Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Lynn Hospital on Outer Drive, west of Fort Street in Lincoln Park closed many years ago. It was torn down. Some ministry bought the property to build a church, but nothing has sprouted but weeds. Also many years ago Outer Drive Hospital [[part of the old PCHA) was closed and purchased by Vencor for use as facility for the terminally ill. It is located on Outer Drive east of Fort Street also in Lincoln Park.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Yes, I worked at North Detroit General which changed name to Greater Detroit Hospital when the drowned Dr. bought it. He actually re-opened it since it had been closed for several years. Damn what was his name?
    There was a lot of hope and optimism when he reopened it, and for a time it was a pretty good place. It seems as soon as he died, though, the place went into the crapper.

Forgot about these two Nankin Hospital in Wayne and Ridgewood in Superior TWP.

Those two closed long ago, Yet I would not have known that there were that many hospitals around.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Forgot about these two Nankin Hospital in Wayne and Ridgewood in Superior TWP.

Not superior twp, that is in washt co ___________ no one mentioned [[or did they?) the hospital built in the eighties at Connor and I-94

Connor, 94 was Samaritan Hospital. I worked there too. Mmm, everywhere I worked seems to have closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Connor, 94 was Samaritan Hospital. I worked there too. Mmm, everywhere I worked seems to have closed down.
    Before that it was Mercy Hospital [[which was a division of Henry Ford).

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Anyone know anything about Arts Center Hospital on Woodward? I can't find any history or anything about it.
    Old promotional post card

Google Maps w/satellite view It's a bit difficult for me to make out - lies at a sloppy seam between two [[or several) different satellite images, but it looks like the building is still there. It's now part of the WSU campus, but not sure in what capacity.
    Last edited by ThaFuzz; September-03-09 at 08:14 AM.

North Detroit General was co-owned by Dr. Orekonde Ganesh, who drowned in his car in July 1996. http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4462

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    North Detroit General was co-owned by Dr. Orekonde Ganesh, who drowned in his car in July 1996. http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4462
    Thank you for digging up his name.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    St. John Northeast/Holy Cross [[Outer Drive & Van Dyke).
    Holy Cross started as St. Francis Hospital in Hamtramck, which is now City Hall.

9mile&seneca Guest

Thanks, Thafuzz

My brother was born at St. Francis in Hamtramck. I left my tonsils there.
    I figure that was an even trade.

I, and most of my cousins, were also born at St. Francis Hospital in Hamtramck. Family joke was you couldn't be more Polish than to be born in the heart of Hamtramck.

I've often wondered which of the current City Hall rooms was the original delivery room.

EastSider Guest

If you get in touch with somebody on the Hamtramck Historical Commission they might be able to answer that question. Especially try to direct your question to Greg Kowalski, because his mom was a nurse there for years.

I do know in the basement was where they kept their mental patients while waiting to transfer them to the official "loony bin." They had three or four cells with seriously thick doors on them.

Zig, Ain' t Superior Twp in Washtinaw County?

Interesting websites on old Detroit hospitals. Ran across it when I remembered Kirwood on W. Davision.

Black-Owned and Operated Hospitals in Detroit during the 20th Century

KIRWOOD GENERAL HOSPITAL [[DETROIT, MI) Detailed Hospital Profile

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Thanks, Thafuzz
    Art Center is next to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I think they store [[or used to) some of the old historic records and stuff there. I was born there in 1956. It was an osteopathic hospital.
    Here's a little info and a picture I found"Attachment 2946

When did St. Francis move and become Holy Cross? [[Which is now a Triumph Hospital, I think.) Did they have nuns as nurses? You hardly ever see that anymore.

I was born at Holy Cross, while my cousins were born at either Bon Secours or Saratoga. Are they still around? There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!

It wasn't exactly in Detroit, but I was taken to Bi-County in an ambulance once. I can't remember where that was, though.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; September-04-09 at 12:05 AM.

9mile&seneca Guest

jcole, I'm Arts Centr Class of '61

My husband was born at Art Center which I believe was originally called Woman's Hospital. My sisters were born at Deaconess, now long gone. My first real job was at Deaconess too. It was owned by my church and their associated members.

My dumb story for today. I was born at St Johns when it was very small. The nurses and most staff were Nuns. 1954 was the year of Mary as decreed by the pope. I was born on my Aunt May's birthday so my Mom gave me May as my middle name. The nun said Mary, how nice, my Mom said no May. It went back and forth. When my birth certificate arrived it stated Mary. So Mary is my legal middle name. Yuck!!!!!

Wasn't there a Doctors Hospital on Jefferson near Deaconess on the south side? It was a beautiful old building.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    It wasn't exactly in Detroit, but I was taken to Bi-County in an ambulance once. I can't remember where that was, though.
    10 Mile & Schoenherr in Warren.

Previously part of DOHC and then Horizon Health Systems along with Riverside in Trenton and DOH in Highland Park. Now part of Henry Ford Health.

Not recent at all, but there was "old " Providence, on the Blvd, down the block from Henry Ford.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    When did St. Francis move and become Holy Cross? [[Which is now a Triumph Hospital, I think.) Did they have nuns as nurses? You hardly ever see that anymore.

I was born at Holy Cross, while my cousins were born at either Bon Secours or Saratoga. Are they still around? There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!

St. Francis closed around 1970, give or take a few years. Holy Cross opened before then.

Bon Secours is still there, but it's now Beaumont Grosse Pointe.

Highland Park General Hospital on Glendale near Lodge Freeway.

I think they turned it into either some type of nursing home, or a clinic.

I was born at New Grace Hospital on 7 Mile and Meyers. It was closed and torn down, replaced by a Super Kmart, now Home Depot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast