Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Giordano’s closed

I haven’t seen this discussed previously. I was downtown yesterday and noticed from afar that Giordano’s had paper covering its windows and door. I then googled Giordano’s in Detroit and according to Google it is permanently closed. Anyone know when this happened or any other feedback on why it closed?

Yes, yelp shows them are reported closed... I wish I'd had a chance to try their deep dish pizza.

https://www.facebook.com/GiordanosDetroit

still posting on their page as of an hour ago.

Last edited by Zacha341; June-29-19 at 10:55 AM.

I'm not suprised. It might be pie, but it's not pizza.
    Name:  kingscounty_chowfather.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  194.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I'm not suprised. It might be pie, but it's not pizza.
    Name:  kingscounty_chowfather.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  194.6 KB
    Neither is that abomination you posted considered Pizza.

Very unappetizing. *pukes*

First Bagger Daves and Giordano's Pizza in that same building. Either its been cursed, lack of better parking spaces, higher gentrification rent prices or Buffalo Wild Wings next door is winning the restaurant turf wars.

Being that I have visited Chicago several times and have had Giordano's deep dish pizza, I will say that the picture of the slice of pizza is not a deep dish slice of pizza from Giordano's. Their deep dish pizza is very similar to Pizza Papalis. In fact, I believe Giordano's was around in Chicagowell before Pizza Papalis showed up in Detroit. There in might be the problem for their closing. Detroiters are used to Pizza Papalis. I believe the location could have also played a factor in its closing. The restaurant itself was functional although I only got carryout there. Now, I had heard on more than one occasion that getting your food when you dined in was entirely too long. All the things I mentioned could have led to the closing. The deep dish pizza being sub-par was not one of them.
    Last edited by royce; June-30-19 at 12:31 AM.

Giordano's and Baggar Dave's were both mediocre. Expensive dry burgers and lasagna that they call pizza were never going to succeed.

Maybe they were part of that 'drinkin' -- don't care about the food' crowd?

I can't imagine that to be too large of a crowd!!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-30-19 at 08:50 AM.

Looks like a giant Little Caesars cheese-only slice [[a day old)!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Neither is that abomination you posted considered Pizza.

Very unappetizing. *pukes*
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-19 at 10:13 AM.

That corner could be seedy and crazy at times.

Randolph is way too wide and can be kind of a dragstrip through there. Plus that weird temporary plaza in front is very unappealing and with absolutely nothing across the street it just isn't that great of a location.
    Last edited by gumby; June-30-19 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo

I think Mootz opening up around the corner and Pizza Papalis and Nikkis. provided alot of competition, now Buddys wont be far away also, lots of alternatives..

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, yelp shows them are reported closed... I wish I'd had a chance to try their deep dish pizza.
    I was at the one on Irving Park. Nothing special about the pie, horrible service. I prefer Lou Malnati's. Their crust is buttery, flaky, yum.

I ate there once last summer. Food wasn’t very good and didn’t seemed fully cooked. Staff was very nice, but that doesn’t mean much if the food served isn’t good. Something will replace it soon. Hopefully it’s better than Giordano’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Tried Giordanos once at their branch in Orlando. Way to much sauce cheese and toppings for the crust. Give me Buddy's any day.

Bring some soul food into that spot.