Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dan Gilbert - A Very Good Summary Article

For anyone like myself who has been reflecting on what Dan Gilbert has achieved since news of his stroke this is an excellent article from last August:

https://www.businessinsider.com/quic...detroit-2018-8

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    For anyone like myself who has been reflecting on what Dan Gilbert has achieved since news of his stroke this is an excellent article from last August:

https://www.businessinsider.com/quic...detroit-2018-8
    Great summary. I think people forget that despite Gilbert being a business man and not always having true altruistic motives, he has been able to get the job done in Detroit. His investments have shown results, and they certainly were not without risk. Which is one reason why I don't understand some people getting butt hurt, or say things like "rich people worship" when others have nice things to say about Dan Gilbert.

There's no reason to worship him nor outright reject him. He's a businessman, and his actions have to been seen as such. It's up to the city, state and federal governments to hold powerful people such as him accountable, including ensuring they pay their fair share of taxes. Of course the city needs investment, but it can't just let billionaires have free reign -- or people like the Ilitch family will take advantage. Gilbert, thus far, hasn't generated that kind of scrutiny because his development activity has been widely seen as positive. Regardless of public opinion, the city has duty to hold the powerful accountable.

Gilbert is hopefully making money by the fistful while improving Detroit. It's a big difference between him and parasites like Maroun and half-parasites like the Ilitch family.

Downtown Detroit needs density to thrive. Gilbert creates density, while the parasites destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    There's no reason to worship him nor outright reject him. He's a businessman, and his actions have to been seen as such. It's up to the city, state and federal governments to hold powerful people such as him accountable, including ensuring they pay their fair share of taxes. Of course the city needs investment, but it can't just let billionaires have free reign -- or people like the Ilitch family will take advantage. Gilbert, thus far, hasn't generated that kind of scrutiny because his development activity has been widely seen as positive. Regardless of public opinion, the city has duty to hold the powerful accountable.
    I wholeheartedly agree, and no one should worship him. My point is when anything positive is said about him there is a percentage of people claiming worship, I think it is just hyperbole, and not constructive to discussion.

I think the biggest thing Gilbert has going for him, despite the great leadership team he has, is effective communication. He has a method of communicating that makes even projects that have been delayed or lagging for years seem fresh and exciting. That perception becomes reality, because there is a sense of openness and real dialogue, not just prepared statements. I think it is this quality that makes up more than half the perception gap between his organization and the Ilitch clan.

Gilbert, thus far, hasn't generated that kind of scrutiny because his development activity has been widely seen as positive. Regardless of public opinion, the city has duty to hold the powerful accountable.
    He hasn't generated legit scrutiny because he's a totally different animal and frankly has been nothing but a great asset to the city which is the total opposite of the Ilitches. Gilbert understands the mission and the long term goal. our other billionaires seem to just want to suck a stone dry of all the cash it's got.

The city has the duty to hold everyone accountable. I'm referring to those that don't pay their water bills or taxes, add to the blight problem, ignore traffic laws, receive tax breaks, litters, land bankers and those that look the other way when crimes occur. Everyone should be treated the same regardless of descriptors

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    I think the biggest thing Gilbert has going for him, despite the great leadership team he has, is effective communication. He has a method of communicating that makes even projects that have been delayed or lagging for years seem fresh and exciting. That perception becomes reality, because there is a sense of openness and real dialogue, not just prepared statements. I think it is this quality that makes up more than half the perception gap between his organization and the Ilitch clan.
    The communications are exciting. For me, though, the biggest thing Gilbert has going for him is that he delivers the projects.