Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 'No Coloreds' at J Alexander's Restaurant in West Bloomfield!

This is utterly ridiculous. An African American female who was sitting in the bar was told to give up her seat for a white man at J. Alexander's Bar and Restaurant in West Bloomfield, MI. She will be suing that place.

Jim Crow is slowly coming back. And if Civil Rights measures are not taken care it will a racial explosion far greater then an atomic explosion.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...1hXieANsgt4NwI

J. Alexander's Bar and Restaurant should not be a "White's Only" establishment.

With the competition out there [[no shortage of supposedly high end restaurants) JA's seem to have alot of nerve to allow anything resembling this.

Especially considering how fast reviews can turn on a restaurant ala the internet!

I dined there with family very recently, no problem, but I don't think I'll be back...

Here's the other incident of food throwing:

Man says J Alexander's offered no help as customer used racial slurs, threw food at him
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-19 at 08:01 AM.

Default Can't we all just get along?

We’re seeing more and more stories about divisive racist behavior lately and not just here buy all over, here’s another example that I recently saw in the newspaper:

“Only black reporters allowed in Georgia mayoral race event
    March 28, 2019
    SAVANNAH, Ga. [[AP) — Organizers of a meeting to discuss an upcoming mayoral race in Georgia barred reporters from attending — unless they were African-American.
    The Wednesday meeting at a church in Savannah was held to try to unite the city’s black community behind a single candidate for mayor in the Nov. 5 election. Signs at the door said “Black Press Only!”
    White reporters were denied entry, while at least two black reporters and the publisher of a local African-American newspaper were allowed inside, the Savannah Morning News reported . Television cameras and recording devices were also prohibited.”Name:  AP_Black_Press_Only.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  86.3 KB

Chaldeans are probably the most racist people I know and it's usually just against blacks. I know the Chaldean/black community have a rocky history so I guess this proves it's not over.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    We’re seeing more and more stories about divisive racist behavior lately and not just here buy all over, here’s another example that I recently saw in the newspaper:

“Only black reporters allowed in Georgia mayoral race event
    March 28, 2019
    SAVANNAH, Ga. [[AP) — Organizers of a meeting to discuss an upcoming mayoral race in Georgia barred reporters from attending — unless they were African-American.
    The Wednesday meeting at a church in Savannah was held to try to unite the city’s black community behind a single candidate for mayor in the Nov. 5 election. Signs at the door said “Black Press Only!”
    White reporters were denied entry, while at least two black reporters and the publisher of a local African-American newspaper were allowed inside, the Savannah Morning News reported . Television cameras and recording devices were also prohibited.”Name:  AP_Black_Press_Only.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  86.3 KB
    This is so wholly different. Public access restaurant that should be a place for everyone vs. private meeting of local black leaders with black media members. Black people do not need to defend themselves when they create a space for themselves.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; June-25-19 at 08:42 AM.

Oh-my this is treading on very thin ice. Because if it ok for us to segregate others will claim the same... And when this occurs we have to be 'good' with that, right? So the logic goes?

Where are we heading with all of this, really? More to the point what politic is pushing us in this direction??

Separate graduations, dorms, restaurants, etc. On the other hand you cannot really FORCE people together either! You end up with a great deal of 'polite' and less sincerity. Perhaps that will do.

Interesting times indeed....
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-19 at 09:19 AM.

I have been in fancier Restaurants and asked to give up a seat while waiting on friends that were delayed,restaurants make money by turning seats during peak times.

Try doing that in even an IHOP on a Sunday morning,no way they are going to allow you to tie up even a booth while waiting for others to arrive when there is a line out the door.

She could have said screw you,I am not moving until I finish my drink,so they finished it for her,we are not getting the whole story,if it was a white person sitting there and was asked to move,would it have been an issiue?

If I arrive early and reserve seats and the other parties are delayed even 30 minutes that just cost the business 1 turnover of those seats,it would be on me to give up those seats until all parties arrived.

It is in bolded print in the link provided it clearly reads,no employees were involved with video provided as proof in the food throwing incident.

Sometimes people make things into something it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have been in fancier Restaurants and asked to give up a seat while waiting on friends that were delayed,restaurants make money by turning seats during peak times.
    You didn't read the part that said her friend was in the restaurant.

Considering how inaccurate the news media can be, maybe just wait until all the facts are known before declaring an atomic Jim Crow race war. Just a thought...
    Last edited by Pat001; June-25-19 at 02:23 PM.

When these come out, I'm always waiting for Paul Harvey and 'The Rest Of The Story'.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    This is so wholly different.
    Yes, it's always "wholly different", isn't it?

That factor does seem to emerge doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    When these come out, I'm always waiting for Paul Harvey and 'The Rest Of The Story'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    With the competition out there [[no shortage of supposedly high end restaurants) JA's seem to have alot of nerve to allow anything resembling this.

Especially considering how fast reviews can turn on a restaurant ala the internet!

I dined there with family very recently, no problem, but I don't think I'll be back...

Here's the other incident of food throwing:

Man says J Alexander's offered no help as customer used racial slurs, threw food at him

But the headlines is not what happened, is it? The Chaldean guy apparently had an problem with their skin color and should be terminated. In his own words, patrons, and Bloomfield Police sided with the man and his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yes, it's always "wholly different", isn't it?
    No, not always. But in this case, yes.

Ditch the prejudice guy before he takes out your whole restaurant I say!

That business/ industry is too fickle and review driven for this kind of showing.

But the headlines is not what happened, is it? The Chaldean guy apparently had an problem with their skin color and should be terminated. In his own words, patrons, and Bloomfield Police sided with the man and his wife.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-19 at 09:42 AM.

No, not always. But in this case, yes.
    Well then, I'm going to gather just my white friends, hold a press conference, and post a sign in the window "No Black Press". Watch for Danny's Fox News headline post tomorrow morning.

^^^ Wouldn't that be the NPR, MSNBC or CNN?

Or do you mean Fox would be celebrating?

You did add the 'Danny' quotient...... Hah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-25-19 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Wouldn't that be the NPR, MSNBC or CNN?

Or do you mean Fox would be celebrating?

You did add the 'Danny' quotient...... Hah!
    I like ZNN, always a fair shake.

The only thing that seems to be certain is that the woman was asked to give up the empty seat she was "Saving" and maybe hers as well. Was it due to her race? No freaking clue, but as a clean cut white guy that spent my fair share of time on a bar stool I can recall being asked to move [[By employees) many times. If I ever wanted to "save" a seat in a slightly busy place I'd buy my slightly tardy friend a drink and have it set in their place. If they didn't come back by the time I finished my first, that drink's my second and the seat is empty. And I wouldn't even consider doing something like that if the place was packed. It's just rude.

I wasn't there to see what happened, but bars are in the business of selling alcohol and empty seats don't drink. My guess is this woman simply forced the issue of saving the seat and the bartender had enough.
    A valued regular might be able to curry favor and hold onto an empty seat for an extended period, but that's not a privilege given to every customer that walks in the door on a busy night.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-25-19 at 10:22 AM.

Well then, I'm going to gather just my white friends, hold a press conference, and post a sign in the window "No Black Press". Watch for Danny's Fox News headline post tomorrow morning.
    Ok, have fun.

Black people do not need to defend themselves when they create a space for themselves.
    INCORRECT !

Racism is racism. EVEN when it's a black person that's being racist.

White clubs aren't allowed.

And there would be a massive outcry if whites formed a United Whitey College Fund,..

or a National Organization for the Advancement of Whitey,

or had a white's only meeting to pick what white mayoral candidate we were going to have next,

or barred certain press based on their skin color.

How on Earth can you not see that?

Chaldeans are probably the most racist people I know and it's usually just against blacks. I know the Chaldean/black community have a rocky history so I guess this proves it's not over.

But they open party stores and gas stations in black communities, and expect blacks to patronize them. Plenty of irony in that alone. You hate us, but you need our business. B.S.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-25-19 at 10:43 AM.

The Chaldean guy apparently had an problem with their skin color and should be terminated.

From the stories at least,.. the Chaldean guy was a customer,. not an employee.

This was a thing between 2 customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The only thing that seems to be certain is that the woman was asked to give up the empty seat she was "Saving" and maybe hers as well. Was it due to her race? No freaking clue, but as a clean cut white guy that spent my fair share of time on a bar stool I can recall being asked to move [[By employees) many times. If I ever wanted to "save" a seat in a slightly busy place I'd buy my slightly tardy friend a drink and have it set in their place. If they didn't come back by the time I finished my first, that drink's my second and the seat is empty. And I wouldn't even consider doing something like that if the place was packed. It's just rude.

I wasn't there to see what happened, but bars are in the business of selling alcohol and empty seats don't drink. My guess is this woman simply forced the issue of saving the seat and the bartender had enough.
    A valued regular might be able to curry favor and hold onto an empty seat for an extended period, but that's not a privilege given to every customer that walks in the door on a busy night.
    Two points: Her companion was in the establishment; just not sitting there. Even so, there is a difference between not being allowed to “save” a seat, if that is what the issue was, and being refused service while waiting for someone because you won’t give up your seat at the bar. Should a single person have to give up a seat for a couple? “I’m here with a friend, so give up your seat lady.”
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; June-25-19 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post

Kudos Johnny

Every seat in a busy bar MUST generate a certain number of dollars per hour. Same with every table and every booth. A bar / restaurant cannot stay in business if people camp out and nurse one drink for long periods, especially when they're tasking up 2 seats at the bar [[and a bar stool makes more money per seat than seats in a booth).

I too have been asked to give up my seat, table, pool/table. I never had a problem with it. Though it is rare,.. because if I see a couple people waiting for a pair of seats together,.. I'll move on my own. I'm sympathetic to business being a business person myself,.. and am not going to pitch fit about "my rights",... and screw up their ability to make a living.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast