Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Michigan Leads Nation in Public Corruption

gee... been like this for awhile now..

https://www.macombdaily.com/news/cop...445809a89.html

We're #1, we're #1!

I'm so proud!

Depends on how you spin it. If there are truly more occurrences, that's bad. If there are more prosecutions, that could be good, as a sign something is being done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    If there are more prosecutions, that could be good, as a sign something is being done about it.
    Yeah, I find it somewhat hard to believe we can keep up with the systemic corruption found in Chicago or New York City alone. There have been entire departments in NYC that have been under indictment, but only a few people ended up on trail as a critical city function would have collapsed if everyone involved were put in jail.

Chicago outsourced part of it's parking division after an audit found it was only recouping something like 30-40 cents on every dollar collected. Nobody went to jail from that investigation.

Corruption tends to follow money, and it's hard to believe that Michigan has enough to compete with the more prosperous states, corruption-wise.
    Last edited by JBMcB; June-06-19 at 11:58 AM.

How disappointing. Michigan has taken away one of the very few things New Mexico excelled at.

It seems to me this should be pretty easy to deal with using sting operations. If the perpetrators truly believe they're not likely to be caught then their guard should be down. If they're truly greedy, they should be all the more eager to accept a bribe from an undercover officer.

Is it that those who would initiate stings are themselves corrupt? Is it that Michigan has some particular entrapment constraints making stings more difficult to execute here than elsewhere? Is it that the perpetrators can afford to foil the stings as just a cost of doing business? Some other reason?

What needs to be done differently?

Where's Eliot Ness when you need him?

It says by number of cases brought to court,I wonder if the whole kilpatric thing brought more personal to the state and now they need to justify keeping them there.

It also appears like they do not follow the good ol boy system of the south where you do not except bribes from strangers,so I have heard anyways.

Kinda tough to infiltrate a tight click.

I do not think that the level of corruption in Michigan is outside of the norm elsewhere,outside of the one that got greedy at the demise of others,money and power breeds corruption,always has always will.

Some countries it is just a way of life,you cannot even get phone service without paying a bribe.