Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Maybe this woman was hanging out at the bar of this establishment for the sole purpose of trying to get 'picked up' by high-paid athletes or other rich dudes known to frequent this place...hanging out at the bar so others could buy her free drinks...not providing any tips, being rude and belligerent in the process to other patrons with no intention of having a meal, and has done this before. She was eventually called out by the wait staff, and decided to claim 'rascalism' because of it.

Not saying that's the case, but probably more likely than anything to do with race.
    "Maybe", not an entirely unlikely scenario. I once went out with 8 women on a " girls night out". [[don't ask) What an eye opener and education! Men are such fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Fair point, most do think they're better than blacks. They all pool their money together to invest in stores and gas stations. I know of uncles, brothers, and cousins, that each own their stores and gas stations. This is something that the black community have not been able to do. They could own and control , if they did.
    So do Koreans and Chinese. Ambitious blacks used to own their own little stores in the black areas of town. Somewhere in the sixties, that became uncool and ambitious blacks all wanted to go to college and major in "sociology" as "ethnic studies" hadn't been discovered yet. As the balck owners got older and older, there was no one to take their place and the Koreans, Chaldeans, Chinese, and black Jamaicans moved into the vacuum and filled the need for stores in the black community.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I have yet to see anything from the place saying 'you have to move because ________'.
    lol you are expecting a script to be handed out?

You know the next step is with a cheap suit lawyer so ...

The president of a local chapter of the NAACP in South Carolina said he was racially profiled in April by a police officer when he was pulled over for a traffic violation, but body camera footage released by the Timmonsville Police Department contradicts the reverend’s claims.

“TONIGHT I WAS RACIALLY PROFILED by Timmonsville Officer CAUSE I WAS DRIVING A MERCEDES BENZ AND GOING HOME IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD,” Jarrod Moultrie posted on Facebook April 13.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

Two things:
    1. I've been asked to move, but nobody has poured out my drink, and then asked me to pay for it. If that happened to me, I would write the manager a strongly worded letter, or set fire to the joint.
    2. There is video from the restaurant, and from patrons of the food throwing incident. Those should be interesting.

Here's the WXYZ coverage of a press conference for both incidents.

But varied groups often do [[demand an equivalent exclusionary rule).

This is a negative by product of the intersectionality construct [[using the word construct loosely) that presents one discriminated group and or sub-groups as more aggrieved and deserving over another.

If you're not part of, or low on the hierarchy of intersectionality you at least should virtue signal that you agree with its existence. So goes the requirement in part.

Additionally, you must continue to adapt your world view/ values as the tower of intersectionality shifts per the progressive politic that determines who can or deserves to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I am old enough to have felt [[in 1964) that most of our racial problems were behind us and that we were looking at a future of "race blind" interactions.

More the fool me.

If there can be "black only" or "women only" events and spaces, why is it wrong for "white only" or "men only" events and spaces?

At some time, logic should say what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

If you campaign to tear down one exclusionary rule, you cannot demand an equivalent exclusionary rule.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-26-19 at 04:24 PM.

Oberlin collage was ordered to pay 44 million in damages to a buisness that false claims of racial profiling were leveled against.

The link reads 11 million but it was upgraded to the 44 million.

It shows what happens when things get out of hand.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/09/us/...9_iZx2kBQ07xk-

"One student, Jonathan Aladin, was accused of attempted robbery for allegedly trying to "steal wine or otherwise illegally obtain wine" WHAT! Was Aladin Sane? We had a similar issue here in MI a few years back. Detroit students were being bussed to Bloomfield High School in some kind of student exchange program. Racial slurs started appearing on the high school walls. It became a serious issue, attorneys filed, the media called in, and eventually the Feds became involved. Students and staff were questioned, including a friend who worked there @ the time. One of the Detroit students fessed up. He said he did it because he felt awkward there. Not sure what the final results were. I know Bloomfield dropped the issue. I take these things with a grain of salt now, especially when I see a B/S title like "'No Coloreds' at J Alexander's Restaurant in West Bloomfield!!!"
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-26-19 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Chaldeans are probably the most racist people I know and it's usually just against blacks. I know the Chaldean/black community have a rocky history so I guess this proves it's not over.
    Not any bit more racist than blacks. I happen to be Chaldean and worked in a liquor store for a great deal of my life in Detroit. On a daily basis, blacks would say deragotory comments about Arabs and cuss us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    But they open party stores and gas stations in black communities, and expect blacks to patronize them. Plenty of irony in that alone. You hate us, but you need our business. B.S.
    Yeah, they have opened up stores in a city when nobody else would..so say thank you. Also, you conveniently forgot to mention how many Chaldean have been murdered by Blacks and held up by Blacks or had their establishments broken into. Care to comment on that?

They friken risk their lives working behind a bullet proof wall and have to worry about walking to their cars at night. How many Chaldeans have murdered Blacks? How many Chaldeans have robbed Blacks? How many Chaldeans have broken into Black owned Businesses? Care to comment? So save me your violin playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    My experience with Chaldeans is that they seem to really really want to assimilate with white people and want white approval. I think that's where the racism comes in. They want to feel like they're above black Americans so they can cozy up to white folk.
    Your premise is flawed. First, Chaldeans for the most part are not trying to impress white people or gain their approval. They don't have this mentality. To begin, most Chaldean prefer to intermarry. Second, most associate with each other. Third, while many of the younger generations are assimilating into maintream American society [[much like Asians), they don't look at it as trying to be white or gain their acceptance. Rather, it is a natural progression of interacting with society at large economically, culturally, and linguistically. Basically - trying to do the best for yourself economically, be a productive member of society, and depend on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    I'm all for more black owned businesses in the city and going to owners who actually live in the city. These Chaldeans take their money to West Bloomfield and put their cash into trashy private catholic schools.
    Yeah...tell that to all the Black city workers who take their money to live in "White" suburbs or all the Blacks in Detroit who put their kids in "white" public schools. Ummhhhmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    Yeah...tell that to all the Black city workers who take their money to live in "White" suburbs or all the Blacks in Detroit who put their kids in "white" public schools. Ummhhhmmm.
    I read both of your posts and you beat me to the punch. The problem on this forum is you're dealing with a bunch of loud mouth book learnin' media babies with no real life experience. I remember when there were NO gas stations or markets in Detroit. When the Chaldeans started buying up and opening the boarded up, bombed out, spray painted businesses, I thought they were nuts. Any group of people could have done the same thing but anyone who made their money in Detroit, took it and high tailed it out of there, putting nothing back into the community they came from. Or worse, came back, added to the demise, and robbed existing residents blind. Anyway welcome to the forum and Thanx for the real post. By the way, lookee here, my moneys funny. Let me have a pack of Kool Milds until next week when I get my check. You know me, bro', I'm good for it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-27-19 at 06:51 AM.

Did you just say that black people should thank Chaldeans for opening up liquor stores in their communities!?! And you say Chaldeans haven't killed any black people, yeah right! What do you expect people to do and say when all you do is sell over priced groceries and liquor? Wait, I get it you are only supposed to rob the community blind and reap unfair reward. The hidden fees alone built and keep building Chaldean communities. You are just lucky the city doesn't do a weekly audit of grossly over priced items and shaddy business practices. Just a few examples would be charging a hidden fees of 50 cents for each card transaction, a dozen eggs for 4 dollars and the list goes on. Gee thanks for all those shaddy years you've been in the black community! No wonder why you have to stand behind a bullet proof glass!

And no, Detroit was not full of boarded up stores and bombed out buildings laced with graffiti. Let's do a survey of who owned and still owns the majority of buildings in and around the city. Bet it wouldn't be black owned. The reality is clear here black people have been denied access plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    And no, Detroit was not full of boarded up stores and bombed out buildings laced with graffiti. Let's do a survey of who owned and still owns the majority of buildings in and around the city. Bet it wouldn't be black owned. The reality is clear here black people have been denied access plain and simple.
    Yeah, Ok. Thanx for proving my point. Of course you also know that the Chaldeans to were denied access to bank loans to buy and open businesses? How they got around that were bank rolled by the wealthiest, and after those made it they put their money back into the kitty and funded others. And yes, Detroit was full of abandoned, closed down businesses. People took risks and even sold them on land contracts, which exasperated the problem. But it's all about you.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-27-19 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    So do Koreans and Chinese. Ambitious blacks used to own their own little stores in the black areas of town. Somewhere in the sixties, that became uncool and ambitious blacks all wanted to go to college and major in "sociology" as "ethnic studies" hadn't been discovered yet. As the balck owners got older and older, there was no one to take their place and the Koreans, Chaldeans, Chinese, and black Jamaicans moved into the vacuum and filled the need for stores in the black community.
    There were a lot of Jewish store owners along streets like 12th as well. There was a race-riot that reduced their number.

To your other point, I've always wondered why the Black communities across the US decided that government intervention was a better path to success than entrepreneurship. Sure, I hear that this is the legacy of slavery -- but a lot of cultural/ethnic groups faced similar adversity. Was it the Great Society, holding out its open hand with cash?

Years ago, I read an article that said that in the end, the Great Society [[and its kin) didn't really help poverty much through direct action. But that its massive hiring of black administrators and clerks created a relatively wealthy black middle class of some size and power. That would support the 'government is the solution' mindset.

[[More insight from those more intersectionally privileged that white, cis me solicited.)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; June-27-19 at 11:20 AM. Reason: minor edit

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    There were a lot of Jewish store owners along streets like 12th as well. There was a race-riot that reduced their number too.

To your other point, I've always wondered why the Black communities across the US decided that government intervention was a better path to success than entrepreneurship. Sure, I hear that this is the legacy of slavery -- but a lot of cultural/ethnic groups faced similar adversity. Was it the Great Society, holding out its open hand with cash?

Years ago, I read an article that said that in the end, the Great Society [[and its kin) didn't really help poverty much through direct action. But that its massive hiring of black administrators and clerks created a relatively wealthy black middle class of some size and power. That would support the 'government is the solution' mindset.

[[More insight from those more intersectionally privileged that white, cis me solicited.)
    A lot of it has to do with common culture. Immigrant groups coming over share culture in their religion, language, foods, etc. They have a common understanding of each other and common goals.

Black Americans who's families have been here since slavery had their culture completely ripped from them and have essentially had to build it from the ground up.

New immigrant groups came from countries where they ran businesses and controlled the economy, blacks have never been in that situation except for small enclaves of segregated America.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I would love you to name ONE non-white group that was enslaved for 500 years and then legally discriminated against for another 100 years. No, this is the legacy of slavery. [[And the genocide and displacement of our Native peoples) The large financial institutions didn't do much to aid freed men and women and their descendants. No home loans. No business loans. Why do you think black neighborhoods had their own banks? But black banks were still not as strong and wealthy as Wall St. banks and therefore it's hard to actually build generational wealth across the entire population.

The Great Society can rightfully be criticized, however it's not like the "free market" was there to do anything, especially when its entrenched in white supremacy. "They decided it" [[who? when?) maybe because the government was the only entity trying to help them gain equality.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Gant's cell phone video shows nothing to corroborate her story but, if J Alexander's surveillance camera show's otherwise, why don't they put that out there too?

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    and that is why we have cameras covering every square inch in our clubs and restaurants,an ant cannot get out the door with a crumb without being recorded.

thats that jessie syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Gant's cell phone video shows nothing to corroborate her story but, if J Alexander's surveillance camera show's otherwise, why don't they put that out there too?
    because once you turn it over to the police for investigation it is on them to present the video,in case charges are filed etc. you are not supposed to use the court of public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    A lot of it has to do with common culture. Immigrant groups coming over share culture in their religion, language, foods, etc. They have a common understanding of each other and common goals.

Black Americans who's families have been here since slavery had their culture completely ripped from them and have essentially had to build it from the ground up.

New immigrant groups came from countries where they ran businesses and controlled the economy, blacks have never been in that situation except for small enclaves of segregated America.
    You need to inform the over 2 million African Americans that are buisness owners that produce a payroll of over 23 billion and those numbers are on the light side,that.

I guess they made the choice of living in the past and looking for blame or rising above.

I urge all black folks not to eat and buy a drink in all J. Alexander's locations until management fix its Civil Rights measures.

Is it possible that some people got into an argument over something at a bar that was or wasn’t alcohol fueled? I’ve been to that bar area and / or had dinner at that particular J Alex’s many times. Actually I’ve never even seen a hint of a problem. Was there a problem on a couple of occasions? I guess so, so what’s the BFD?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast