Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Pistols, revolvers, GUNS, oh my!

I am looking into purchasing a weapon for personal protection. A little late my friends would say since my home was broken into 3 months ago but better late than never!

I have been to 3 gun shops to pick the brains of the "guys in the know" behind the counter. So far I have lots of info but am nowhere closer to deciding what I need.

One guy says I need a 22, another guy said I need a 38 and of course there is always the big guy that thinks everyone should have a 9mm. I am not a small gal but don't want something that will be crazy for me to own and learn how to use responsibly. Some say used weapons are OK, the next guy says new is the only way to go.

The one place all referred me to was Motor City Marksman for classes. They all spoke very highly of Cat, a certified instructor there. Finally something they all agreed on!

It was so much easier to purchase my first home than purchase a gun. At least I could go by how "cute" the house was before even looking at the price. Probably not a good way to purchase a weapon!

Anyone have any suggestions?

cheddar bob Guest

For home protection, I've always favored the shotgun. No long range capabilities, but will do some heavy damage at close range.

Lorax Guest

I would agree with Bob, a shotgun, sawed off, if you don't want the extra length, but for home invasion, it's the best.

On the street, or in the car, such as here in Miami, a Glock is best- compact, easy to use.

lilpup Guest

Shotgun, 9mm, or a .45. Any handgun smaller than a 9mm or .45 will just piss off the intruder instead of stopping him.

After caliber size you need to decide how much you want to spend. Either new or used from a reputable shop will work. I opted for new and stainless [[a little more expensive). This is mine:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols..._pro_carry_II/

This model has a slightly shorter barrel length but it's lighter and has less recoil, plus since the magazine holds only seven rounds and isn't double stacked like most Glocks are I can fully close my hand around the smaller grip. Kimbers are very popular with women and some police forces are using them now, too. They can be found for less than the price listed on the website.

I'd recommend a .38 special revolver for a gal. No safety catches/half cock to fool around with, and can be fired single action or double action [[hammer either forward or back). Throw a lock through the frame if kids are to visit.

I know a lady who watched out her window as kids tried to break into her pick-up. They casually walked away when she yelled out her window at them. She was insecure and thought maybe she would feel more secure if she had a pistol.

I took her to the local Ace Hardware gun shop. After the saleman asked her a few questions, he sold her some super pepper spray instead. He determined that she probably not be willing to pull the trigger of a gun. He said that a lot of dads buy these things when they send their daughters off to college. The police sprays are extra strength. They will pretty well neutralize someone while you get out of the room. Example https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?...tegory_Code=LS
    There are also purse size containers. I like the fog better than the stream because you don't have to be as accurate. If you don't have the heart to pull a trigger, consider this.

lilpup Guest

good option, oladub

How much do you want to spend?

I would suggest a compact Glock 9mm. Around $500

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

or

Kahr Arms 9mm compact. $700+

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_p.html

I really liked the .38 special I saw today. The guy said I could leave it loaded forever and it would shoot when I was ready. No worries. It felt good in my hand. I think it was around $399 used. He showed me two .38s. One had a smaller grip than the other but they were both Smith & Wesson. [[I need a spreadsheet to keep track of all of them!)

If someone entered my home and I felt threatened...you bet I'd shoot. My house, my stuff, my safety...shame on them for trying to take it away from me. [[They already took my stuff. Now I only have to worry about my safety!)

Thank you for all of your input! I truly appreciate it.

I'm with Ray 1936, I have a Smith & Wesson 38 with a 2&1/2 inch barrel. It is lighter, easier to point and is simple to load and unload. You don't have to worry about leaving a round in the chamber and doesn't have the kick back or recoil of the larger weapons.

But there is a big difference between owning a gun and learning how to use it. A good range instructer can teach all the basics with a strong lesson on safety.

Also ammo, has a life span, you can not leave it loaded forever and expect it to fire safely if at all.

Sorry , to interrupt this fine conversation about the right type of guns to own, but isn't Obama going to take your guns away soon ? At least thats what I'm hearing from faux news and Hannity.

I think that pepper spray Oladub mentioned is starting to sound better and better

SCS I am glad you are doing your homework and listening to everbody including yourself. If you are comfortable with the .38 that is probably a good choice. You need to be comfortable with your decision in purchasing a weapon not only your skills and knowledge of the weapon but your decision as well in referance to your purchase in case you need to use it someday. My 61 year old mother still goes to the ranges and keeps in practice with many different sizes and models but I believe she last said that the old .38 is still her favorite. I would suggest a new gun is always better if it is in your budget. When buying used though just make sure it comes from a reputable dealer and you can test it out with them.

Or you could simply move to a safer neighborhood?

The reality of guns in this context, whenever you pull it, Two things happen. One is, you've just upped the ante. If the Perp is packing, his gun is no longer just to scare you, now it is to defend himself, and he will. The other, you better be prepared to use yours and mentally prepared to do so in a way to avoid criminal prosecution. Michigan laws are screwy about shooting someone in your house. Better cross every T dot every I and have your ducks in a row. You could quite easily wind up in jail trying to protect your stereo or some BS. If you MUST own a gun to live in an area, move. Many areas of the country and the immediate area even, that are much safer. You only have one life.

As I mentioned before...I have nothing of value for anyone to take. My home was broken in to a few months ago and the jackass took everything of value. I am protecting MYSELF!

Oh yeah, I live in St Clair Shores. Where do you suggest I move to that might be safer?

I owned a 22 before it was stolen from my house during a break-in. I chose that weapon because it was easy for me to conceal if I had taken it out my house, it was easy to handle and would get the job done if I ever need to use it. I purchased that weapon and obtained a permit to have it in my house before CCW was allowed. I haven't replaced my protection as of yet, only because I don't feel like going through the process required just to purchase it for home [[use only). If or when I get around to it, I will purchase a 380 this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Or you could simply move to a safer neighborhood?

The reality of guns in this context, whenever you pull it, Two things happen. One is, you've just upped the ante. If the Perp is packing, his gun is no longer just to scare you, now it is to defend himself, and he will. The other, you better be prepared to use yours and mentally prepared to do so in a way to avoid criminal prosecution. Michigan laws are screwy about shooting someone in your house. Better cross every T dot every I and have your ducks in a row. You could quite easily wind up in jail trying to protect your stereo or some BS. If you MUST own a gun to live in an area, move. Many areas of the country and the immediate area even, that are much safer. You only have one life.
    I once heard that as long as the person is in the house and not outside of the house you would be ok. Do you know if that is the case ?

Quote: "as long as the person is in the house and not outside of the house you would be ok."

If it can be determined there was no imminent threat or attempt to inflict you harm, you'll be charged with murder. It has to be in self defense. Simply being in your house is not justification for use of deadly force. I was told this by a police detective.

Quote: "as long as the person is in the house and not outside of the house you would be ok."

If it can be determined there was no imminent threat or attempt to inflict you harm, you'll be charged with murder. It has to be in self defense. Simply being in your house is not justification for use of deadly force. I was told this by a police detective.
    so who's "testimony" would the detective believe, yours or the DEAD guy?

Self-defense would be very hard to rebutt, unless the intruder was running away or asleep.

http://www.michiganvotes.org/2005-HB-5143

Quote: "so who's "testimony" would the detective believe, yours or the DEAD guy? "

Testimony? They would go to the forensics, evidence at the scene. Look at the person's background etc. They aren't simply going to high five ya and say have a nice day.

And it's easy to talk tough about your gun and how you'd use it. The reality is there are moral consequences to consider. The fact of taking someone's son, father or brother and knowing you really didn't have to. Even if you get away with it, you don't. Shooting at someone should be an absolute last resort, not the first option. However the assailant might not be as level headed. Just move to a safer neighborhood.

Sounds like some of you should do some reading about the legal use of a gun before you go pulling it on someone.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; September-02-09 at 11:46 AM.

As the link provided above shows, the laws in Michigan have changed. Any person who has illegally forced their way into your occupied home or automobile is fair game. You can fire away!

Quote: "so who's "testimony" would the detective believe, yours or the DEAD guy? "

Testimony? They would go to the forensics, evidence at the scene. Look at the person's background etc. They aren't simply going to high five ya and say have a nice day.

And it's easy to talk tough about your gun and how you'd use it. The reality is there are moral consequences to consider. The fact of taking someone's son, father or brother and knowing you really didn't have to. Even if you get away with it, you don't. Shooting at someone should be an absolute last resort, not the first option. However the assailant might not be as level headed. Just move to a safer neighborhood.

Sounds like some of you should do some reading about the legal use of a gun before you go pulling it on someone.
    "forensics" - the dead guy has a bullet in his head laying in my home after trying to rob me. I was in fear for my life.

"evidence at the scene" - the dead guy is in my home and tried to rob me. I was in fear for my life.

"Look at the person's background" - all the dead guys friends say he was such a quiet guy Sang in the choir, walked old ladies across the street. DON'T THINK SO as the dead guy would probably have a rap sheet as long as your arm.

"The fact of taking someone's son, father or brother and knowing you really didn't have to." - the dead guy didn't HAVE TO BREAK INTO MY HOME AND THREATEN ME.

Just keep turning your other cheek and we'll read about you in the crime blotter.

Just move to a safer neighborhood.
    Yeah, because crime stops at Detroit's boarder.

Last I checked, St. Clair Shores isn't exactly an unsafe community, therefore your suggestion fails to hold water.

ccbatson Guest

If a gun is what you feel you must do...A gigantic neon sign stating that you have a gun trained on any intruders and a hair trigger finger will do far more than getting into a gun fight with someone bold enough to break and enter.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    As the link provided above shows, the laws in Michigan have changed. Any person who has illegally forced their way into your occupied home or automobile is fair game. You can fire away!
    Don't try to reason with sstashmoo with the truth. He talked to a detective once.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast