Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit pro sports teams.

Allow me to play the Devil's Advocate briefly.

With lousy teams in the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL, which team is most likely to abandon Detroit for greener pastures? I mean, except for the Wings, the other three teams are bleeding money with sky high salaries and [[comparatively) minimal attendance at games. Sure, advertising on TV picks up a bunch of the dough, but it's got to start some thinking of other venues if things don't improve.

Here in Las Vegas, we nailed a [[highly successful) NHL franchise, and the Oakland Raiders will become the Vegas Raiders next year. I suspect there are a few in the bucks here that are seeking a MLB team in the very near future.

So.............what do you see negatively for the four Detroit teams in the years ahead? Just wonderin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ...... which team is most likely to abandon Detroit for greener pastures?
    None........Perhaps the Pistons, but i dont think any time soon, so I'll still say none.

NFL franchises are tax-free cash cows, going no where. I still hear "strong" rumors the Tigers are for sale.....Pistons/awful, attendance validates, VC's all about making money, would not be surprised if they moved.

If the Tigers are bleeding any money it's only because the payroll is too high during a rebuild. Other rebuilding teams might have an extra 20-25 million leftover payroll but the Tigers had Cabrera, Zimmerman, JV, Fielder, etc.. That was certainly Mike Ilitch's choice, but not a necessity. Also, keep in mind unless your revenues are so bad it's affecting cash flow in your family/other businesses any losses are more than made up with ever increasing franchise values.

Had Gores started a full rebuild 2 years ago the Pistons might have had one of the top 3 in this year's draft and a cornerstone to build around. Attendance certainly could not have been worse. I don't know why Detroit owners seem to have been the last to learn that signing guys past their prime to big money deals [[Griffin, Zimmerman, half a dozen Wings) is not the way to go. However Gores has more than enough money to suffer losses for a few years and turn things around.
    Last edited by 401don; June-24-19 at 07:14 AM.

It's all about tv ratings and marketing, and the Detroit area is still ranked 11th in the nation. As long as that holds true, none of the 4 professional teams are likely to move anywhere.

Allow me to play the Devil's Advocate briefly.

With lousy teams in the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL, which team is most likely to abandon Detroit for greener pastures? I mean, except for the Wings, the other three teams are bleeding money with sky high salaries and [[comparatively) minimal attendance at games. Sure, advertising on TV picks up a bunch of the dough, but it's got to start some thinking of other venues if things don't improve.

Here in Las Vegas, we nailed a [[highly successful) NHL franchise, and the Oakland Raiders will become the Vegas Raiders next year. I suspect there are a few in the bucks here that are seeking a MLB team in the very near future.

So.............what do you see negatively for the four Detroit teams in the years ahead? Just wonderin'.
    The four Detroit teams all have nice stadium situations, so none of them are leaving. It's really that simple. The problem with the Detroit teams is management. The location, fans and stadiums are all pluses.....except maybe the Piston's fan base, but even that isn't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    It's all about tv ratings and marketing, and the Detroit area is still ranked 11th in the nation. As long as that holds true, none of the 4 professional teams are likely to move anywhere.
    This. It is all about the TV ratings and contracts.

As of now, I can't seen any of the professional sports teams moving anywhere.

None of the Detroit teams are in danger of relocation. Despite the recent struggles of all four teams, there is historic success among all of them:

Red Wings, 11 Stanley Cups
    Tigers, 4 World Series Titles
    Lions 4 NFL Championships
    Pistons 3 NBA Championships

As down as things are, the historic successes and regarded last names of owners attached to most of our teams means that the money will continue to roll in and profits will be protected no matter how mediocre the results on the field of play.

That being said, I would like it if the team owners in our city demanded more excellence than they have lately.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post

That being said, I would like it if the team owners in our city demanded more excellence than they have lately.
    My guess is, Martha did just that.

I'd rather see LV get an all new baseball team than the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I'd rather see LV get an all new baseball team than the Tigers.
    Jeez, so would I. Look what success we've had with the Golden Knights!

Ray - you can take the Lions, maybe the LV climate w/help?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Ray - you can take the Lions, maybe the LV climate w/help?
    Pass on the Lions. The Oakland Raiders become the Las Vegas Raiders next year. Practice field is being constructed in Henderson, about four miles from my house. Looks impressive.

Pass on the Lions. The Oakland Raiders become the Las Vegas Raiders next year. Practice field is being constructed in Henderson, about four miles from my house. Looks impressive.
    Yeah, Oakland gets screwed out of their NFL team [[again) and their NBA team one year apart.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yeah, Oakland gets screwed out of their NFL team [[again) and their NBA team one year apart.
    No attendance = no team. Follow the money.

No attendance = no team. Follow the money.
    Not true in this case. Raiders averaged over 57,000 in 2017 when the decision to leave was made. Warriors sell out every game but can make more money in San Fran.

Warriors sell out every game but can make more money in San Fran.
    The Warriors are building a completely self-financed, 18K seat arena, offices that include Uber's headquarters, with a $300 million naming rights deal and an entertainment district that will be completed next year.

Pretty much the complete and total opposite of everything the Ilitch Corp. has done. Incredibly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The Warriors are building a completely self-financed, 18K seat arena, offices that include Uber's headquarters, with a $300 million naming rights deal and an entertainment district that will be completed next year.

Pretty much the complete and total opposite of everything the Ilitch Corp. has done. Incredibly impressive.
    True but it means the average Joe who lives in Oakland and drives for Uber won't be able to afford a ticket. I was half agreeing with Ray. It's not just about attendance any more. It's about revenue streams.
    Last edited by 401don; June-28-19 at 09:29 AM.

True but it means the average Joe who lives in Oakland and drives for Uber won't be able to afford a ticket. I was half agreeing with Ray. It's not just about attendance any more. It's about revenue streams.
    Once the Warriors got good; the average Joe got pushed out by the average tech millionaire for sure. Reading stuff about $15K seat licences for the new arena. Insane.