Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings

It's kind of a big year of change for the Wings with the return of Steve Yzerman as their General Manager. Now he has created a stir with his first draft pick in that role.
    Wings stun by picking Moritz Seider 6th
    Defenseman top rookie in Germany's best league
    VANCOUVER, British Columbia - At sixth overall in the 2019 NHL draft, the Detroit Red Wings picked German defenseman Moritz Seider at Rogers Arena.

Seider was rookie of the year in the DEL, Germany's top men's hockey league in 2018-19. He had six points in 29 games for Mannheim. He brings size at 6 feet 3 and 208 pounds, and shoots right. Moritz looked stunned to hear his name called so early.

It was the first pick with Steve Yzerman as general manager. Seider was ranked sixth among European skaters in final draft. rankings.

Interesting that both the Wings and Pistons have made international / non-North American first round picks.

I know a lot of people are confused by the Seider pick, but I think he is a great fit. He is confident with the puck and has exceptional hands for a defenseman of his size. This has been a major point of concern on the Red Wings blueline the last few years. Put 30 pounds on Seider over the next couple of years and he will be a force in the defensive end too.

Im a big hockey prospects guy, and had him pegged about 10 spots lower. But this pick screams Yzerman. We have every reason to trust him at this point.

I dont think Seider would benefit from another season in Germany. I would like to see him in Grand Rapids with the 9 game trial in Detroit like Zadina had this past season.

Interesting how many fans are trusting this pick, which based on the "experts" and mock drafts is far riskier than the Pistons selection, because it's Yzerman making it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Interesting how many fans are trusting this pick, which based on the "experts" and mock drafts is far riskier than the Pistons selection, because it's Yzerman making it.
    he's earned the right. that's the reason everyone is so excited. he's a proven winner and crafted a cup contender in the tampa bay market. wasn't afraid to make tough decisions. the pistons have done nothing to earn our trust yet. they keep being satisfied with being stuck in nba purgatory

I was not a fan of any of the forwards available - decent players, yes, but not game-changers or rare commodities. When I heard the pick, I was so glad he didn't go for a big center. Then I watched tape on him. He may have been the only other D man in the draft with true top-pairing potential.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post