Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Amongst Top Cities With Renters Trying to Move Away

That is according to an analysis by Apartment List.

It's also last amongst cities that are attracting renters from elsewhere.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/06...p-data/591151/

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...report-2019q2/

"While the above examples focus primarily on metros that are attracting renters from across the country, Detroit represents a counterexample of a regional city that is failing to generate inbound interest from outside the Midwest.

As described above, Detroit’s population, while no longer plummeting as it has in the past, remains stagnant, and most users searching for apartments in Detroit already live in the metro. Of those searching in Detroit from elsewhere, 10.0 percent are coming from Cleveland, while the next three most popular inbound locations are the smaller Michigan metros of Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Flint. This failure to attract talent from other parts of the country indicates how far Detroit has yet to come on its road to recovery."
    Last edited by 313WX; June-23-19 at 10:21 AM.

Is the lack of renters moving in partly because people prefer to buy a comparable condo or loft? Looking at rental rates, they seem rather pricey for what you get.

This isntthat surprising if you really think about it. All these other cities[[other then maybe Cleveland) are all relatively healthy where as Detroit had been rebounding for only a little while and although the areas that are doing well are growing it's still not the city as a whole[[yet). With that being said this article was utter bullshit and doesn't mean anything to me. I want to see the demographics who is looking out of Detroit, but just giving a vague synopsis of "apartments.com tends to skew more female and younger" leaves a lot to be desired as far as information is concerned.

We get it 313wx you hate Detroit and enjoy seeing its downfall we already talked about this in another thread, fuck...

Are people moving to most mid-western cities? No. So basically Detroit is doing as well or poorly as Cleveland, KC, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Indianapolis.....

I maintain that this is another false rebound bubble, limited to a few niche areas. Until and unless the neighborhoods and schools start to come back, I see no real future.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Are people moving to most mid-western cities? No. So basically Detroit is doing as well or poorly as Cleveland, KC, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Indianapolis.....
    1. Those aren't peer cities to Detroit. Chicago and Minneapolis are. The reports states they only considered the top 25 metros.

2. St. Louis was pretty high up on the list, and even Minneapolis had relatively respectable numbers compared to Detroit. So other major midwestern cities aren't doing nearly as bad as Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I maintain that this is another false rebound bubble, limited to a few niche areas. Until and unless the neighborhoods and schools start to come back, I see no real future.
    The real test will be how well Detroit withstands the next inevitable auto industry downturn.

I also think a lot of what's happening is due to transplants and investors who have no real roots to the area and could pick up and move at a moment's notice. It's not involving the families and core residents. In fact, they may be alienated even further.

The city needs an influx of blue collar jobs that most anyone can learn to do if they choose. So far, all I've seen mentioned are tech and finance jobs that are out of reach of city schooled kids.

I also think a lot of what's happening is due to transplants and investors who have no real roots to the area and could pick up and move at a moment's notice. It's not involving the families and core residents. In fact, they may be alienated even further.

The city needs an influx of blue collar jobs that most anyone can learn to do if they choose. So far, all I've seen mentioned are tech and finance jobs that are out of reach of city schooled kids.
    Detroit needs both.

There have been several articles about college graduates fleeing Michigan becauae of the lack of high-paying jobs, unless you're an auto engineer during an upswing in the Auto Industry.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-23-19 at 01:34 PM.

Do people here use "apartment list"? This ranking is from searches on their [[and only their) website. I had never heard of their site until just now.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Do people here use "apartment list"? This ranking is from searches on their [[and only their) website. I had never heard of their site until just now.
    It's basically bullshit data that's flawed in so so many ways and doesn't say anything concrete but it makes for good bait articles so it's proped like it means something.

It's more worthless than those polls that say 60% of people want to leave the San Francisco Bay area.
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; June-23-19 at 01:38 PM.

If you like daily shootings, robberies, and killings, then Detroit is your kind of city. Charlotte North Carolina and Minneapolis Minnesota are both going to overtake Detroit in the 2020 census. Dan Gilbert did his utmost not to have the media report on multiple bank robberies next to the Cube.... Working for Securitas on the Bedrock account opened my eyes to what really goes on in downtown...the neighborhoods are far worse...

You maintain nonsense like most Detroit haters, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    If you like daily shootings, robberies, and killings, then Detroit is your kind of city. Charlotte North Carolina and Minneapolis Minnesota are both going to overtake Detroit in the 2020 census. Dan Gilbert did his utmost not to have the media report on multiple bank robberies next to the Cube.... Working for Securitas on the Bedrock account opened my eyes to what really goes on in downtown...the neighborhoods are far worse...
    This is an absurd false narrative. It's like saying New York city has daily shooting and robberies if you like that it's the place for you! Charlotte must be overtaking it!

Nobody should take you word for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    2. St. Louis was pretty high up on the list, and even Minneapolis had relatively respectable numbers compared to Detroit. So other major midwestern cities aren't doing nearly as bad as Detroit.
    This is false. Based on census data St. Louis had significantly higher city losses than Detroit. Both metros are growing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    As far as the bolded, I think your numbers are off.

Charlotte proper already surpassed Detroit proper back in 2010 [[it should have 1 million people or close to it by 2020). But even then, Metro Detroit is still much bigger than it [[4.2 million). At the current rate of growth, Metro Charlotte [[2.6 million) shouldn't surpass Metro Detroit any time before 2040.

I know it doesn't feel like it though, with Charlotte being a white collar financial hub and punching so far above its weight compared to blue collar Detroit. I was surprised to discover Charlotte's airport has more annual passengers than DTW.

As far as Minneapolis proper [[only ~450,000 people), it has a ways to go before it surpasses Detroit proper. Metro population could be a photo finish in 2020 though [[currently estimated at ~4 million).

I agree, if your living in the city and have kids, figure about 10K per year, per kids for private schools. I don’t think most people want to pay that. They want decent schools that come with the property taxes they’re paying.

This is great I kinda like these threads now. People that don't live in the city say the exact same thing, crime, schools, etc. People that live in the city see the contrast from 2010 to now, more people, more houses occupied, more etc. People outside yeah, but that only 7.2 miles. People that live in the neighborhoods 2010 these houses that were border up are now occupied and actual families live in them. People that don't yeah, but there's no walk ability. I could tell people that don't live in the city that I have fresh produce in my fridge and the response would be? You guessed it I got it from the suburbs.

The article is based on online search activity, not on actual relocations.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    This is great I kinda like these threads now. People that don't live in the city say the exact same thing, crime, schools, etc. People that live in the city see the contrast from 2010 to now, more people, more houses occupied, more etc. People outside yeah, but that only 7.2 miles. People that live in the neighborhoods 2010 these houses that were border up are now occupied and actual families live in them. People that don't yeah, but there's no walk ability. I could tell people that don't live in the city that I have fresh produce in my fridge and the response would be? You guessed it I got it from the suburbs.
    Agree 100%. Midtown and downtown were ghost towns in the past. Now I see vibrancy. I see community gardens where there was once weeds and litter. I see kids playing outside on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn.F View Post
    Midtown and downtown were ghost towns in the past. Now I see vibrancy.
    Niche areas.

How about Brightmoor, Old Redford, Warrendale, the area near what used to be Herman Gardens, Grand River-Oakman, etc., etc., etc., etc ......

Says the woman that lives in the middle of nowhere and hasn't been to the city in decades...
    Old Redford is doing great. Warrendale is doing ok from last I went there. I've been noticing more Arabic retail and businesses lately.
    Enjoy living in shithole New Mexico

Niche areas.

How about Brightmoor, Old Redford, Warrendale, the area near what used to be Herman Gardens, Grand River-Oakman, etc., etc., etc., etc ......
    "Niche areas" So dismissive. It took decades for the city to reach it's lowest point. Do you think it's going to come back overnight? Re-read post 18 and realize bragaboutme already addressed your dumb "how abouts"

One thing about these threads, you can always tell who sunk a boatload of money into an investment hoping to "hit it big".

For the first time since I started working for my employers – 4 out of 5 apartment buildings are at 100 % occupancy. Just south of 100 units, which are all located on the west side, to have this many qualified tenants is a first for me, I manage two of the five buildings.
    One of the buildings is in Brightmoor – which is the building that has available units. However, the building is at ninety plus percent. I’ve noticed a recent uptick in demolitions in the area, making a dent in the blight that stifles grow.
    Every property is an investment, and every property makes money. Maintenance is high and turnover – while stabilizing – still cuts into the bottom line. There is a percentage of tenants that are chronically late with their rent, however, evictions remain rare. There were none last month, and I don’t believe there are any this month. There are some tenants that come in just under the wire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast