Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Square Winning Design -- Gallagher Underwhelmed

The design proposal led by French Agence Ter has been chosen to create the campus uniting the 83 acre Cultural Center encompassing the the library, art museum, CCS and other institutions.

It will narrow Woodward, make the area far more grassy, include a meandering walk way, and convert the large asphalt parking lot behind the Scarab Club into a park. Parking will be moved underground.

Free Press architectural reporter John Gallagher seems to rate it a 'meh'.
    Cultural district plan lacks a 'district' feel

What do you think? Here are pictures I took of the winner while the three contenders were be presented at the DIA.

Name:  DetroitSquareDay.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  DetroitSquareNight.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  83.4 KB

Maybe it just doesn't show up in the renderings but it looks like they could do more to tie the area together fairly inexpensively by adding unique walkways, benches, signage, art installations, etc. rather than just have these large open grassy areas.

I'm underwhelmed too although much of it sounds good like shortening Woodward and removing parking.

This cooky canopy thing on the museum looks extremely stupid, hoping that gets thrown out. If they want the area to be more lively and walkable they should focus on development around the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It will narrow Woodward,
    NO!!!!!!!!!!

What do you guys do with the large grassy open areas in the winter?

Make snowmen?

You think they would come up with something that would be beneficial year round.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell View Post
    it will narrow woodward
    Quote Originally Posted by meddle View Post
    no!!!!!!!!!!
    yaaas!

Name:  60-people_road-space.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  55.2 KB
    Last edited by bust; June-25-19 at 01:30 PM.

I was a bit surprised and disappointed when this entry was selected. There are some interesting ideas but overall I thought Mikyoung Kim Design had the better fleshed out plan that would allow for year round programming. Much of this concept looks like simply making the green space more interesting in parts and adding onto buildings.

If they wanted to make it more attractive they can start by removing that hideous parking structure surrounding the Rackham Center in the lower left of those images. What an eyesore hiding that beautiful building behind it.

Good luck trying to narrow Woodward with the Q-line tracks being present and not removable. You could eliminate three inner lanes of Woodward and create a grassy median and add a walk way like on Woodward between Campus Martius and Larned St. The northwest corner of the DIA could definitely use some place-making like what you have at Campus Martius. That would require taking down some trees and the bushes on that side and adding some cement or gravel walk-ways. I do like the concept of replacing the surface parking lot behind the Scarab Club with underground parking. That's about all I like about this project.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    yaaas!

Name:  60-people_road-space.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  55.2 KB
    But if those cars fit 4-8 then really its only 15 or 7.5 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    overall I thought Mikyoung Kim Design had the better fleshed out plan
    I like that they included a Stargate!Name:  DIA_Light-Structure_Vignette stargate.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  78.9 KB