Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bloomfield Hills Menards Opens - Finally!

Today the BH Menards opened after what seemed to me like a very long buildout. I've been watching for well over a year - I thought it would be open in the fall for Christmas but not until today is it finally open.

It is a nice addition to the area and provides some competition for Lowes and Home Depot in the area.

Where else can you get a 2x4, a gallon of milk and an anniversary card under one roof? Plus someone at Menards likes toy trains - they carry quite a selection in the store around Christmas and online even more.

I'm kind of on the fence about Menards. I love the varied selection, but the single entrance door system where you either walk a marathon loop or cheat and walk in the "Out" door and uncomfortably cut through the registers is annoying. And don't even get me started on their lumber yard.

You have to pay in advance before they'll let you drive in the yard or load. Sounds reasonable enough, but what if you pay for something and then they don't have it. Or what they have is crap? It's a three ring circus that involves walking in and checking the stock first, going to the back desk to pay, driving around back to load and hoping that what you just looked at is still there and in good condition. Otherwise it's another trip inside to redo the order then back out again. It can be a nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm kind of on the fence about Menards. I love the varied selection, but the single entrance door system where you either walk a marathon loop or cheat and walk in the "Out" door and uncomfortably cut through the registers is annoying.
    That's a Swedish invention - IKEA perfected it.

Is it true they're too lazy [[or cheap) to bag your stuff for you?

That's one of the reasons I don't do Aldis very often.

Menards is going to kill it at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Is it true they're too lazy [[or cheap) to bag your stuff for you?

That's one of the reasons I don't do Aldis very often.
    I take it you have never been to Europe? That's how it is there... no frills. And at Aldi's here you even have to return your cart to the cart corral to get your quarter back.

Europeans are in general slenderer than Americans for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Menards is going to kill it at that location.
    Where is it located?

Home Depot and Lowes really need some competition. Those stores are disorganized and apathetic about customer service. How is it I can spend thousands of dollars at Home Depot and all they have is flimsy plastic bag for you to exit with? They can't even provide larger paper bags.....

Can't wait to visit this Menards.
    Johnny 5, don't ever get lumber from these places. Public Lumber on 7 mile or Durst in Berkley have good lumber.

6/$10 Jack's Pizza by the mattress section
    Sheet Rock w/ 11% rebate every other week
    Gallon Shrubs & heinous patio furniture
    acrylic whirlpool tubs & jeld win skylights

all in 2 stories and a cart escalator? count me in.
    Last edited by hybridy; June-26-19 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Where is it located?
    at the failed Bloomfield Park moonscape

This thread feels like it should be moved to the advertising bar.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    This thread feels like it should be moved to the advertising bar.
    Shhh. Can you hear that? "Save big money at Menards....!"

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Home Depot and Lowes really need some competition. Those stores are disorganized and apathetic about customer service. How is it I can spend thousands of dollars at Home Depot and all they have is flimsy plastic bag for you to exit with? They can't even provide larger paper bags.....

Can't wait to visit this Menards.
    Johnny 5, don't ever get lumber from these places. Public Lumber on 7 mile or Durst in Berkley have good lumber.
    Totally agree with that first paragraph, the Lowe’s near the recently opened Menards is not good at all. I haven’t been into that new Menards but it’s got to be an improvement over that Lowe’s.

Menard's just won the 2016 J.D. Power and Associates Award. That's incredible for a warehouse-like home improvement, electronics, toys, furniture store.

Take that Lowes and Home Depot!

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Home Depot and Lowes really need some competition. Those stores are disorganized and apathetic about customer service.
    The secret is to look up what you want on your phone and their website will tell you what aisle and bay the item is in... sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    The secret is to look up what you want on your phone and their website will tell you what aisle and bay the item is in... sometimes...
    True. I usually get 4 things though so it just feels like extra work.

[[Then why are the stores not universally laid out? the sections are always different unfortunately. Signage? No signage. Anyway I'll stop complaining and check out Menards)