittingly driving into the middle of a drag race than being caught in a traffic jam on the Lodge because of someone blocking the freeway to spin out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I drove over those donuts on Saturday on the Lodge wondering how that could have happened without some car[s] plowing into them. I had hoped to get back to take pictures from about and ask the forum about it.
    I haven't seen those particular ones on the Lodge, but I see the rubber donuts all over, including Belle Isle. That's going to turn into a thing, like tagging.

riff raffs and street rats.

The behavior mirrors that of an animal, actually animals behave better, but at a minimum no respect for the safety of others. Pathetic, self indulged, and non caring.. they get what they deserve hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    riff raffs and street rats.
    Danny speaks wisely.

I drove over the donut circular burnt rubber leftover areas of the Lodge today... I wonder who had the nerve to be the first to slow down the traffic to a halt for that across lane setup?

They could have been rear ended in the effort!

My old grounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    This guy couldn't have said it any better...

"What were they thinking?’ They have nothing to do. Nothing to do. And they find it as some form of fun,” said Ernest Burt.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-lodge-freeway

Funny thing, just this past Saturday, we drove by my husband old home and we ran into the same thing at the corner of Edmore and Redmond.

Stand stills on below grade freeways freak me out. Especially being stuck on the express on 96. You are just screwed.

Luckily no one was trying to make it to a hospital etc that day.

They're playing the tapes of that crap on the TV stations here in Las Vegas. Nothing like national news, eh?

Thing is, what do you do? Assuming you have 10 or 15 marked units at the right place and time, then what? You get behind them, you got a chase. We know how that can end. You get in front of them and block the road; they decide to try and run the roadblock, that can end badly. Cameras? If you can identify a plate and vehicle, how do you ID the driver?

These turds know all that too.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My old grounds
    yes ma'am

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Thing is, what do you do? Assuming you have 10 or 15 marked units at the right place and time, then what? You get behind them, you got a chase. We know how that can end. You get in front of them and block the road; they decide to try and run the roadblock, that can end badly. Cameras? If you can identify a plate and vehicle, how do you ID the driver?

These turds know all that too.
    You can always taze them. Oh, wait...

Birth control

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Identify the plates and seize the vehicle because it was used in the commission of a crime. But you'd need to come up with a bigger charge than 'impeding the flow of traffic'.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Identify the plates and seize the vehicle because it was used in the commission of a crime. But you'd need to come up with a bigger charge than 'impeding the flow of traffic'.
    We could always follow in Iowa's footsteps:
    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ters/96956940/

You just need to catch them. There is no way these cars are being abused like that and are legal.

^^^ The burn-rubber circles are just south of the Livernois avenue exit along with not a few scrapes along the fwy divider and shoulders.

Maybe the paint left behind can serve some forensic purposes!

Every Wednesday night street racers gathered in a parking lot in Southfield, then headed out to the expressway where they blocked traffic and staged drag races. That was back in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    They're playing the tapes of that crap on the TV stations here in Las Vegas. Nothing like national news, eh?
    Damn Ray, we made it all the way to Vegas? The D is always in the news about something.

And innocents died caught up in those - back in the day.

I knew a man with a family broadsided-dead passing thru one of those in the late eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Every Wednesday night street racers gathered in a parking lot in Southfield, then headed out to the expressway where they blocked traffic and staged drag races. That was back in 1970.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-19 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    At least a few plate numbers are visible in the video. Confiscate the vehicles and add them to the DPD fleet after making sure every one of these punks never drives [[legally) again.

This isn't done just to have fun, if that were the case they would do it in an empty parking lot like I did when I was young. No, this is done specifically to "Stick it" to society and all decent people. That can't be tolerated and I hope the law comes down hard on each and every one of them.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I heard on the news yesterday that the Mayor is thinking of
    "providing "these drivers with an area where they can do their donuts within the City limits. They don't want an area, they want to stick it like you say. Why on earth would anyone pander to these people is my question. Their actions are deplorable and very dangerous to the spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Damn Ray, we made it all the way to Vegas? The D is always in the news about something.
    That's certainly not the kind of news I'd like Detroit to be known for. All the memories of Detroit from when I was growing up in the late 40's and 50' are the absolute best. I hate what Detroit has become.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    All of it is extremely reckless, but I'm far more afraid of unwittingly driving into the middle of a drag race than being caught in a traffic jam on the Lodge because of someone blocking the freeway to spin out.
    Imagine a semi tooling down the lodge at 55MPH in the middle of the night, coming around a blind curve and seeing a line of cars stopped across all three lanes. The lodge in that area is tight with barely any shoulder. Blocking traffic like this on a freeway is *insanely* dangerous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast