Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help with an old picture

Which intersection is this at Hastings?

All I can guess is that we're looking west-southwest. It looks like maybe we're as far south that we're looking into downtown from Hastings, so somewhere in Black Bottom vs. Paradise Valley?

If you open the pic in another tab and enlarge it looks like the other street begins with a W, so could this be Winder and Hastings?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If you open the pic in another tab and enlarge it looks like the other street begins with a W, so could this be Winder and Hastings?
    Winder, the E & B Brewery can be seen in the background.

Winder Street looking east from Hastings.

https://detroithistorical.pastperfec...F-239664819940

^^^ Nice find Cassique!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Nice find Cassique!
    Google is a powerful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by cassique View Post
    Winder Street looking east from Hastings.

https://detroithistorical.pastperfec...F-239664819940
    I'm impressed!

This pic was taken around the mid 1950s. I say 56 or 57

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This pic was taken around the mid 1950s. I say 56 or 57
    I'd say you're right. Newest car I can see is that front car, a '55 Ford.

April 25, 1960

I've been searching for a picture of the area of Hastings and Hendrie. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, all! And a special thanks to cassique for finding that link so the photo can be properly attributed.

So this would be almost immediately north of where the Fisher crosses the Chrysler. Funny, too, as I thought we were looking west, but this says we're looking east. Trying to figure out what the taller buildings in the background are, then. Must have been old buildings on East Vernor or something, because nothing of any height currently rises looking east down Winder from Eastern Market. Mostly, it's just townhomes and small campus-style apart buildings in Lafayette and Edgewood parks.

So Hastings more exactly ran where the southbound Chrysler Service Drive runs now, correct?
    Last edited by Dexlin; June-27-19 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post

So Hastings more exactly ran where the southbound Chrysler Service Drive runs now, correct?
    Correct....

Thanks, all! And a special thanks to cassique for finding that link so the photo can be properly attributed.

So this would be almost immediately north of where the Fisher crosses the Chrysler. Funny, too, as I thought we were looking west, but this says we're looking east. Trying to figure out what the taller buildings in the background are, then. Must have been old buildings on East Vernor or something, because nothing of any height currently rises looking east down Winder from Eastern Market. Mostly, it's just townhomes and small campus-style apart buildings in Lafayette and Edgewood parks.

Danny who you dismissed knew exactly where the photo was taken, and you did not read my comments on the E&B Brewery seen in the background of the photo.

If you drive down the southbound service drive from Warren Avenue, you will see a number of fire hydrants. In some places they exist where there is no building near by. Most exist at what was once the intersection between Hastings and a side street. They are especially noticeable south of Mack Avenue.